Thailand tightens the screws on TM30 reporting, petition ongoing

webfact

20 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

National Security.

What exactly does this mean? It seems to me to be a bogus term that officials like to throw around which allows them to enact any and all stifling policies (no matter how ridiculous) to apparently protect citizens of a certain nation.

In short it is a load of BS!

It's the same as the other over used term 'terrorism' just a blanket all encompassing phrase as the morons don't have the ability to explain what it is exactly they are trying to do.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, stevomaui said:

If you look at the crystal ball of retiring in Thailand try living in Mainland China where everyone is is tracked on CCTV and all actions are recorded

Sounds like the U.K. to me......you know a huge percent off car parks in Uk are know controlled by number plate reconition cameras,same for central London.

there is no escape.

even people in villages will forwardbyour details to the police if they don’t like the way you are driving through there little village.

the government have everyone so under control everyone is snitching each other up to the police now,,,,,it saves the police having to do there job.

2 minutes ago, THE REVERAND said:

If you keep tightening THE SCREWS it will eventually SNAP the SCREW.  The problem is these people who are tightening the SCREWS will STRIP the SCREWS and The FARANGS WILL BE GONE FOREVER. 

And the Thais will say "Yipeeeeeeeee" when that happens.

20 hours ago, madmen said:

The cowards that won't sign and living in fear grow a pair and just do it. 

Not living in fear at all. In 30 years I have never had a single problem with Thai Immigration. Why, therefore, should I sign this pathetic petition ? It is a disaster which will make things more difficult for all of us. You really need to grow up and get out more before making such a childish comment.

Yesterday I spoke with about 14 or 15 expats (USA, OZ, UK) in Pattaya during lunch at Sue's Place asking questions about their Immigration experiences. Each person has been living in Thailand for not less than 10 years. 

They all were rather positive about their experience at Jomtien Immigration.  Unless they mistimed being there (e.g., day after a Holiday) their processing time was about 10 ~ 15minutes, a good friend claimed 5 minutes during his last 90 Day report. 

As for their Yearly "retirement" extensions, no issues for them because they all do the 800k Baht deposit.  They deposited their money, and leave it alone, therefore they minimize any hassles with Immigration.  

They seem to not have any problems with Immigration.  

None of them have signed the petition; they know Foreigners cannot nor will Foreigners influence a change in Thai law for the Foreigners' convenience.  

20 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Read a couple of reports online of landlords not wanting to rent out to foreigners because of all of this. I can't blame the landlords. I wouldn't want the hassle either. But I think a good way is to highlight every time a foreigner can't rent a place to live because of this rule and landlords not wanting to rent to them. If foreigners find it hard to rent here, that just exposes this silly law even more for what it is and the unnecessary trouble it's causing. 

"Read a couple of reports online of landlords not wanting to rent out to foreigners because of all of this".

Must be true, then, if you've read anonymous reports of it online!

9 minutes ago, MainBerry said:

If I leave in one province to travel to another, do I have to report in all provinces I cross? ????

Since they're not applying the TM28 system (as far as I am aware), then YOU do not have to worry about reporting anywhere.  It's the responsibility of the hotelier/landlord/owner of the places you stay at.

You are only responsible for completing the TM30 if you are the "housemaster" in any of the places you chose to stay at or return to.

(Strictly speaking of course....)

20 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Read a couple of reports online of landlords not wanting to rent out to foreigners because of all of this. I can't blame the landlords. I wouldn't want the hassle either. But I think a good way is to highlight every time a foreigner can't rent a place to live because of this rule and landlords not wanting to rent to them. If foreigners find it hard to rent here, that just exposes this silly law even more for what it is and the unnecessary trouble it's causing. 

Had this happen to me. 

But i read that the thai people were also required to report wherever they are?

Example:- my partner was born in Buriram,  but her son was registered as born Petchabun his father's town.

Both live in Pattaya. 

Their id cards are not updated.

She is registered in the home town blue book as nang rong. 

Rental properties take a copy of the id card, but it shows place of birth address.

Is there a different mechanism for recognizing the location of thais?

