Thailand tightens the screws on TM30 reporting, petition ongoing

webfact

I apologise if I appear conceited by stating that all you have to do is download the application and register online. It is a fact that once you are registered, it is very easy.

However, so many people seem to be complaining about either the download not working or not receiving passwords that there must be something wrong with the system.

I am no techie - quite the opposite but I remember posting in another thread a while back that I could see the system crashing if a lot of people started registering. I was told I was talking rubbish, it was only a tiny application and would not crash - well something's wrong now.

I was very lucky because a young girl at Korat Immigration completed my online application for me, all I had to do was fill in the username and password that came the next day. All seemed to work well then and has done since but clearly there's something wrong now.  I guess the problem could be with the technology, the people checking the application or both.

If the application itself is unstable or crashing due to the amount of people trying to register I would not be surprised by either. I would very much doubt that Thai Immigration would pay a real professional to build the application - probably someone on 15,000 per month. I have a Thai friend who's an IT teacher at a technical college, I asked him to have a look at my laptop which was running very slowly and he completely screwed it up. I'm sure there are some real IT professionals in Thailand but I don't think they'll work for the wages government departments pay.

I can imagine one poor young girl, probably one of the students you see working in immigration, sitting there at her computer with 1000's of TM30 applications backed up whilst her computer also crashes due to it being still on XP with a memory measured in mb instead of gigs.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

1. Comply with the rules for TM30.

2. Don't bother with it at all and just pay the fines as and when they come up.

3. Go live in another country.

Number 2 is me. I couldn't care less, 2000 baht fine I can afford. If they want 10000 baht I can still afford it. I am going to be pixxx if it happens one day, but I have other things to worry about than TM30. 

26 minutes ago, balo said:

Number 2 is me. I couldn't care less, 2000 baht fine I can afford. If they want 10000 baht I can still afford it. I am going to be pixxx if it happens one day, but I have other things to worry about than TM30. 

agree ….  i'm not telling the office every time I go for a shit 

14 hours ago, meand said:

It makes me wonder how many of you would/could cope if there was an actual problem, like a natural disaster. If you can't even make it through this 'outrageous tm30 debacle'. 

Well we  wouldnt stand  around  videoing it and making an uproar on facebook like the Thais do wed  be  out there  digging out survivors  whilst the authorities  tried to round us  up for working without a  permit

Should the hospital admin require to the report to the Immigration when the foreigners are there? My wife will be admitted to the hospital for brain surgery and she require to stay 7 - 8 days there. As a husband, I require stay there for 7 - 8 days too to watch over her.  

As stated that, the property owner require to report TM.30 if any foreigner staying in their home, otherwise the foreigner do it for property owner with the require documents. But then, I can't leave my wife behind, and waste half-day in the Immigration Office. Secondly, the hospital admin will not give their tabian baan, directors ID and etc. Thirdly, the hospital admin will not do it for you because they need to save patients.

24 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Well we  wouldnt stand  around  videoing it and making an uproar on facebook like the Thais do wed  be  out there  digging out survivors  whilst the authorities  tried to round us  up for working without a  permit

Actually, vlogging the chaos in Chaengwattana, with Indians camped on the floor eating lunch due to the lack of chairs, and mountains of paper on staff desks might not be a bad idea if someone managed it discreetly. A Hong Kong airport style video would certainly raise some eyebrows.

12 minutes ago, macgver said:

Should the hospital admin require to the report to the Immigration when the foreigners are there? My wife will be admitted to the hospital for brain surgery and she require to stay 7 - 8 days there. As a husband, I require stay there for 7 - 8 days too to watch over her.  

You'll just be a visitor, no need to register any change in your usual accommodation. Best wishes with your wife's surgery. 

On 8/14/2019 at 3:12 PM, Vacuum said:

This has been going on since they introduced the 90 days report... :thumbsup:

The 90 day report is a confirmation of your address, why do yhey need a TM 30? I have my own condo so confirm my own address on a TM30 same difference. A waste of paper and an annoyance.

