Funding university education for Thai student

notrub

13 08 2019

How does a young Thai person obtain sufficient funds to attend university?  Are there government grants or loans available?  The young woman is 18 and her parents are poor rice farmers who are able to provide for the family and participate in the annual plant rice and pray for rain cycle (they have 25 rai of land outside the village here in Isaan).    

This young lady is the niece of my GF and I would be willing to supplement her costs to a certain extent.   She appears to be serious about her education now and is a person of good character.

I hope this question will start a thread on this subject.  Ultimately providing some answers to the funding issue which would enable her to attend university.

Thanks in advance for any response and/or ideas.

If they live in an obviously poor house there are government loans available.

But they are 'authorised' by the school teachers that do the home visits in the last three years of high school.

Without them giving the OK, she has to go it alone.

Rajabhat Universities are the cheapest, courses will cost around 10k/term (2 terms a year), for four years.

Plus uniforms, shirts, activities (more than you can imagine), food, accommodation (another 4-6K/month).

Around 70kBht/year.

I've had one drop out after 2 years (Political Science), and another in her 3rd year now (International Business Studies).

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If they live in an obviously poor house there are government loans available.

But they are 'authorised' by the school teachers that do the home visits in the last three years of high school.

Without them giving the OK, she has to go it alone.

Rajabhat Universities are the cheapest, courses will cost around 10k/term (2 terms a year), for four years.

Plus uniforms, shirts, activities (more than you can imagine), food, accommodation (another 4-6K/month).

Around 70kBht/year.

I've had one drop out after 2 years (Political Science), and another in her 3rd year now (International Business Studies).

But she'll have to follow specific rules and regulations. She must have finished M6, which is grade 12 at a high school with a grade of not less than 2.5. 

Once they start at a Rajabhat, the local universities, they usually live with another student and share the rent, water, and electricity.

I'd think that 80 to 100 K will do the trick. But it all gets way more expensive when she wants to study for a medical occupation. 

That's usually in another province and takes at least a year longer with higher tuition costs.

It's nice to help such a girl who wants to study but can't afford it. 

5 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I'd think that 80 to 100 K will do the trick. But it all gets way more expensive when she wants to study a medical occupation. 

Needs grade 3.8+ for medical, unless parents are rich.

But can get the medical degree totally free, if they agree to work in a government appointed hospital post for 3 years at the end (no choice where it is, and it's always somewhere awful).

When I was getting 50,000bht for my 1,000 pounds/month pension, I could afford to do it.

At 37,000bht/month this will be the last student educated on my dime, just got to suck it up for 1 more year.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Needs grade 3.8+ for medical, unless parents are rich.

But can get the medical degree totally free, if they agree to work in a government appointed hospital post for 3 years at the end (no choice where it is, and it's always somewhere awful).

When I was getting 50,000bht for my 1,000 pounds/month pension, I could afford to do it.

At 37,000bht/month this will be the last student educated on my dime, just got to suck it up for 1 more year.

Nothing is impossible if you're rich — no need for 3.8 with the right connections. 

Wasn't the selection always so strange that they didn't know where they had to work as freshies?

It's like taking a piece of paper out of a hat with several hospitals and provinces written on it. 

Of course does Mr. or Mrs. Rich start where they want to. You only have to grease the wheels correctly. 

But isn't that the same in other countries? 

Little shit_y hospitals in rural Isaan are, of course, not on the priority list. 

Thanks a lot for the comments.  Good place to start and will get on to the house inspection part right away.  They live in an OK house but definitely in the poverty category.   I can do 100k a year but only just.  I just had 4M euros stolen from me and that sort of cleaned me out.  

Anybody know the 'taken to the cleaners' joke?  I can almost remember it and I think it was told in a Russian accent but could be wrong.  Might be an old Python sketch....  Driving me crazy trying to remember it.

Thanks again, keep those ideas rolling.

Just keep her clear of shonky private schools, especially business schools. Rajabhats a great idea. If she can get tutoring and qualify for medical it's a hands on field that won't die quickly with automation. Reasonably well paid.

22 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Just keep her clear of shonky private schools, especially business schools. Rajabhats a great idea. If she can get tutoring and qualify for medical it's a hands on field that won't die quickly with automation. Reasonably well paid.

Medicine is tough. One of my students was workign as an intern recently - she only gets a few hours sleep a night, as she is either studying, seeing patients, keeping their records, etc. Only the the best and most dedicated survive. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Medicine is tough. One of my students was workign as an intern recently - she only gets a few hours sleep a night, as she is either studying, seeing patients, keeping their records, etc. Only the the best and most dedicated survive. 

No doubt and I'd suspect the pay is quite average especially considering the stress, hours and health factors. Dental assistant? Vet assistant? Lab tech? Anything above that sort of stuff you'll need to prolly go to a university with medical school to get hired on in a decent facility.

I think jobs have been tough for Thais only getting more difficult just like everywhere in the world.

Archived