Different strokes for different folks.

21 hours ago, rkidlad said:

well if you really look at all these difficultys living here ( tm 30, strong bhat , raising crime ,corruption, road insecurity, law insecurity , permanent political instability and environmental disaster on a regular base and authoritys looking the other way ) why anyone wanna still come to live here full time by investing his life savings on another persons name ?

any answers...???

( and cheap prostitutes you can find everywhere else in the world too )

well about petition...in a real democratic country this could lead to a change of mind and to a soften of the law finally ...but in wonderland this approach will raise anger and discernment at the decision-makers tables...these stinking falangs wanna tell us the master race how to run our supercountry..hey everybody who sign their toilet paper we put hunderte years in jail for computer crime...

observe rich thais even they kill nobody gives a damn..

I honestly think if all the falangs who live here long time would immediately go back home and dont send any cent to their Thai wifes or children's plus nobody would apply anymore for the long term visa to resettle here ...

thai authority couldn't care less.. immigration actually happy ..no ding dongs to handle anymore who dont even speak thai...

in the past there was a big wealth created for the isaan region because of all the marriage business going on...but this area for the rich and powerfull is slave country isaan poor or wealthy in bkk nobody gives a second thought...if they forced to sell sell their daughters ...ok so what ..new flesh for the parlour...

if chiang mai chookes to death...swiss has nice mountain resorts ... and bavaria is so beautifull..

understand ???

Thank you for bringing up my mentality with out mentioning the arrogant mentality of those like you that want to try and change Thailands Immigration Laws to suit themselves. The simple mentality is that if you think you will succeed to get Thailand to change their laws to make things easier for you because that is what you want then you need to have a good look at Thailand. If you did have a good look then you would see that for Thailand to do anything that suits a minority whinging group of ex-pats like you and your complaining mates is a lose of face for them so instead of making things easier they will more likely make things harder for everyone. This is Thailand and these are Thai laws whether you like it or not. If you do not like the laws here then move to a country that you do like the laws. For anyone from any country who thinks that they are that important to think that they can change the laws of another country is just plain arrogance because you are and always will be just a minority in that country.

Exactly. You know that’s actually the only thing that concerns me when everyone starts whining and complaining about immigration. What you’re saying has crossed my mind many times especially when they start sending petitions to immigration headquarters and nonsense like that, then I think “oh no these people are just going to piss off immigration and then they just might decide to make the rules together”. But exactly when you’re a guest in a foreign country you’re not gonna change their rules lol [emoji23] some of this stuff is literally comical to read. Most of the time I say the same thing to people if they don’t like living here no one is forcing them to live here and no one forced them to move here in the first place. And obviously if people don’t like the rules in this foreign country then they can always go home or somewhere else.

I think a lot of people are still remembering last year when they did away with the income affidavits all that uncertainty and changes really stressed people out and that made me pretty nervous as well because I’m also retired here and it all started happening right before I did my last extension but once the sand settled and immigration announced their new procedures for income verification in late December it actually turned out to be a damn good thing I actually like the new immigration procedures better. They never really changed anything as far as the actual laws the monthly income requirement and money saved is still exactly the same as it has been for several years the only thing they changed was how we prove our income now you just have to use a Thai bank account which saves me money anyway because I use the monthly income method I’m actually signed up for IDD to my Thai bank now which is great.

But I’ve never had any issues with this TM-30 I’ve done it before years ago and I’ve never had it come up again and even if you do it’s just a one page document. Worst case scenario if you make a mistake or something when reporting your address they can’t fine you more than 5000 baht maximum. But in the 5 years I’ve been living here this has literally never been a problem for me that’s why whenever I see a new topic regarding the TM-30 I usually don’t even bother to look at them anymore because it’s just like you said people looking for something to whine about. But my local immigration office is pretty good so I don’t know. I only bothered to read this topic because I was curious to see what people were posting at the moment I just decided ok click on this random topic and see what people are saying about it and of course it’s pretty much what I thought a lot of whining and complaining and people arguing about who’s right and the normal stuff. I honestly don’t spend as much time looking at this forum anymore but it can still be a good place to get information SOMETIMES, I just kind of ended up using it for information especially after last years changes. I read some of the posts on this forum sometimes and it’s amazing some of the things people will say when they are anonymous online behind the safety of the keyboard and just some of the extremists that post on here just make me say wow out loud some of it is literally funny though.

