Thailand tightens the screws on TM30 reporting, petition ongoing

webfact

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why any Expat would feel obliged to remain in Thailand at this point is beyond me..the surrounding countries are changing their immigration laws to attract more Expats, while Thailand is literally the only Asian country making it harder.

The only thing that will change their minds is when it impacts the bottom line..until then, no amount of petitioning will sway their resolve. 

7 hours ago, Mansell said:

Glad it worked for you in eight minutes........but give a thought to the folks who live a 150 kilo or more to the closest immigration office......a long round trip drive for basically nothing they don't already have in their computers. The world doesn't revolve around you, though you probably think it does. But enjoy your eight minutes of fame. Now go and report again...555

If there is a hotel close by go and book in there.  They should report you. After that Immigration have no idea that you have left the hotel. There is no requirement that I know of to inform Immigration that you have left. I could very well be wrong.  Then chuck in a new TM30 when you do your 90 day report. Then go back to the hotel for a day. Rinse and repeat. In the unlikely situation immigration police come to your house...you are screwed.

But as previous posters have said, go online or mail perhaps...the mail thing sounds a bit dodgy, I can't see how the mail would get there within 24 hours.

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The who?

I'm in Bangkok just now and it is mostly Chinese (have to be careful when I step on the kerb) Africans, Indians, etc, etc. Not many Westerners at all.

How is the Nana Hotel? Can't imagine it has changed in 2 weeks!..I'll be back there Friday.

They've done a good job refurbishing the rooms but the new steel work outside looks pretty crappy

5 hours ago, JAG said:

I must confess that I have not really been following this thread that closely for various reasons, not least because I live a mere 30 minutes drive from a very helpful immigration office. I know about the online reporting facility, I haven't signed up for it because I am told you need to use Internet Explorer and I couldn't be bothered to install it. I may sign up now. Does this picture mean, as it appears, that we can send in our TM30 by mail? If so, what is the fuss about?

I thought the same thing. If it is true we can simply mail it in, it does solve many problems. A simple and cost effective solution.

An added bonus is that if everyone does this, it dramatically increases the workload at the central immigration department where the morons in charge are most likely to see it. If they receive tens of thousands of paper TM30 reports every week from everyone who mails it in then they might seriously have to rethink the system.  Registered mail only costs 20 baht, so you can confirm they received your report. Not that it will make any difference, but it is worthwhile to try and place the burden on those coming up with the directives, rather than distributing the suffering out to the provinces where it can't be seen.

9 minutes ago, michelsavage said:

Agreed. I pushed a bit. And yes, I am an editor, I could teach English. But. I have visited and/or lived in over 90 countries. Thailand is the only country I have been to, and lived in for five years, where you have to report or have your travels reported to authorities,  and where you have to report every 90 days, even if you have a one-year visa. I am a citizen of both Canada and France. I have lived and worked in the US, in the Bahamas, in the Caribbean, in several countries of Europe. I have visited Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, and in general, I have sailed around the world. I believe Thailand, along with North Korea (possibly), maybe China, is the only country in the world with such a paranoid attitude with respect to long-term visitors. Even communist Cuba doesn't care where you are as you travel through the country. 

Yes, "hyperbole" possibly as I tend to caricaturate to make my point. And yes, it is possible to live in Thailand and not bother with any of this bureaucratic nonsense. But as a matter of principle, as one poster wrote, our contribution to Thai economy and culture is not only ignored, but squarely disrespected through this Big Brother approach, under the fantasy of disguise of "national security".

Yes, "hyperbole". But how long will it take for reality to reach hyperbole? I hope it never does. But as I see it at the present, rather than adapting to modern times, Thailand strains to remain 50 years backwards.  

China doesn't have this, China also easily gives you a permanent residency.

The only other country that has this from what i know is communist Vietnam.

Google the early signs of fascism, you will find some good references to the national security bs

On 8/13/2019 at 10:03 AM, rkidlad said:

Yeap, as time goes by, more landlords will be aware of all of this and they won’t wanna rent out to foreigners. They could be clean as whistles with nothing to hide, but why take the risk of being fined and paraded around on the news for not reporting their foreign tenants. 

All part of the plan methinks... sowing the seeds of discontent among the expat populace. High baht, talk of insurance, enforcing 24-hour reporting. They'll have you phoning in when friends spend the night next... expect ankle bracelets about this time next year. ????

16 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Great post.

As I have posted many times, that what starts out as a genuine but vague call to improve or reform something at the top, probably ministerial level, morphs into a revenue-raising exercise by the time it reaches the front line, the local offices who interface with the user. Oh, and the original purpose is completely forgotten about. The TM 30 fiasco is in no way "keeping tabs on the whereabouts of foreigners" or "preventing threats to national security". It sure is raising a lot in fines though.

Wife  is  dealing  with  this  crap  almost  daily  now,  yesterday 3  people in one  condo, 800  baht EACH or 1600  each  with  receipt,  Wife actually  spoke on  the  phone  to  the  officer at the  request of the tenant to try to educe it, nope 8 or  1600 u  choose. guess  reporting would meet the "it  never  happened" or at very best "rogue  officer" type  bs from  higher  up...guaranteed.

Im guessing  their next move  will be to increase the fine for this nationwide.

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

All part of the plan methinks... sowing the seeds of discontent among the expat populace. High baht, talk of insurance, enforcing 24-hour reporting. They'll have you phoning in when friends spend the night next... expect ankle bracelets about this time next year. ????

more  Thai  owners  now specifying  no  foreigners to  my  Wife, just to be clear she is a  real estate  agent in BKK.

