Thailand tightens the screws on TM30 reporting, petition ongoing

webfact

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there are 35,000,000 tourists a year in Thailand so that’s around 100,000 TM30’s filed every day. If some of those tourists stay in multiple hotels then that number goes up pretty fast . How many people are employed just doing TM30 reports .
The way that some of the Thais that I know work in a government office, there must be 20,000 employed to do TM30.

One to turn on the computer, one to type in the data, another one to check, another to supervise the controller and one to answer any questions.
After doing that for 2 TM30s time for a 45 minute chat on Line or Facebook and a few snacks.

I am not exaggerating too much, having watched some of the staff work.

I believe, however that the staff at immigration really have their hands full over the TM30 saga.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, taninthai said:

I’m so fed up reading about tm30 on this forum ......I just did mine this morning in and out in 8 minuits ,immigration were happy,smiling,friendly and helpful seriously what is all the fuss about ....moaners will be moaners where ever they are in the world.

But you don't have a day job, be a landlord and have to drop everything to do it within 24 hours of your tenant's return.

Self centred comment.

4 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

I can  look at and  read any document in my own country, i can stand up and criticise the govt or monarchy publicly without fear of incarceration.

Agreed. But he is correct in so far as the education system in any country promotes the established order.

Just like all the complainers about the Visaś etc. and what they do? Tighten things up.

A petition. Seriously?

Non Thais seem to think they have a bunch of power here typical ego driven nonsense.

Important in your minds, they could careless what you think.

16 hours ago, taninthai said:

I’m so fed up reading about tm30 on this forum ......I just did mine this morning in and out in 8 minuits ,immigration were happy,smiling,friendly and helpful seriously what is all the fuss about ....moaners will be moaners where ever they are in the world.

such a narrow minded and selfish comment. What about people who need to travel multiple times per week on a regular basis? Don't worry, there will be a new rule sooner or later that will come into play, that will totally mess your life up. There seems to be a new one every month, your time will come too 

Went up-country to visit the family on Wednesday and came back on Sunday. Didn't do the TM30 ritual. Like someone else said (I think on here) unless you are checked by Immigration when leaving your place, followed, timed at how long you stay up-country, who is to know!!! 

7 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

such a narrow minded and selfish comment. What about people who need to travel multiple times per week on a regular basis? Don't worry, there will be a new rule sooner or later that will come into play, that will totally mess your life up. There seems to be a new one every month, your time will come too 

Read Thaivisa in more depth and you will be astonished by the number of people who actually seem to get off on justifying their existence every five minutes. Maybe it is a uniform fetish / latent fascism / gratitude they actually have something to do for a change, but there are a lot of them out there...

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

My grandeurs of feeling that my privacy was being invaded and all the other paranoia that came along with it of late have left me now, and I feel relieved that they didn't cheese me off by fining the wife, because no doubt I would have had to pay it ????

Computerizing a "Police state process" won't change the fact that TM30 is a police state process. I resent the fact that any entity could feel it has the need to know my whereabouts at all time.

Ooh BTW, my wife got her TM30 house registration in less than 24hours, and I could "finance" a dozen of "Thai Wife" visas, but that doesn't change the fact that I am thinking of leaving, sometimes. ????

16 hours ago, taninthai said:

Not really 30 minuits ride on the bike but I like getting out and about and riding the bike so it’s no big deal.

If you enjoy the TM30 experience so much maybe you can do all us a favor and do ours, or mine for me. Thx.

8 minutes ago, rtco said:

Went up-country to visit the family on Wednesday and came back on Sunday. Didn't do the TM30 ritual. Like someone else said (I think on here) unless you are checked by Immigration when leaving your place, followed, timed at how long you stay up-country, who is to know!!! 

Nobody, the problem could starts if you stay in a hotel or similar and they are following the rules and report your presence, or if someone for some reason reports to the local authority that you are there. 

Article 37. I was told by Ubon Immigration that you could not report to my local police ( which would save me a 180 km round trip )  as they are not hooked up to the system for reporting. I pointed to the poster, but his reply was that the law was 40 years old and out of date, that it only applied when there were limited Immigration offices to report to ! but not now as they have many office's.

8 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Nobody, the problem could starts if you stay in a hotel or similar and they are following the rules and report your presence, or if someone for some reason reports to the local authority that you are there. 

