Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

7 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I gave his bar in Soi7 a visit, just after it opened, and a small bottle of Leo straight out of the box was 95 baht.

Even though, I made a show of asking for a glass and ice, he showed zero interest, and just sat staring into his phone at the bar.

I did not need to know anymore.

typical bar owner attitude in imminent bar failure  ????

even those type of owners don't believe in their business, or their customers

To be totally fair to him though he has to be positive . It’s his business to keep people interested and hoping . My one question though ? Do people actually buy lady drinks when they do the live streams ? I watched it once for about 15 minutes where it jumped from bar to bar and didn’t see one lady that was even half decent ! They all looked old and haggard or overweight . Have people not realised yet that the majority of these women are Thai Vicky pollard types ?  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

As i said in my previous post Nick is a nice guy but since the covid hit on his business

he is becoming delusional, seeing positives signs where there were none as everyone

can see it in the video. I have posted a realist comment on this video when he posted it

and i wasn't surprised to be censored and my post not publied.

It was clear his objective was to attract more guys in Thailand in general and

in his bar in particular, but i am sure the ones lured and deceived by his view

and going at high price trought the quarantine have probably been very disapointed by what they have discovered after their 15 days in a jail, ending in the reality of a city where almost everywhere is closed and all the fun gone.

This seems to be par for the course with rather a few Pattaya business owners. I commented to one bar owner I have known for a few years that I hoped to be back next year and he had a go at me telling me within 3 months Pattaya would be alive, hotels would be full and if he couldn't count on my support at that time then I wouldn't be welcome. What planet is he on?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mstevens said:

This seems to be par for the course with rather a few Pattaya business owners. I commented to one bar owner I have known for a few years that I hoped to be back next year and he had a go at me telling me within 3 months Pattaya would be alive, hotels would be full and if he couldn't count on my support at that time then I wouldn't be welcome. What planet is he on?

i presume desperate times, desperates measures

this crisis is a revealer of the ''real'' side of some of them

they are really ready for anything, including the worst, to try to keep their business afloat

sad, really sad

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

To be totally fair to him though he has to be positive . It’s his business to keep people interested and hoping . My one question though ? Do people actually buy lady drinks when they do the live streams ? I watched it once for about 15 minutes where it jumped from bar to bar and didn’t see one lady that was even half decent ! They all looked old and haggard or overweight . Have people not realised yet that the majority of these women are Thai Vicky pollard types ?  

The only girls still stuck at the moment in the Pattaya's bars are actually the most desperate

unable to be back to their village\family or using a new way to earn money (Taking a new job 

or activate a net of sponsors)

then no surpise if they are not the most physically attractives nor the sharpest tools in the box

however some guys from cold and sad countries (UK, north US, Germany and so on) seem to

be really desperate and happy to buy lady drinks or even ring the bell from abroad on line, at least

they have the illusion to exist for someone during few minutes

I even have heard that some bars in Soi 6 are making more money online than they were doing in real life

• Like 2

The one negative to it is that with so few farang about, before the closure each time you walked 2nd Road or Soi Buakhao you got the full and undivided attention of every lady outside every massage parlour. Headache inducing. 

But they can now start earning again. 

2 hours ago, rott said:

The one negative to it is that with so few farang about, before the closure each time you walked 2nd Road or Soi Buakhao you got the full and undivided attention of every lady outside every massage parlour. Headache inducing. 

But they can now start earning again. 

Being open does not help much when customers are so few...

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:13 PM, kinyara said:

Be interesting to see if the newly renovated venues such as the ones shown in the Soi 7 video, and the complex in front of the beer garden, try to pass the cost of those renovations on to the customer as tends to have happened in the past. I remember Abbe's bar in Walking Street undergoing an ill advised modernising renovation which resulted in an inferior sterile venue and increased prices, it lost its volume of custom from the outset and closed for something else in a relatively short period of time. 

I think we can all see through the line being trotted out by the bar owning bloggers and news group, they will be desperately trying to persuade their core custom of bell ringing, bar fining studs sitting overseas that Pattaya is back and buzzing at the earliest opportunity. Who else pays their prices ????

