Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

if you buy a condo now, how can you be sure you will be still here in 15 or 20 years?

How can anyone be sure they will still want to be here 2 or 3 years from now?  

Pattaya will look very different after covid.   It will not be the Pattaya expats knew before covid, and very well may not be the Pattaya that western tourists will want to come back to until it rebuilds.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Personal choice, it's all a risk, I know people who talk like you who have said they wished they bought 15 years ago, time flies

It's not the 80's now.

Over supply, lower demand.  

Thailand not as attractive as it was.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

The older condos ( 15-20 ) years are of better quality IMO and normally have a bigger footprint than the newer shoe boxes that seem to be all the rage now.

You can fit 8 Chinese tourists in the newer shoe boxes now on AirBnb.  ????

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How can anyone be sure they will still want to be here 2 or 3 years from now?  

Pattaya will look very different after covid.   It will not be the Pattaya expats knew before covid, and very well may not be the Pattaya that western tourists will want to come back to until it rebuilds.    

Pattaya will come back liks a Phoenix from the ashes.

26 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Pattaya will come back liks a Phoenix from the ashes.

When?  

Any time frame prediction from you?

What businesses will be left to "rise?" 

Edited by Leaver

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

The ground is shifting beneath you, as we speak.  

Its no good being asset rich,pound note poor in this climate,too many people have bought by borrowing these will pay a bitter price,its happened before unfortunately people have selective short memories as in any depression the rich will become richer and the poor poorer,lets face it the bulk ofthe money generated in pattaya is in the black economy and although it benefits of the locals and migrant sex workers and their families back in issaan but dosen,t get into central governments hands so they,re hardly going to be concerned about the plight of the farang.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Is that perhaps the place where you can complain to the maintenance committee and get tossed off the roof?

Probably, the problem is some are dives and this 51%/49% rule doesn't help at all with empty condos either unsold or no one lives there, except the cockroaches 

6 hours ago, kingdong said:

Its no good being asset rich,pound note poor in this climate,too many people have bought by borrowing these will pay a bitter price,its happened before unfortunately people have selective short memories as in any depression the rich will become richer and the poor poorer,lets face it the bulk ofthe money generated in pattaya is in the black economy and although it benefits of the locals and migrant sex workers and their families back in issaan but dosen,t get into central governments hands so they,re hardly going to be concerned about the plight of the farang.

Very true . The government has never cared about essarn . 

On 1/24/2021 at 2:20 AM, kingdong said:

Pattaya will rise again but it wont be for the benefit of farangs,beware the sleeping dragon.

Thai's like the colour of everyone's money. 

However, I do tend to agree with you that the focus will shift to Chinese.  We saw this for the last few years, pre covid.

There will still be a place for farang here, but it will be treated with little significance.  

You can expect many properties here that traditionally catered for westerners, to be catering for the Chinese in the future.  

Edited by Leaver

On 1/24/2021 at 2:34 AM, kingdong said:

the bulk ofthe money generated in pattaya is in the black economy and although it benefits of the locals and migrant sex workers and their families back in issaan but dosen,t get into central governments hands so they,re hardly going to be concerned about the plight of the farang.

You do know that the "black economy" (sex trade) generates a huge amount of tourism for Thailand, and brings in billions of dollars.  That's flights, hotels, food & beverage etc. 

The central government earns VAT and various other taxes from the tourists that this "black economy" attracts, not to mention the employment it creates for legitimate staff.  

Many wealthy Thai elite, corrupt police and politicians, and criminals, profit immensely from this "black economy." 

Just imagine for one moment prostitution was seriously enforced here.  Many places in Thailand would be like they are today, not from covid, but from enforcement of prostitution.

I agree, they don't care about the people in Issan.  They are kept poor so they supply women to the sex trade across Thailand, so the rich get richer.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Thai's like the colour of everyone's money. 

However, I do tend to agree with you that the focus will shift to Chinese.  We saw this for the last few years, pre covid.

There will still be a place for farang here, but it will be treated with little significance.  

You can expect many properties here that traditionally catered for westerners, to be catering for the Chinese in the future.  

What about the Indians?

They sure were expecting a mass flood of Indians with the opening of all the Indian clubs in walking street.....Nobody goes to those clubs but the Indians and Russian women looking for Indians...

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You do know that the "black economy" (sex trade) generates a huge amount of tourism for Thailand, and brings in billions of dollars.  That's flights, hotels, food & beverage etc. 

The central government earns VAT and various other taxes from the tourists that this "black economy" attracts, not to mention the employment it creates for legitimate staff.  

Many wealthy Thai elite, corrupt police and politicians, and criminals, profit immensely from this "black economy." 

Just imagine for one moment prostitution was seriously enforced here.  Many places in Thailand would be like they are today, not from covid, but from enforcement of prostitution.

I agree, they don't care about the people in Issan.  They are kept poor so they supply women to the sex trade across Thailand, so the rich get richer.   

Do you honestly think the ruling classes,( not the underpaid foot soldiers)are happy with pattaya and its former image? The old,overweight farangs walking around with prostitutes half their age?have you ever spoken to normal decent thai women? I have and the moment you mention pattaya the conversation ends.the central government earns tax and vat from tourists,breking down my expenditure theres my airfare,bus fare to pattaya,baht bus to hotel,hotel about £100-£170 @ week apart from that and my food £7-£10 a day the rest  is spent on debauchery ( and the pursuit of) lady drinks (not many ) drinks,bar fines and the fee for services rendered,so i wouldn,t imagine they,re copping much out of me,unless the bar girls are registered for vat and tax reasons.the ruling classes are looking to the big brown envelope via the chinese in the future and if it all goes tits up like it did in shinoukville,que sera.they,re not going to give a tinkers cuss.

• Like 1