Are Thais issued with birth certificates?

Kalasin Jo

We may need a birth certificate for my wife. She says she's never had one. She has obtained a rather poor copy of the actual detailed page entry in the births register, stamped in blue ink with something in Thai, from her amphur. I was expecting something more impressive with an official seal and signature. Is that all there is? Birth cerificates are reuired by some European countries when applying for a residency permit. Is she perhaps not asking for the right document? Thanks to anyone who knows the answer.

35 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Thanks to anyone who knows the answer.

Ask your wife to get one, my Mrs didn't have one either, many Thai families didn't bother years ago and even nowadays it's the same as marriage certs.

When my wife needed one to come to the UK many moons ago the local amphur made her one up from the date on her Thai ID card.

22 minutes ago, ardsong said:

Yes, Thailand issues birth certificates.

I have seen two (laminated) for children aged 5 and 7 at the time.

But I have not seen b.c. for older people around.

I copied one, pixelated here:

(2850 gram, mother 17 year old, father 27 year old)

An interesting facet: the date of birth is also shown with the details of the moon calender/phase.

Not 13 years old now and riding with the scooter in the village :sad:

geburtsurkunde_fiu.jpg

If the photocopy she has is not good enough for some reason (though it should be if you can have it legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) your wife can apply for TR21 (ท.ร.๒๐/๑), at the ampoer where she was born or where her address is registered. She needs to bring along some witnesses, her parents if possible.

When we applied for my wife’s K-1 visa (fiancé) here in the states, one of the requirements was her original birth certificate. She had to travel to her hometown in Isaan (Udon Thani), and apply to get her birth certificate. Turns out, the building that housed the records had burned down in the mid 1980s and they had no records of birth before that. So they made her bring her high school record and her Mom and sister and brother there to confirm that it was her and what her birth date was and that she attended school there and then they issued her a new birth certificate. She needed it the same day (Friday) and of course they said come back Monday so a 1,000 baht bill slid across the counter got it done in about an hour.

Thanks everyone. I don't think she asked for the right thing. I'll get her to go again. It is definitely not a birth certificate but a photocopy of the page in the register, so I guess they do have records gong back. Should make it easier.

I'm guessing for any kind of European residency permit application it will need to be legalised, like our marriage certificate had to be to get a visa on the basis of being a spouse. In this case France. Anyone?

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have seen two (laminated) for children aged 5 and 7 at the time.

But I have not seen b.c. for older people around.

I copied one, pixelated here:

(2850 gram, mother 17 year old, father 27 year old)

An interesting facet: the date of birth is also shown with the details of the moon calender/phase.

Not 13 years old now and riding with the scooter in the village :sad:

geburtsurkunde_fiu.jpg

Yes, this is the kind of birth certificate we normally see, which equals the one for my daughter, but I've also seen below one, issued in 2538 (24 years ago today) for an Isaan Thai girl born that year, and that's more simple – apart from the bad condition of the actual certificate – I have intentionally blurred parts containing names, address and ID-number(s)...

Birth-cert-blurred_w800.jpg.1bdfa556a80b93196fa94d646d88a9a9.jpg

Many years ago my gf didn't have any documents. 

I remember she made several visits to the amper with her father, teacher, village head, people who knew her since a long time.

At the end she got her ID card and later she got a passport.

I just asked her and she said she has no birth certificate and she wouldn't be able to get one. One reason is that she was not born in a hospital and nobody registered her birth.

As far as I know most Thai ID card numbers start with number 1. Her card starts with a 5 which, as far as I know, indicates that the documentation was not according the way it should have been.

Birth certificates in Thailand are only issued once, no copies will be given when losing this certificate.

When born in a hospital the hospital's town will be the new born's birth place.

You still have to register the birth at the Amphur.

I and my wife did this at the Amphur and we have birth certificates of my son and daughter.

My wife lost her birth certificate and we had to travel to her home town.

After she got a copy from her school that she attended this school and a letter from her old school teacher, who was still alive, she got a letter that she was born there.

A letter which she still have not a copy from a birth certificate.

My wife needed a birth certificate for Australian government (immigration) and we went to the local land office (Amphur).

They gave her a rather large book to look through which covered  the birth period. When we found it, the paper was given to us to go across the road and get a photocopy ( cost 10 baht for 3 copies), then we returned the original. 

Officer then stamped and signed the photocopies and we were off, ready for the free Australian translation service here.

All accepted.

Archived