Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

18 hours ago, kinyara said:

More imminent than it's ever been is my current assessment. 

I think what is left standing after February, which will be around 1 year of little to no tourism, will be still operating as tourism starts to rebuild. 

Whether it's a financially sound decision to stay operating until then, which could be at least another 1 year, is another matter.  

On 1/17/2021 at 9:09 AM, petermik said:

Never said it was reopening as a bar...I did say Dree had passed the lease over to a friend :thumbsup:

Actually you said "the bar's lease" which although it does not say it will continue trading as a bar is a fairly clear Inference of this. 

I think there was possibly an attempt to confuse the unwary into error. 

On the other hand............ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rott said:

Actually you said "the bar's lease" which although it does not say it will continue trading as a bar is a fairly clear Inference of this. 

I think there was possibly an attempt to confuse the unwary into error. 

On the other hand............ 

I commented some time ago that Pattaya will look a lot different post covid. 

When repeat tourists eventually get back to Thailand, the establishments they frequented so many times in the past may have closed for good, or moved to another location. 

Buildings that were for hospitality, may change to retail, like this example.

Many of the first tourists coming back will be wandering around lost.  

Edited by Leaver

45 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I commented some time ago that Pattaya will look a lot different post covid. 

When repeat tourists eventually get back to Thailand, the establishments they frequented so many times in the past may have closed for good, or moved to another location. 

Buildings that were for hospitality, may change to retail, like this example.

Many of the first tourists coming back will be wandering around lost.  

I think you could be underestimating the next wave of green tourists that will step off the plane smell the tropics and be desired for the first time in their lives . The right here and now is bad times but as soon as the restrictions are lifted it will be like a stampede . Over the years we have seen thousands of guys come and lose everything only to be replaced by the next dreamer . It will continue to happen I have no doubt . 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I disagree. 

The last few high seasons have seen a decline in western tourists here.  Many of the reasons for this has been debated. Eg. strong baht, Thailand no longer a cheap holiday, other options in the regions etc. 

I started this thread way before covid, because businesses catering for westerners were struggling even back then.

The newbie dreamers were in short supply then, and will be for years to come.  

I don't think there will be a stampede.  Initially, I think there will be a trickle back of loyal sex tourists as airlines slowly increase capacity. 

Many of those returning may be disappointed at what they see when they get here.  Others may wait to come back until Pattaya is around 70% of what it was before covid.

The rebuilding of the tourism sector here, including sex tourists, will not happen in 1 month, just because the Thai government opens the borders.  It will take years, with many not wanting to spend their hard earned to come back here until they feel it is worth it to do so, as in, a large amount of bars and restaurants operating again.   

As long as I can simply go online and book a flight,hotel,bell bus and hotel,with no complications and massive price hikes I will probably be back.I would expect to show that I have had the Vaccine and that I have medical insurance,more than that then I will stay here during the winter and suck it up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, adammike said:

As long as I can simply go online and book a flight,hotel,bell bus and hotel,with no complications and massive price hikes I will probably be back.I would expect to show that I have had the Vaccine and that I have medical insurance,more than that then I will stay here during the winter and suck it up.

Are you a 2 week tourist, a 4 month snow bird, or an expat that can not get back?

Disregarding the current lock down, if you are a 2 week tourist, if you could get here tomorrow, no hotel quarantine, would you bother coming, knowing what awaits you here?    

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2021 at 10:47 PM, chrisandsu said:

I think you could be underestimating the next wave of green tourists that will step off the plane smell the tropics and be desired for the first time in their lives . The right here and now is bad times but as soon as the restrictions are lifted it will be like a stampede . Over the years we have seen thousands of guys come and lose everything only to be replaced by the next dreamer . It will continue to happen I have no doubt . 

The airlines won't be running full operations for many years yet, even when restrictions are lifted and it won't ever be back to being as easy to travel as it once was.

It will be a gradual scale up to whatever demand there is, and I think it unlikely previous numbers will return for many, many years.

The most desperate sex-tourists will probably be in the first batch though.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:25 PM, Leaver said:

Imagine what it will look like after another year without tourists.  

Some sois will never recover, for some it will take years.

