Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Pooks Plaza on Soi Buakhao is being gutted at present, and the rumour is, its an Insomnia Night Club that is going in there.

Also hearing that The Rock Factory will re-open across the street, where Climax was.

Insomnia night club, now that's a good idea, I wonder if they'll close the walking St one

11 minutes ago, rott said:

Are we allowed to mention new bars on here.? 

The small on/off bar at the Max hotel in Soi Post Office (13/2 to some) is now open as The Veterans Bar with an ex-forces theme and illustrations of the Somme. Lowish prices. 

A particularly brave idea to open a bar at the moment and at this location

i wish them the best of luck and a lot of success 

more details here, also kuddos to them for the generous idea

to help some charitable organisations

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/02/01/veterans-bar-pattaya-opens-focused-on-veterans-and-currently-serving-military-members-of-all-countries/

Edited by kingofthemountain

8 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

A particularly brave idea to open a bar at the moment and at this location

i wish them the best of luck and a lot of success 

more details here, also kuddos to them for the generous idea

to help some charitable organisations

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/02/01/veterans-bar-pattaya-opens-focused-on-veterans-and-currently-serving-military-members-of-all-countries/

I'm not sure of any good location currently but Soi Post Office is a really tough location to drum up business

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not sure of any good location currently but Soi Post Office is a really tough location to drum up business

Yes the area has been really hit hard in the last years

it was one of the most lively scene 10\15 years ago

and one of my favorite playground

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rott said:

A minor correction to the above, I find Soi Post much busier than Yamato at least in the daytime. And nothing like as desolate as Sois 7 & 8.

Just thought I'd mention it. ????

The problem with Soi Post office is the prices, girls quote much higher prices than Buakhao, Pothole etc, so guess what guys stop going there and girls sit there with few customers all day

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes the area has been really hit hard in the last years

it was one of the most lively scene 10\15 years ago

and one of my favorite playground

Restaurants and brand names closing on the corners, it looks like another area that will be squeezed out next ... like soi 6, 7 and 8. 

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2021 at 1:55 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Pooks Plaza on Soi Buakhao is being gutted at present, and the rumour is, its an Insomnia Night Club that is going in there.

Also hearing that The Rock Factory will re-open across the street, where Climax was.

If that's the case, post covid, businesses in the area can expect sharp rent increases as the LK Metro / Soi Buakhao area takes over from Walking Street.   

On 04/02/2021 at 4:53 AM, jacko45k said:

Restaurants and brand names closing on the corners, it looks like another area that will be squeezed out next ... like soi 6, 7 and 8. 

The Pizza Hut that closed had been on it's knees for years so no surprise there. 

Starbucks was a surprise to me, it had always had customers. But with three floors the overhead must have been high and it closed very quickly when Covid arrived. 

The McDonald's did reopen for seven hours a day I don't know if they still bother. 

That leaves Hops, not been in there for years, another overhead mystery. But still open. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rott said:

That leaves Hops, not been in there for years, another overhead mystery. But still open. 

So I took a ride down to see how it looked... more businesses than I expected were open, but mainly low overhead shop house bars... very few customers but in essence the same as the rest of town except one corner of LK Metro.....(where beers are sold at retail). I still think the slow squeeze is on for that area too.  

Walked down Soi 6 last night at about 7ish, I estimated well over 30 customers in the Soi as a whole. An improvement on the last time I was there but still a bit sad. 

I'll be around LK and Buakhao tonight. I was surprised how few were in the Billabong on Wednesday but possibly it was a reaction to how loud the music was. And as was said the Kilkenny was empty. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So I took a ride down to see how it looked... more businesses than I expected were open, but mainly low overhead shop house bars... very few customers but in essence the same as the rest of town except one corner of LK Metro.....(where beers are sold at retail). I still think the slow squeeze is on for that area too.  