I spent a lot of time in Abbe's bar back in the mid 2000's great music, friendly place had a lot mates there, then from there to Beaver's, Secrets, Baby doll etc etc great times, doubt we'll ever have the same ever again ????????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 4:45 PM, VBF said:

ND's comment about a "big explosion when things get back to normal" seems likely to me and I agree with his closing opinion.

This boy's glass is half-full 

I don't normally watch his channel, but I watched this video.  

He does seem optimistic, but then again, he has a conflict of interests, having a bar on that soi.  

I don't see how some new tiles and some roof lining makes open air beer bars, that were dying pre covid, any more attractive to customers post covid.

Also, he wrote that it will be at least 7 to 9 months before boarders open, and whilst that time frame can be debated, how many leases will fall due by the end of this year, with still no tourists?  This is not just a Soi 7 issue, it's Pattaya / Thailand wide.  

The Soi 7 he videoed the other day may not be the Soi 7 you will see late 2021 / early 2022.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But from the perspective of those who are here it can seem quite positive. Easy to get around, drive in and out, cheap hotels and a girl to punter ratio making all a 'hansum man'! I had some good nights out prior to the latest lockdown, and hope to do so again soon. 

I wish! ???? Have 1 or 6 for me!   

Have a few drinks too????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But from the perspective of those who are here it can seem quite positive. Easy to get around, drive in and out, cheap hotels and a girl to punter ratio making all a 'hansum man'! I had some good nights out prior to the latest lockdown, and hope to do so again soon. 

Totally agree, for the people that a here the conditions are great.

Same with regards visiting tourist spots, if you can go during the week you virtually have the place to yourself - perfect!

Great photo's also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

The basic question is this, how many Chinese tour groups will find a dead Pattaya interesting? It's all built on the back of the much maligned Farangs. 

I'm not even sure they'll notice.  They seem to just go to Koh Lan, a walk along walking St, then out of town restaurants and things then go home

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not even sure they'll notice.  They seem to just go to Koh Lan, a walk along walking St, then out of town restaurants and things then go home

My thought too.... other than they might miss the gawping at the bright lights and stumbling falangs on their walks down Walking Street. The trip to Koh Larn, and a Chinese owned shopping Mall are unaffected, 

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A bit more than that.

I live close to a hotel that catered for the Chinese Tour Buses, most days they are on the road by 6am. and don't return until 10pm.

16 hours of being herded from one site to the next, does not appeal as a holiday to me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

A bit more than that.

I live close to a hotel that catered for the Chinese Tour Buses, most days they are on the road by 6am. and don't return until 10pm.

16 hours of being herded from one site to the next, does not appeal as a holiday to me.

I met a girl who worked in Rubberland on Sukhumvit, she said it used to be full of Chinese buying mattresses etc to take home on the plane, check in would have been interesting 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My thought too.... other than they might miss the gawping at the bright lights and stumbling falangs on their walks down Walking Street. The trip to Koh Larn, and a Chinese owned shopping Mall are unaffected, 

Have you ever noticed you see almost zero Chinese on the Koh larn ferry.....

The tour guides stuff them like sardines in the private boats to save on that 30 baht ferry ride....No doubt they are getting a group chair discount too...So really a day trip to Koh larn is costing the tour company almost nothing....  

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

The tour guides stuff them like sardines in the private boats to save on that 30 baht ferry ride....No doubt they are getting a group chair discount too...So really a day trip to Koh larn is costing the tour company almost nothing....  

I have seen them grouping together on Pattaya Beach in the soi 4/5 area to be packed into the speedboats... also saw them returning. As the boats beached, people and trash poured over the side. 

19 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Chinese were charged 100 Baht pp for sitting on the beach. That included a bottle of water plus a rice dish. The operator where I sat skimped unashamedly on the fillings in the rice dish, the Chinese customers kept complaining to the Thais organising their tour and the operator lost a very lucrative contract.