That"s right it's only those that try to follow the rules that get fined.Those that don't follow the rules don't get fined.Even if you make your report to the police you will still get fined because they're not connected to the immigration system.

Overheard the other day "My landlady flatly refused this nonsense; ever since all hotel bookings are done in the name of my wife and I - officially - stay at home and dont go anywhere."

As long as 75% all Thais (at least) are NOT living at their registered address I consider this TM30 business nothing short of harassment of aliens - or smoke screening for much bigger things happening in the clouds. Only future will tell but by then quite a few aliens will have made up their mind as well and moved elsewhere - for good! 

17 hours ago, taninthai said:

Not really 30 minuits ride on the bike but I like getting out and about and riding the bike so it’s no big deal.

You are lucky enough to be able to ride somewhere without getting chased by mental soi dogs!

I am jealous.

I don't know where you reported but I have had to wait 1-2 hours in queues several times to get in within the 24 hour time limit.  So 'What is all the fuss' - that is the fuss.  You were fortunate, it does not mean your 8 minute experience is the same everywhere else.  Immigration offices get absolutely clogged with people lining up outside the doors in blistering heat.  Not good when you have sciatica either.  Have seen people just giving up and walking away several times, flared tempers, people almost getting into fights from the bumping and cramped conditions.  it is an absolute nightmare of an experience most of the time.  I have been lucky in an off season to get in and out in about 20 minutes.  That was a record for me.  It all depends on where you are staying and where you report.  So I feel there are legitimate 'moaners' here.  

I get the importance of national security and the huge problem that Thailand has with over-stayers and illegal workers - mostly from the neighbouring countries.  I just feel it is time for some tweaking of the laws to make it easier for everyone.  Immigration officers are stressed too with the influx of people.  There is no respite at several offices.  

So you're fed up reading stuff that nobody forces you to. 

But you enjoy spending time doing totally unnecessary stuff that the Thai government forcing you to do. 

"I'm so fed up reading about tm30..." 

"....moaners will be moaners where ever they are in the world." 

Prove it! LOL

I get that some pensioners don't see this as a problem, I get it because when I get to your age I will go and drive during rush hour for fun and enjoy slowing down people who have somewhere to go but

if you work and travel I can see this as a real problem,  I don't know if the penalty will be worse than forgetting to do a 90 day report when your business travel plans are interupted

28 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Computerizing a "Police state process" won't change the fact that TM30 is a police state process. I resent the fact that any entity could feel it has the need to know my whereabouts at all time.

Ooh BTW, my wife got her TM30 house registration in less than 24hours, and I could "finance" a dozen of "Thai Wife" visas, but that doesn't change the fact that I am thinking of leaving, sometimes. ????

Thanks, yeh I know how you feel, it is a lot to take in, I have been ducking and weaving for the past 4 years living here.

I thought moving out of a big city back in the old country and moving to the country life here would be really good, don't get me wrong, it is, until you get a blackout because someone farted, so your without power or internet for who knows how long, 1, 2, 3, 4 hours plus.

Neighbours not being able to afford gas bottles to cook, burn that horrible charcoal stuff all at the same time which is toxic, so one has to run around closing all the windows and doors before you get a flood of it in the house at around 6pm even though we are a good distance from the neighbours, it still travels, then there's the burning season, 2-3 months of farmers burning their rice fields or sugar cane crops because the tractor blokes charge more if they don't and the place reaks until about 10am, then there's the rubbish burning, when they want, how they want, plastics and all, all year round, I mean you could have your windows open and the old girl next door who's house is at east 30 metres away, will decide oh, there is a good spot, right under the farangs living room window, no rubbish truck to collect rubbish, put that forward to the mayor, oh, yes no one want it, cost money, but the neighbouring village has one and they do not burn rubbish, not allowed, cooking with charcoal is ok and very seldom do they get a blackout.

If I didn't build this house here 6 beds, 3 baths and have kids to relocate with me, I would be long gone to the Greek islands, but I weigh it all up and as quick as the negatives enter my mind, I have to accept them and shut them out, duck and weave, that or pack it up and go back to greener pastures that I once had, but pay through the nose for the privilege, and then put up with all the crap that goes on there, but at least the garbage gets collected, burning of anything is banned and I would probably be living in a rented 3 bedroom one bathroom place which would cost me 4 years of dead rent money which is what I paid to build this place.

Caught between a rock and a "HARD" place, but as they say, we all have choices, so we either shut, put up, or stage left, exit ????

Archived