At what age did you leave home?

kellersphuket

hey yall,,,

I dont know about you but I left home at the tender age of 18. I started work at age 12 and was kindly asked to leave home the day after my 18th birthday by my father who wasn't the nicest person you could wish to meet. I hated him for years for what he did, but after a while I could see WHY he did it. He wanted me to live in the real world and to gain some worldly experience by standing on my own two feet. When I was in my 40's I thanked him for doing it, knowing that it made me the man I am today. totally self sufficient and self reliant.

Has anyone else noticed the way it works here? Thais seem to never want to leave home, nor do their parents seem to want to kick them out. It is not unusual for a thai family to be living in a small house together when their kids are well into their 40's and beyond..

Why is that? Dont the parents get sick of them being under the feet all the time? Dont the thai kids want their own independence and the ability to make their own life choices??

when did yall leave home? was it by force or by choice?

for all the rotten things my dad did to me as a kid I am glad that he booted me out when I turned 18. It made a man out of me.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18 and a half.

To follow my adolescent dream of seeing the Old Dart and I had a wonderful time for four years.

My family was rather splendid about it all as it was a traditional thing to do-although usually they were dressed in uniform and posed as 5 bob a day tourists.

14 half joined the ROYAL NAVY at HMS GANGES  thinking that would be the end of school  to my misunderstanding i had signed up for another year of intense schooling  still, worked out ok taught me to wash my socks and drink copious amounts of beer  and as you might of guessed more problems

3 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

14 half joined the ROYAL NAVY at HMS GANGES  thinking that would be the end of school  to my misunderstanding i had signed up for another year of intense schooling  still, worked out ok taught me to wash my socks and drink copious amounts of beer  and as you might of guessed more problems

14, wow thats young! Bet you saw the world at a young age right?

Good on you buddy!

Left when I was 25.  Had finished my BS engineering degree one year before, was still working in family restaurant for no pay and had to get on with life.  Couldn't find any engineering work in Rhode Island so staying in the area just did not seem like it was going to happen/ Joined the US Air Force, went to Officer Training School at Lackland AFB Texas 1982.

50 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

It is not unusual for a thai family to be living in a small house together when their kids are well into their 40's and beyond..

What I find strange is the kids sleep with their parents even in their twenties, strange enough once they reach three or four years old to sleep with parents where I come from!

I left home at 17, by the time I was 18 I was on-board working on a offshore drilling rig!

Left home at 10. Had 3 paper routes to do at that time. Dad chased me from the family home helped by the pack of Alsations that were biting at my heels. I remember it was snowing that day and I couldn't feel my hands or feet mainly because I had no shoes and used old socks to keep my hands warm.

Salary then was 10 pence and I was happy. It was a much better generation then and we were happy with our lot. Mum mum beat me regularly. Did I mention that we were really poor and I worked down a mine?

Good times, good times, the best of times. ????

On a separate note, Thai parents are very reliant on their kids to take care of them in their older age. Call it laziness, lack of preparation or culture. Nothing in place by the government to properly support them, so the kids are the ones. Kinda a good thing until the parents start dotting (spelling) and then it's a huge pain in the arse. Currently, have the MIL living with us and she keeps closing doors and windows and turning stuff off all day. Obsessed by it, but can't remember 5 minutes ago or to flush her 3 turds a day down the toilet. ????

8 minutes ago, CGW said:

What I find strange is the kids sleep with their parents even in their twenties, strange enough once they reach three or four years old to sleep with parents where I come from!

I left home at 17, by the time I was 18 I was on-board working on a offshore drilling rig!

Incest ............... a game for all the family. ????

Just now, CharlieH said:

Left at 19 after the usual "cant tell me what to do" that occurs after 18 type heated argument. So that was it, "I''m off" and never went back again. Always lived where I chose after that.

But still on good terms with the parents, yes??

19 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

I recall attending some ceremony there, many decades ago, including watching some young sailors climbing up a bloody big mast. One of them stood on the top of it. Got a medal for bravery I think. We were from Harwich.

Was pretty much shown the door at 16 and told to fend for myself. My old man was a selfish bastard who should never had had kids. He was probably only 37 when I left and was itching for his freedom and couldn't wait to offload the kids.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Both dead now, but yes, healed the rift some years later when I got married (first time)

Good, we all did the 'you can't tell me how to live my life' thing, but still understood why our parents did what they did. My father taught me well regarding life's rules. Thankful to him for that and he is still with us, thank goodness. ????

Great that you healed the rift. ????

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Was pretty much shown the door at 16 and told to fend for myself. My old man was a selfish bastard who should never had had kids. He was probably only 37 when I left and was itching for his freedom and couldn't wait to offload the kids.

sounds just like my old man. my mum was the same, she only had me as she couldnt cope with more. after I left they started going on luxurious holidays together 4/5 times a year, when all the time I was a kid they told me they had no money ????

5 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I think I was 5 , half mile walk to primary school but my mother always picked me up and walked me home

Same for me,

My mom used to take me, and I walked home alone.

Across the village green, and along two short roads, no traffic.

Left for University at age 19, never moved back.

Loved my parents, just never wanted to live with them as an adult.

They were both dead by the time I was 23, I'm sad I never really got to know them as an adult.

Just now, BritManToo said:

Same for me,

Mine took me and like a homing pigeon I was back within the hour ! had tea & toast and she'd take me back again.

24 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Salary then was 10 pence and I was happy. It was a much better generation then and we were happy with our lot. Mum mum beat me regularly. Did I mention that we were really poor and I worked down a mine?

This thread is heading this way. I remember when I were a lad....................

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Same for me,

Left for University at age 19, never moved back.

Loved my parents, just never wanted to live with them as an adult.

They were both dead by the time I was 23, I'm sad I never really got to know them as an adult.

Sorry to hear that mate. Mine are still chugging along in their 80s.

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Sorry to hear that mate. Mine are still chugging along in their 80s.

My mom died at 63, my dad died at 65 both from cancer, I'm 64 soon.

My family have always been a bit odd (for generations), breed in their 40s, die in their 60s. 

I've repeated the breeding pattern, expecting death to be the same.

Archived