BANGKOK
Leaver

Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Of course on holiday with Russian girlfriends they aren't going to hang around soi buakhao beer bars, they'll do touristy 2 week holiday things

And sneak off into MPs in Jomtiem.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:14 AM, kinyara said:

The only question about the beer bar complexes is will they die before their dwindling and ageing traditional western customer base. Nostagalia and blind optimism seems to be the last remaining preserve of those who cannot accept or recognise what the changing demographic means for land development on prime sites, which the remaining few central beer bars complexes occupy. It's not like it hasn't already been happening for the last decade. Wake up and smell the overpriced coffee now being sold in your former favourite tin shack beer bar. 

Overpriced compared to where? 

And what price is it that you refer to.?

My morning (or anytime) coffee at the Five Star Bar on Beach Road is 30 baht a cup. Served to your table by pleasant staff. Not a tin shack either, with a view of sun, sea, sand and palm trees. 

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

If it's nonsense, then why are they either going broke, for sale, or vacant?  (pre virus)  

Because there were always too many for the number of customers. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

You don't go to the malls, and whenever you do see no one. And if you did, they weren't buying, just looking.

I'm in Central quite often, and occasionally in T21.  I don't see tourists walking around with shopping bags from brand name stores, and I don't see them in the brand name shops making purchases. 

I do see them window shopping, eating fast food, and in the case of T21, taking photos.  This was also the case, pre virus.  

Your description of thriving shopping malls here is false.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Pre-virus? .... how far can you go back?

I think the past two high seasons, but particularly the last high season, which was the lowest I have ever seen, which even saw senior Thai's in the tourism industry commenting in the media about the decline here.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rott said:

Because there were always too many for the number of customers. 

Pattaya / Thailand had a record number of tourists, pre virus.  No shortage of customers, just a shortage of certain types of customers.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

I'm in Central quite often, and occasionally in T21.  I don't see tourists walking around with shopping bags from brand name stores, and I don't see them in the brand name shops making purchases. 

I do see them window shopping, eating fast food, and in the case of T21, taking photos.  This was also the case, pre virus.  

Your description of thriving shopping malls here is false.   

cause they go window shopping to check out all the latest fashions and designs in t21,then they go to mikes shopping mall and buy a snide one for a fraction of the price.

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 2

Please stay on topic:

Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

23 hours ago, rott said:

Overpriced compared to where? 

And what price is it that you refer to.?

My morning (or anytime) coffee at the Five Star Bar on Beach Road is 30 baht a cup. Served to your table by pleasant staff. Not a tin shack either, with a view of sun, sea, sand and palm trees. 

Mind you. 30 years ago it was (a tin shack bar).

Video has been removed

On 8/5/2020 at 8:57 PM, kinyara said:

Were there any customers? 

Made in Thailand Pattaya - most bars are open. Just passed there at around 22:00. To me it looked more like a staff party. Many people working there but almost no customers. At least some said sexy man to me again and not papa sit down and rest a little bit. At least some hope for me. But I never trusted them...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some inflammatory posts and replies removed