BANGKOK 17 August 2019 18:36
snoop1130

Chinese intervention in Hong Kong would be a 'catastrophe', Patten says

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Chinese are really between a rock and a hard place with the protesters in HK.

If they send in the military or even paramilitary forces, there will be casualties and it will leave a very dark shadow over the long planned October 1st 70 years celebration in Beijing. On top of that HK could lose its special banking rights. 

Beijing better study what happened to Russia after the Crimea invasion. Sanctions are easy tools for western politician to apply.

The most logic solution would appear to let Carrie Lam step down.

It is a new show of weakness that Xi distance himself from current events and never make any public announcements. 

Just like the old Soviet Union, the Chinese press are feeding the masses with lies about the protesters.

A lot less stress to the world economy when sanctions are imposed on a nation if its exports consist mostly of natural resources. China's economy is woven into industrial supply chains around the world. Even Trump now is, in effect, acknowledging that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

And Carrie knows herself that the people don't want he so why keep banging her head against the wall, swallow your pride Carrie and go....

She has offered to resign but her masters in Beijing won't accept her resignation. She is in till the bitter end, like it or not.

It would be indeed a disaster for China , it would force the democracy group underground and from then on the bombs will start going off hatred will prevail  for decades

7 minutes ago, chainarong said:

It would be indeed a disaster for China , it would force the democracy group underground and from then on the bombs will start going off hatred will prevail  for decades

Doubt it would be a disaster for China. It's not a nation governed by the rule of law. There is no independent judicial system to stop the Chinese government from being as ruthless as it wants to be in suppressing the opposition.

• Like 1

A post with a forbidden torrent link has been removed

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Ouch !...unleashing hoardes of chinese military chaps with weapons and tanks will be a disaster in the streets of Hong Kong....those boys are trained to shoot first and then think and look ...

I don't know how Chinese soldiers think or how they would act as that would be looking into the future. What I do know is that I am not a Chinese soldier and don't know anyone that is. I served in another army for 20 years and am still unable to figure out what could happen. I guess I will just wait and see.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, olfu said:

Lets see--

China--dictatorship,

Hong Kong-- dictatorship,

US--dictatorship,

Russia--dictatorship...

etc---why the noise?

Cute but some of us see a bit of difference ... so do the people of Hong Kong ...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

In a video obtained and released by Chinese state-owned media website Global Times, dozens of military trucks and over a dozen Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) can be seen assembling in Shenzhen — less than 30km from Hong Kong — for military 'exercises'.

This was yesterday.  Just an exercise?  Chinese Government has already used the word “Terror” in reference to the Hong Kong Protesters.  I think a midnight airborne assault into Hong Kong with a column of Armored Vehicles rolling in might be in the works?  The People’s Republic is not used to dissent.  I recall a certain event 30 years ago that did not end well..  

there is an annual police training exercise in shenzhen about this time every year.  plus last week there was a graduation ceremony in shenzhen for 20k police officers.

china already has a 6000-man pla force stationed in hong kong.

25 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

What does the US do with violent protesters? What does Israel do with stone throwing Palestinians....they shoot them and use excessive force. Why wouldn't China do the same?

China has a duty to the 1.5 billion Chinese living in China proper....it cannot let CIA inspired mob violence infect the mainland. China has been successful because it is stable. US policy is, like everywhere else, to cause chaos and destabilise. Think Iraq, Ukraine, Venezuela, Syria, Libya...these protests did not happen by accident....trained, armed and funded mercenaries imported from foreign countries did not just appear in Syria spontaneously, there was a plan behind it...

This is the same in China where US funded NGOs cause mischief by encouraging insurrection. China needs to use maximum force to maintain stability, even if it means another Tianamen.

Yes, and only Russia is the cause of US political disintegration. And it was only outside interference that caused the US Civil Rights protests and the Vietnam War protests. That is what I understand from your post. As such, it is overreaching. Is there continuous evidence of the international mischief fomenting unrest and the outright overthrow of governments? Absolutely, but you seem to be ignoring valid citizen uprisings even if those uprisings play into the hands of others, "national interests".