Of course one could merely fill in the TM30 by his or her self and turn it in to their local Immigration office instead of relying on someone else to do it for him or her. 

Responsibility folks: take care of it yourself because it's the only way to ensure your TM30 truly makes it's way to Immigration.  

21 hours ago, webfact said:

That a group of foreigners could possibly change Thai laws to make things more convenient and useful, is also inconceivable.

The most salient part of this article, yet the small group of whingers, armchair legal advisors, anonymous petition 'signatories' (and probably, some fictional signatories) continue their quest to be a thorn in the side of the IB and drag it out, yet again, for 18 pages...so far.

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Read a couple of reports online of landlords not wanting to rent out to foreigners because of all of this".

Must be true, then, if you've read anonymous reports of it online!

Some weren't anonymous - not everyone online hides behind a username (or has more than one account on here, Gdgbb). Some people also post on sites like twitter and facebook. Apparently they're more popular than thaivisa and the bkkpost. 

Here's one of several stories where Thais have been fined for not reporting foreigners. Now, I wonder if this sort of press would make Thai landlords less likely to want to rent out to foreigners? 

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/37452/more-thais-fined-for-not-reporting-foreigners-at-their-addresses

20 hours ago, madmen said:

The cowards that won't sign and living in fear grow a pair and just do it. 

I haven't signed it, but I object to some petty little pompeous, armchair moron accusing me of being a coward because I haven't.

Who the hell do you think you are - are you the self-appointed, "non-signing, ThaiVisa petition, police, judge and jury"?

Wind your neck in Buster - what others do is none of your damn business! 

I read the title differently. 

I read as petitioners actually causing immigration to tighten the tm30 screws. 

That is a very real possibility, whether the article meant that or not. Let's sit here and think on a small scale what the average Thai will do in Thailand when a foreigner tries to rise up and make a stink about something. It is going to get worse, much worse, almost every time. 

You know what I hope happens, forgive me but I am serious, I wish immigration would take the list of petitioners names, if that exists, and kick them out. WHY would a foreigner think it is even any of his business to petition Thai immigration policy?! 

In 5 years living here this has never been an issue and we just got back from traveling all over the country around Chiangmai a few days ago we were gone for almost a week in multiple provinces and we do travel all over Thailand all the time and it’s not a problem. Even if it does come up it’s just a one page document and they can’t fine you more than 5000 baht maximum if you did make a mistake on reporting your address. I did my TM-30 years ago and it hasn’t come up since. I usually just ignore these topics about the TM-30. Oh well I’ll continue to be sure and not worry about it when we go on our next road trip [emoji38]

26 minutes ago, friend of siam said:

well if you really look at all these difficultys living here ( tm 30, strong bhat , raising crime ,corruption, road insecurity, law insecurity , permanent political instability and environmental disaster on a regular base and authoritys looking the other way ) why anyone wanna still come to live here full time by investing his life savings on another persons name ?

any answers...???

Actually, yes.

Rising Baht - Been going on for years.

Corruption - Been here before your grandparents were born.

Road insecurity -Been like that for at least 20 years.

Law insecurity - Same answer as Corruption.

Permanent political instability - Been like that since the end of WW2.

Environmental disaster - I'll give you that one.

Authorities looking the other way - See corruption.

Can't own land - Never have been able to.

Taking this all into account and your user name, why did you choose it?