5 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

The 90 day report is a confirmation of your address

Yep, I've said as much before.  I can't really understand that part - they seem to be refusing to let some people report their address (TM47) because they have not reported their address (TM30) ????.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, lkv said:

You like posting your positive stories but don't need/like to hear other people's negative stories.

Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not. Yes it is.  No its not.

For heavens sake just block him.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:43 PM, gunderhill said:

so you had to report in  London did you?

I wonder how Thai visitors to the UK would feel about being subjected to the same requirements? As far as I know, once a Thai enters the country on their (Max 6 months?) visa they do not have to report their whereabouts at ANY time, regardless of where they are spending that time - either in one place, or spending a few days/weeks in different locations. They have been "vetted" and accepted and as far as I can see the security risk excuse by the Thai Government/Immigration is exactly that - an excuse for not admitting that their security systems have let criminals/undesirables into the country in the first place!

As another poster puts it - it would be interesting to find out how many "criminals" have been caught as a result of this compulsory "TM 30" reporting? I would suspect that no real criminals would even  know what a "TM 30" form is - and I am not referring to overstayers, or people without enough funds in a Thai bank to qualify for a yearly extension!

9 hours ago, sambum said:

I wonder how Thai visitors to the UK would feel about being subjected to the same requirements? As far as I know, once a Thai enters the country on their (Max 6 months?) visa they do not have to report their whereabouts at ANY time, regardless of where they are spending that time - either in one place, or spending a few days/weeks in different locations. They have been "vetted" and accepted and as far as I can see the security risk excuse by the Thai Government/Immigration is exactly that - an excuse for not admitting that their security systems have let criminals/undesirables into the country in the first place!

As another poster puts it - it would be interesting to find out how many "criminals" have been caught as a result of this compulsory "TM 30" reporting? I would suspect that no real criminals would even  know what a "TM 30" form is - and I am not referring to overstayers, or people without enough funds in a Thai bank to qualify for a yearly extension!

It's the same in the US.  My wife has a ten year tourist visa for the US.  When she visits the US, she is not required to show any funds in an American bank, no 90 day reporting requirements, or idoitic TM forms to report her movements.  This is a ten year visa that doesn't require being renewed every year.  

Thai spouses of Americans are treated the same as US citizens while visiting the US.  This is a far cry from the way Americans are treated in Thailand who are married to Thais.

Thai Immigration leaders should wake up and stop trying to act like this is North Korea.  Personally, I would like to see western countries start treating Thais like the Thais treat westerners.  God Bless the people who started and support this TM30 petition.  Are you listening Thai Immigration?    

58 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

It's the same in the US.  My wife has a ten year tourist visa for the US.  When she visits the US, she is not required to show any funds in an American bank, no 90 day reporting requirements, or idoitic TM forms to report her movements.  This is a ten year visa that doesn't require being renewed every year.  

Thai spouses of Americans are treated the same as US citizens while visiting the US.  This is a far cry from the way Americans are treated in Thailand who are married to Thais.

Thai Immigration leaders should wake up and stop trying to act like this is North Korea.  Personally, I would like to see western countries start treating Thais like the Thais treat westerners.  God Bless the people who started and support this TM30 petition.  Are you listening Thai Immigration?    

My gf has a 10 year H1B visa too, tho i am not american citizen.

Safe to say they treat every tourist/person good after the initial visa is issued, they already checked you - if you weren't ok in their books they wouldn't have issued you the visa.

whaaat? must report to mummy every time i travel for more than 24 hours?

HHHAHAHAAA go stick it up your you know what.

just travel and be happy.