Landlords will be as greedy as ever and rents will be prohibitive for the foreseeable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The airlines won't be running full operations for many years yet, even when restrictions are lifted and it won't ever be back to being as easy to travel as it once was.

It will be a gradual scale up to whatever demand there is, and I think it unlikely previous numbers will return for many, many years.

The most desperate sex-tourists will probably be in the first batch though.

Yes they will be . Never underestimate desperation ! ???? Especially after a long period of time in lockdown.

I saw on FB last weekend a couple of decent restaurants and bars close down here in Phuket cant survive no longer the one place said his rent was 35,000 per month and the landlord would not give him any discount and this place is not on the beach front slowly I see everyday another place closed down, one more 7/11 closed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Sex is Thailand’s number 1 tourist attraction and the one thing that humans just can’t replace . 

true but humans also get bored of the old ways and every new decade starts with major changes. sometimes these changes are too hard to follow or adopt for the older generations

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2021 at 12:27 AM, Leaver said:

Many of those returning may be disappointed at what they see when they get here.  Others may wait to come back until Pattaya is around 70% of what it was before covid.

in a few years, humanity may be surrounded with virus mutations in every corner of the world and most of the populations financially so deprived that the last thing anyone in London or in Los Angeles would think about traveling half way around the world for sex.

And that is IF most airlines have not already bankrupted by then and the sex cities still exist several years without tourism.

20 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Yes they will be . Never underestimate desperation ! ???? Especially after a long period of time in lockdown.

I can't resist the temptation to open another can of worms here, but that "desperation" just might have found another solution. In short, my hypothesis is that some of these desperate men, being so desperate for so long may have "hooked up" with local females. 

Continuing emptying that can, we must remember that those "desperate" folks have aged and older folks along with smokers are most "at risk" for serious problems upon catching COVID. I suspect that for some of those desperados the COVID risk may just be too high for the foreseeable future.

20 minutes ago, Watchful said:

I can't resist the temptation to open another can of worms here, but that "desperation" just might have found another solution. In short, my hypothesis is that some of these desperate men, being so desperate for so long may have "hooked up" with local females. 

Continuing emptying that can, we must remember that those "desperate" folks have aged and older folks along with smokers are most "at risk" for serious problems upon catching COVID. I suspect that for some of those desperados the COVID risk may just be too high for the foreseeable future.

You could well be right with your hypothesis . The only kink would be where are they meeting the local ladies ? 

On 1/21/2021 at 5:51 AM, chrisandsu said:

Yes the high seasons have been low in Thailand the last few years but I think a year of lockdown and no ladies will be the bounce that Pattaya needs . Other parts of Thailand will struggle undoubtedly but the girly scene will be what drags Pattaya out of the doldrums, much the same as Pattaya has dragged essarn out of grinding poverty . Sex is Thailand’s number 1 tourist attraction and the one thing that humans just can’t replace . 

No argument from me that sex sells.

However, given even after vaccination one can still be infected and transmit the virus, and given Thailand's large population, and the logistics involved to vaccinate even 50% on the Thai population, then you have airline capacity and pricing, followed by a percentage of mongers that now lack financial capacity to travel, the girly bar scene could contract to a point it no longer can attract a decent amount of mongers until the tourism industry here has been rebuilt to at least 65% to 70% of what it was before covid.

It could be a case of mongers not coming back to Pattaya until the girls do, and the girls not coming back to Pattaya until the mongers do.   

Both waiting until Pattaya gets to a point where both want to return to Pattaya, one group for fun, the other group for employment.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, pattayadude said:

in a few years, humanity may be surrounded with virus mutations in every corner of the world and most of the populations financially so deprived that the last thing anyone in London or in Los Angeles would think about traveling half way around the world for sex.

And that is IF most airlines have not already bankrupted by then and the sex cities still exist several years without tourism.

There will be many different scenes as covid plays out.  We are nowhere near the end of this saga.  

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 7:18 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

They may never find tennants again, many places may remain derelict forever....maybe the jungle will take them over eventually?

When known fact that derelict properties fall into disrepair. 

Things like rust and corrosion to door hinges, especially in the salt air, to taps that are corroded shut, lights and switches the same.  

The longer a property remains vacant, the more state of disrepair it falls into, and not from over use, but from lack of use.