Most of the bars on Soi 6 are operated by Nightwish group and 

they have all moved on an on line stream with John and Bill, the pathetics

losers stranded on the other side of the world in a cold and sad lockdown

ringing a virtual bell and paying virtuals lady drinks, sending money to the farang bar manager via Paypal.

So the ''real'' customers are now the icing on the cake for them, nothing more

Here you can see how ''Timmy'' one of these farang bar manager, see the expat clientele

(The complete article is here 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/02/03/960848011/how-the-pandemic-has-upended-the-lives-of-thailands-sex-workers )

''

Rob, a 59-year-old Australian retiree and regular patron of the bars of Soi 6, who asked not to use his last name because of the sex industry's illegality, says only about a quarter of the bars are open and a quarter of the women have come back to work in them. Retirees on fixed pensions like himself can't make up for the droves of lost international clientele.

Edited by Rimmer
Edited to Fair use
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Icing, maybe another word gets used. I haven't had a night out yet since lockdown 2 ended. I had plenty after LD 1 and some were quite good...mind you, after 4-5 beers I tend to spend a little more freely and that helps. I see the online stuff....I get pop-ups on my phone when the scrounging starts on Soi Bongkhot 8. I did worry this would detract from the real scene, but it didn't appear to back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Most of the bars on Soi 6 are operated by Nightwish group and 

they have all moved on an on line stream with John and Bill, the pathetics

losers stranded on the other side of the world in a cold and sad lockdown

ringing a virtual bell and paying virtuals lady drinks, sending money to the farang bar manager via Paypal.

Here you can see how ''Timmy'' one of these farang bar manager, see the expat clientele

(The complete article is here 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/02/03/960848011/how-the-pandemic-has-upended-the-lives-of-thailands-sex-workers )

''

Rob, a 59-year-old Australian retiree and regular patron of the bars of Soi 6, who asked not to use his last name because of the sex industry's illegality, says only about a quarter of the bars are open and a quarter of the women have come back to work in them. Retirees on fixed pensions like himself can't make up for the droves of lost international clientele.

If the desperate are paying on line for those bottom of the barrel women you can bet your boots they will be on the first plane over when the place opens up again . I think there will be an initial bounce in Patts and then it will tail off once everyone’s potless again . 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 6:55 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Some now saying that its not Insomnia but the Baku Group, and it will be a Night Club.

10 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Some now saying that its not Insomnia but the Baku Group, and it will be a Night Club.

That's less significant than Insomnia moving or opening another nightlife. I'm surprised the successful walking St agogos, Bars don't just all move together to a street, just pick one 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's less significant than Insomnia moving or opening another nightlife. I'm surprised the successful walking St agogos, Bars don't just all move together to a street, just pick one 

Any of the sois off Soi Baukhao, between Soi Diana and Tree Town, towards 3rd Road, would suit that purpose.  

At least they would have a chance of being viable.  

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Any of the sois off Soi Baukhao, between Soi Diana and Tree Town, towards 3rd Road, would suit that purpose.  

At least they would have a chance of being viable.  

Apparently way back, Soi Post Office 13/2 was more popular than Walking St, I wonder why a move happened 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Apparently way back, Soi Post Office 13/2 was more popular than Walking St, I wonder why a move happened 

No chance.

Way back, you might start the night elsewhere, but you always ended up in South Pattaya/Walking Street.

The only time I can think when Soi PO was popular was when the daytime GoGo's were doing good trade.

EtfL7nMXMAMpzCV?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, treetops said:

That gives you Soi Choyapoom (sp) then?

Several others, like Soi Lengkee. 

Probably could extend the boundary I posted further up Soi Baukhao. 

It happened with Soi LK Metro / Soi Baukhao.  No doubt the merry-go-round of increasing rents will force businesses to move, in order to remain viable, and the expats and repeat tourists with local knowledge will follow them to the next affordable enclave.

So, just as Walking Street was dying a slow death (pre covid) so too will Soi LK Metro etc in the future, especially if the nightclubs are moving into Pook and Climax, as some have posted, which will cause rents to increase in the area.