As more than one thai people explained to me, all laws in thailand

are merely reccomendations and breaking them can be forgiven with the

right amount of you know what.

check out the immigaration ad  - foreigners are still reffered to as "ALIENS"...
Japan allready changed this weird word all over it's airports.
when Thailand will grow up?
"Alien" is a legal term for foreigner. Perhaps a bit outdated, but I don't see why it should not be used in an immigration context.

Just now, nrasmussen said:
1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:
check out the immigaration ad  - foreigners are still reffered to as "ALIENS"...
Japan allready changed this weird word all over it's airports.
when Thailand will grow up?

"Alien" is a legal term for foreigner. Perhaps a bit outdated, but I don't see why it should not be used in an immigration context.

The US uses alien as well and for the same purposes

On 8/18/2019 at 1:51 AM, sambum said:

My partner and I went to London and Ireland (Rep.) on the same UK visa and never had to do any reporting of any kind. This in a country that was attacked by terrorists. There is a fine line between the duty to protect people and allow them their civil rights and their right to freedom. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 3:14 PM, Joe Mcseismic said:

If this thread was only for people that thought the TM30 policy was bad, then it would be just an echo chamber. What would there be to discuss? Sounds boring, but, what would I know, I don't have a life (note to self.......got to get out more).

Stating that I don't have a problem with it is celebrating? Not according to my dictionary.

Your last statement is just a cop out, which shows that you are not really interested in opposing views, just people to reinforce your own limited view.

There are enough laws and restrictions in this world without making laws that are unworkable, unfair and have no useful purpose.  

While you may not have a problem with it it would be nice of you to accept that others are having problems with it.

A case in point; 

A good friend of mine had to leave the country to extend his education visa. On return to his same address he reported to his landlord that he had left the country and that a TM30 had to be completed by him within 24 hours. The landlord told him he was too much trouble and asked him to leave. He went to Changwattana and had to pay 800฿ fine. Plus he had to travel by taxi over and back 3 times at a cost of 3000 Baht.

Now is that fair? The government are implimenting a regulation that Thai people will not comply with but it is the honest visa holder who is fined and inconvenienced.

I have had that same problem several years ago when I was renting when the landlord would not produce his ID or address for immigration. 

It is not fair and not logical. All laws and regulations should have logic attached to them. While I personally have had no problems recently, it is an extra unnessary,

(costly in many cases) laborious chore. 

On 8/13/2019 at 3:07 PM, webfact said:

In the meantime, the inconvenience of Section 37 will remain a clear and present annoyance.

I am a little confused...
1: What does section 37 has to do with TM30 ?

2: as per this sign: it is intended for immigrants ? so not for Non-immigrants and tourists ?

imageproxy.jpeg

On 8/13/2019 at 5:39 AM, taninthai said:

Guy must be working 7 days a week if he travelling that much ,don’t sound like much of a life .......you get 48 hours to report ????

would imagine his passport would be full with stamps by the end off the month too????????????

Not really believable is it.

I run into guys like you all the time in Thailand, riding their bikes or motorbikes and never really travel much. Personally it would bore me to tears. But, different strokes.

I have a hobby where I didn't even have a home in Thailand for 5 years. Moving around and living in guest houses, mostly renting a room or apt for a month at a time. For me a great life. But when they started enforcing the TM-30. It became hell for me.. GH's refusing to rent to me. Or charging me extra fees. 

Bottom line is not everyone lives the type of life you live. And surely not what I would call a life what so ever, for me!  For you yes.. So spare us all the nonsense please.

I finally left Thailand because of all the hassles of moving around. In the end I would have to locate an immigration office and take a day or two out of my schedule to deal with all the nonsense. Then deal with the guest house or apt. owners.  What a bunch of paranoid nonsense IMHO.

1 hour ago, My 2 cents said:

I am a little confused...
1: What does section 37 has to do with TM30 ?

2: as per this sign: it is intended for immigrants ? so not for Non-immigrants and tourists ?

imageproxy.jpeg

As per. .. permitted to take temporary residence..... Etc. 

Archived