BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand tightens the screws on TM30 reporting, petition ongoing

The latest info from immigration attached in the article, it says, YOU have to report when leaving the province you registered in to immigration officer within 48(!) hour or local police. But what about your friends, landlords, hotel owners etc, that have to report your stay within 24 hours. Double report now? First from landlords within 24 hours, then from you within 48 hours. This if you stays away more then 24 hour.

It´s all a crazy mess!

Article 37 immigration law.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, poohy said:

IMHO telling Thais what to do never ends well, they just sulk this applies from Plumbers, electrician to these immigration chappies.

Knowing the Thai mentality complete with their limited education and IQ it Stands a perfectly good chance they will out of sheer spite just make life even more difficult.

Sadly ....Better the devil you know

I also get that strange feeling that this is going to fire backwards. With all good intents, a petition is not the Thai way. Especially not when brought up by aliens.

If anything, it's now high up the radar to get enforced even more.

Maybe it just would have gone away over time, or not that strictly enforced, together with so many other things which have been talked about and suddenly were gone.

This one not now, at least not for a while. Only thing I hope they get right ... working technology to the rescue!

Edited by TG911

Thats because you probably don’t live in Bkk. That’s a real pain to go from my house in sukhumvit 101 to changwattana everytime i am leaving bkk for a weekend. I am working mon-fri and i dont have 4h to go to immigration every monday, + it cost me about 400b to go there. If you leave in the province then i understand you are fed up but many expats lives in bkk and thats not as convenient as taking just 8 mins, it takes me 4h... Until there will be a working online registration i wont stop hoping this tm 30 thing stops. The point being a criminal he won’t  comply to this registration obviously so it does not change anything for bad guys but make the life of the good ones more  difficult. 
I sympathise and I'm in a similar position. Doing it by post is a solution.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, lkv said:

Set up a company for PR or citizenship to avoid TM30? 🙂

Firstly, those are not guaranteed to get, so most likely you'd be wasting your money in paying unnecessary tax. As others have stated, they aren't fooled by shell companies that just meet minimum requirements.

Secondly, would you like to be Thai?

If I had your visa, I would skip both TM30 and 90 day reporting altogether, and not visit Immigration. Make life easy.

If one really needs to interact with them, deal with the fines at that time.

Not saying you should, saying I probably would, if I had your visa.

Yes you are totally right, i was just mocking the requirements and how they encourage you to jump through loopholes instead of going the legit route. Someone else held me a preach last week in the visa subsection of how i should be as legitimate as him and "just get a PR" ...

I do have friends in Bkk that went through PR process and got declined, people with thai kids, thai language skills and 30+ thai employes, i wouldn't even bother trying it.

The only time it makes sense to try is if you are working for a thai company anyway.

I can live with it,, just ask them to revert back to being able to fill the form at any police station & file & madmen I am no coward

On 8/13/2019 at 3:47 PM, taninthai said:

No but I have to buy a license to watch tv or have a dog or go fishing ,have to fill in a census form every now and the have to pay extortionate council tax every month ....now that’s stuff to moan about.

you didn’t answer my question so you travel and return 3 times every week?..

Dog licence? They were stopped over 30 years ago. 55555555

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2019 at 9:27 AM, rkidlad said:

Read a couple of reports online of landlords not wanting to rent out to foreigners because of all of this. I can't blame the landlords. I wouldn't want the hassle either. But I think a good way is to highlight every time a foreigner can't rent a place to live because of this rule and landlords not wanting to rent to them. If foreigners find it hard to rent here, that just exposes this silly law even more for what it is and the unnecessary trouble it's causing. 

I believe that this issue is easy to solve. Just the landlord give this responsibility to the tenant, if he/she fail the landlord will charge any fine on the next rent bill.

Edited by roadrunner32

On 8/13/2019 at 3:46 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

I can't understand why they are so paranoid about national security? What's the problem? What is the true purpose of the TM30?

None of us are interested in taking over the country. Someone should tell them we only came here for the pussy.

and a lot more came here to retire, marry and have a peaceful life.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Surely there's a common sense solution for those on a Non-O with a consistent track record for, say, 5 years? 

A preferred customer program?Unfortunately we are not preferred.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:21 PM, rbmcn said:

Trekked up to Bkk immigration for TM30.  Been here 10 years.  Takes us almost an hour. Was told by staffers that reporting in by TM30 is unnecessary for us.🤪  

That's one staffer, what about the others?

• Like 1