Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

On 2/9/2021 at 7:05 AM, polpott said:

Bryan Flowers (CEO Nightwish Group) has long dabbled in BTC and even once dabbled in the idea of using it as payment in his bars. pretty sure he holds a bag. His background is in IT/web design which is what first brought him to Pattaya. Never had a serious interest in bars, just fell into it and the business grew organically. Now expanded into online media which is proving successful. Very savvy guy who will survive.

Brian Flowers may survive here, but will the 25 Nightwish Group bars on Soi 6 survive?  Time will tell.  

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 8:19 AM, scubascuba3 said:

to be fair he is one of a few that actually know what they are doing. He likes setting up new restaurants, can't sell his current one, so plan B get a partner. He's very hands on so I wonder how that will work

Who would buy into a partnership on a restaurant where your partner owns the the restaurant that will be in direct competition to the one you are co-owning?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2021 at 7:24 PM, AlexJohanson said:

I have zero doubt that that the visionary, proud and avantgarde leadership of the Thai Government along with RTGS Khun Anutin Charnvirakul Prime Minister and the Minister of Public Health will set a prime example for the world to follow when it comes to the vaccine roll out. Vietnam will not be able to compete with their (Thailand) world class strategy. Countries like the US, London & Europe will , going forward, be able to look to Thailand for guidance in order to kill this foreign UK, Norway, South Africa mutated virus.

Imagine if places like Spain, Italy, France etc looked to Thailand for guidance on how to implement the sex trade, and attract sex tourists, no one would bother to come to Pattaya.  ???? 

14 hours ago, VBF said:

This time last year Roblin said he was leaving Thailand permanently to return to UK for health reasons, so either that was a bluff of some sort, or he's realised that he can keep HH1 and with prices depressed, plus some new investment, open HH2 ready for when things do pick up....whenever that may be.

Or perhaps he cannot sell HH1 for he price the wants and has completely changed his strategy.

He was also the first person I met to get the  dates of the bars closing exactly right before it occurred!

As you say, he knows what he's about, since the first days of Robin's Nestaurant he's largely got it right due to organised business plans.

I haven't had any contact with him since last March (we're not friends, just casual acquaintances) but IMO he's probably got it right again - for his sake I hope so as he's a good bloke and  runs good restaurants / hotels.

He seems to suffer from ill health every time he advertises one of his restaurants for sale, then has a remarkable recover and starts building another restaurant.  ????

His business model was making money on flipping restaurant, no selling food. 

HH has been for sale for many months, which included a price reduction, from memory.  

He's been stuck with HH due to poor western tourist numbers pre covid, and then obviously when covid came along there was little chance of a sale, unless at a fire sale price, and maybe not even at a fire sale price.  

Unless his strategy is to build a restaurant that is not in direct competition with HH, I can't see the benefit to HH by cutting it's meagre profits in half, whilst doubling the costs for a HH2.

That said, maybe a HH2 in Jomtien would work.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

yes with 130 000 bhts\ monthly rent to paid

it's a lot of money for an actually closed venue

and with 0 visibility on the next months\years

How long before leases such as these start to default and leasees are evicted?

Tenants will only throw good money after bad for so long.  

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 7:05 AM, polpott said:

Bryan Flowers (CEO Nightwish Group) has long dabbled in BTC and even once dabbled in the idea of using it as payment in his bars. pretty sure he holds a bag. His background is in IT/web design which is what first brought him to Pattaya. Never had a serious interest in bars, just fell into it and the business grew organically. Now expanded into online media which is proving successful. Very savvy guy who will survive.

I'm pretty sure his background was an electrician or plumber I forget which, think he said it on a video or forum post 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Imagine if places like Spain, Italy, France etc looked to Thailand for guidance on how to implement the sex trade, and attract sex tourists, no one would bother to come to Pattaya.  ???? 

They already have sex establishments. I stumbled on one in Spain once, Torrevieja, looked like a strip club, went in, must have been 50 girls from all over the world, a brothel. 

Personally I have zero interest in living in Spain, Canaries and all those boring places

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

Getting back on topic.

It's not about if the individual will continue to remain in Thailand. (survive)  It's about whether the company, The Nightwish Group, will have imminent closures, or future closers, of their 25 bars on Soi 6, or perhaps the collapse of the company, meaning all 25 bars close.  

For certain, there will be some nervous stake holders of The Nightwish Group, some, if not many, who will not be willing to throw good money after bad for the next 18 months, at least, before the bars even starts to break even.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jwdub said:

On Bryan Flowers latest YT video, he states that Robins Nest is for sale asking price 6 million baht.

Well so was The Hungry Hippo, that is what he does. Also advertising for partners to invest into Hungry Hippo 2. It is what he does. 

On 2/13/2021 at 6:18 AM, jacko45k said:

Well so was The Hungry Hippo, that is what he does. Also advertising for partners to invest into Hungry Hippo 2. It is what he does. 

It is what he does, but he hasn't been able to offload HH, and I'm not sure he will be able to for sometime to come.   

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

It is what he does, but he hasn't been able to offload HH, and I'm not sure he will be able to for sometime to come.   

No, and if one manages to sit near him and listen to his conversation he seems negative about things. Yet there he is 'expanding'......or hoping to. 

On 2/16/2021 at 4:11 AM, jacko45k said:

No, and if one manages to sit near him and listen to his conversation he seems negative about things. Yet there he is 'expanding'......or hoping to. 

He's not the only one locked into an investment here.  

It's not only no profits while covid is around, it's no profits for the duration of their lease.  For many, losses due to covid will not be able to be recouped before the expiry of the lease, and with so many properties up for sale / rent, who would bother to buy an existing business?  

54 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

The only one unit Bar Restaurant I can think of in LK Metro, is The Golf Club?

Agree - since one of the original owners died a few years ago, it has gone downhill (IMO) both in service and cleanliness, again, IMO.

That was a year ago when I was last in Pattaya, but I stopped going there for what had been an excellent breakfast venue - the above 2 of the reasons.