1 hour ago, stevomaui said:

It's becoming obvious that the collar is being tightened slowly but surely. Like a frog in the pot whose flame is at the lowest setting . Asia is being reclaimed by Asians and the western currency backed expats have played out their part . If you want a taste of whats to come look at whats happening in Hong Kong . big brother has come to claim his treasure .  If you don't think China is playing the puppeteer just look at the countries surrounding the Land of Smiles....Laos , Cambodia and Myammar are all being bought out and organized by the Motherland . Go check out Luang Praban . What a travesty !!  What ethnic presence is running Thailand's banks , corporations and major money making endevors ?? Chinese bloodlines .......If you look at the crystal ball of retiring in Thailand try living in Mainland China where everyone is is tracked on CCTV and all actions are recorded and assessed . 10 years max before you have to report what toothpaste you bought ,,,,,,,,,

Unfortunately, concerning China, I think you are right. I have written on this forum a while back about China. China wants control of all the south china sea and any land mass that's in it. As far as they are concerned Mongolia will also be 'reclaimed' one day. They also want Mandarin to be the international language because more people speak Mandarin than any other language...the fact that most of those speakers live in China is shrugged off. Apart from any changes in immigration requirements, the one thing that would make me leave Thailand is if I thought the Chinese army and admin were ready to enter Thailand officially. So I'm keeping my eye on this 'Cambodian/Thai border situation.

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Actually, yes.

Rising Baht - Been going on for years.

Corruption - Been here before your grandparents were born.

Road insecurity -Been like that for at least 20 years.

Law insecurity - Same answer as Corruption.

Permanent political instability - Benn like that since the end of WW2.

Environmental disaster - I'll give you that one.

Authorities looking the other way - See corruption.

Can't own land - Never have been able to.

Taking this all into account and your user name, why did you choose it?

For me this is kamma...fate if you will, impossible to explain...a choice not based on logic..

IMHO, it is likely more about harvesting people's data than national security, at least once they get the app up and running for reporting via phones, it would quite conceivably  have much valuable data about ex-pats lives for Immigration to sell or otherwise use. That would be my guess as to what all this is ultimately about. The Chinese seem as hellbent as anyone on monitoring everyone as they barrel pell mell into their smart cities ie, internet wired cities to facilitate tight surveillance and control of their population so I would guess the intelligence agencies and corporations of that country would be the main customers. On the positive side, seems the west is drifting away from security state/ defense against terrorists as the engine for their war and weapons economies towards a new cold war with Russia and/or China. Perhaps we can look forward to a respite from the constant "its for your/national security"  as to why we have to be spied on 24/7 as people come to understand and accept unfortunately that their data has value for government wings,  agencies and corporations.

I've been here, on and off, for over 10 years.  I have never, ever bothered with a TM30 as I normally stay at my house in Nontahburi or the other one in Lampang.

Right now I am working in Myanmar and coming home every couple of months, still using my retirement extension.

This hoopla caused me to register for the online App on Saturday, to which I got a slightly delayed reply and request to confirm my email address.

Yesterday I received the Username and password but, guess what, they don't work!

I'll take my chances when I leave again in 10 days to go back to Yangon.  I can at least show that I tried to do it right and I did register.

How do they manage to get it so wrong most of the time?  It's almost as if it was by design!

Is there a link for doing this on their website too?  Maybe it's my App!

40 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Sounds like the U.K. to me......you know a huge percent off car parks in Uk are know controlled by number plate reconition cameras,same for central London.

there is no escape.

even people in villages will forwardbyour details to the police if they don’t like the way you are driving through there little village.

the government have everyone so under control everyone is snitching each other up to the police now,,,,,it saves the police having to do there job.

I think you are confusing the UK, which does have a very impressive camera surveillance system in place to identify and arrest actual criminal offenders, with Thailand who restricts the movements of law abiding expats living in the Kingdom.  Immigration does this with TM forms, 90 day reporting, and looney financial requirements for foreigners.

The police and immigration in the UK are professional and highly trained, compared to Thailands police and immigration who tend to rise up through their ranks by paying for their positions and are poorly trained.  

I applaud the efforts of those who started this TM30 reporting petition.  I'm always surprised how when pointing out how Thai Immigration goes out of their way to harass law abiding foreigners under the guise of making Thailand safe from foreign criminals, it brings apologists out of the woodwork who attempt to defend immigrations harassment techniques.  

Do you really want to live in a police state?  I would think not. 

21 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Do you know there are actually some deluded posters on here who agree with this "silly Law"?

Archived