9 hours ago, lkv said:

3 easy steps. 1...2...3

Screenshot_20190814-145706_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 queue no 749 at  chang  watt

2 24hrs super  post  eh  and  dont  forget you  need  to insert  reply  envelope and  stamp

3  wait  for  months (if ever)  for  password

yep  easy  as a b c

On 8/13/2019 at 9:27 AM, rkidlad said:

I wouldn't want the hassle either.

Hassle? Much as I think TM30 and all other forms of reporting are a waste of time and could be made simple - to describe it as 'hassle' is stretching things. Have you registered for online reporting? Do you know how long it takes?

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Hassle? Much as I think TM30 and all other forms of reporting are a waste of time and could be made simple - to describe it as 'hassle' is stretching things. Have you registered for online reporting? Do you know how long it takes?

months if ever in BAngkok for MANY

11 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

As a landlord of a foreign tenant, would you want the worry that your tenant might move around the country without telling you? After reading reports of Thai landlords being fined and paraded around the press by immigration, might you think it would just be easier to not rent to foreigners because it’s a hassle? 

I have registered online, yes. How long does it take? I have no idea. I’ve been waiting for over three weeks now. Please tell me how long this ‘hassle-free’ process will take? 4 weeks? 2 months? A year? Oh, so easy. 

Removed a post (and responses) that claimed others were paid to post. If you have any actual evidence please forward it to support. If it's just a lame debating tactic, further references like that may find you without posting rights. 

16 hours ago, rexall said:

Yes. It is really scary!  If I ever get to be dictator of someplace--unlikely as that might be--I will recruit all these guys and offer them charter memberships in my country.

Equally tragic is that back in the West they're struggling to recruit traffic wardens. Some people have really missed their vocation in life. 

47 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Yes, it's amazing how many posters on this thread that are moaning about the TM30 don't actually live in Thailand.........

I think you would find thats the case for lots of topics, the most vocal critics are posting from mums basement. It would be great to see IP addresses/country in profiles.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:36 PM, Matzzon said:

This was like I thought from start. No change. everybody still needs to do the TM30. The petition only made the authorities more irritated.

Good work. Now all supporters to this complaining petition feel happy with themselfs.

Think we will need another petition. Please create a law that says stop complain or be deported.

So why are you complaining? 

6 hours ago, emptypockets said:

How is the Nana Hotel? Can't imagine it has changed in 2 weeks!..I'll be back there Friday.

They've done a good job refurbishing the rooms but the new steel work outside looks pretty crappy

I'm sorry. I have not been there for a full year, it's the buffet breakfast that I like, so

I only drop in very occasionally.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Really? What percentage of posters on here moaning don’t even live here? 

I think it’s more amazing that posters who have no problem complying with this recently enforced law and don’t mind doing it, would keep making post after post condemning posters who think it’s stupid. That’s what’s truly amazing. 

Not many, but, at least two.

You're entitled to your amazement. Just as those who regard the TM30 as a small mole-hill (rather than a mountain) are entitled to post on this thread.

2 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I'm very pleased to say, that I left in March this year, and I enjoy discussions about Immigration changes in Thailand, from outside of Thailand.

You've made it sound a bit like, we should not comment unless we are geographically located there, which I disagree with.

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

You're entitled to your amazement. Just as those who regard the TM30 as a small mole-hill (rather than a mountain) are entitled to post on this thread.

Right, but you said, and I quote, "it's amazing how many posters on this thread that are moaning about the TM30 don't actually live in Thailand" Not many, but at least two, isn't indicative of a great quantity to be amazed at. Quite the opposite, actually. 

You're entitled to any opinion you want. Might be an idea to explain as to how you've formed this opinion. After all, you said we shouldn't get stuck in an "echo chamber" Enlighten us.........please. 

On 8/13/2019 at 4:38 PM, rkidlad said:

Try doing it in Bangkok. Spend half the day in immigration on a Monday because you wanted to go away for a weekend. Then come back and tell us how easy it all is. 

He will now respond that you are daft to live in Bangkok rather than Nakhon Nowhere.

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Right, but you said, and I quote, "it's amazing how many posters on this thread that are moaning about the TM30 don't actually live in Thailand" Not many, but at least two, isn't indicative of a great quantity to be amazed at. Quite the opposite, actually. 

You're entitled to any opinion you want. Might be an idea to explain as to how you've formed this opinion. After all, you said we shouldn't get stuck in an "echo chamber" Enlighten us.........please. 

Online reporting. My immigration office only want a TM30 when coming back from abroad, though, I wouldn't have a problem with reporting if I have been out of province. Why? Because I can do it online. If for some reason I can't do it online, then a 20 minute ride to the immigration office and three minutes at the drive-thru with just my passport and previous TM30 slip and it's done.

You want to complain about something? Complain about the new seasoning requirement for the 800k to get the extension for retirement.

6 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

you don't like me posting on this thread because I don't have the same opinion as you

Never said that. You're putting words in my mouth.

6 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Isn't that a bit two-faced and hypocritical?

Keep attacking, I keep reporting.

Cheers.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:47 PM, taninthai said:

No but I have to buy a license to watch tv or have a dog or go fishing ,have to fill in a census form every now and the have to pay extortionate council tax every month ....now that’s stuff to moan about.

you didn’t answer my question so you travel and return 3 times every week?..

Thailand also has a regular census of foreigners called TM30, no fish in the rivers, worst TV in the world stray rabid dogs everywhere and many places have no regular rubbish collection. That's why UK is called a 'first world' country.

Archived