Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The sellers probably get fed up with tyre kickers who know squat about running bars etc and want to live the dream.....then panic and back out 

I accept that, but surely the ground is shifting beneath business owners here, and any offer, for anyone, should be considered. 

In this case, I'm a little surprised the owner thinks he can pick and chose, and is in a superior bargaining position. 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I accept that, but surely the ground is shifting beneath business owners here, and any offer, for anyone, should be considered. 

In this case, I'm a little surprised the owner thinks he can pick and chose, and is in a superior bargaining position. 

If it is the Golf Club LK it's easy to move customers (golfers) up the road if they wanted. The problem with golf bars is well known I.e. only busy on golf days, can be dead other days

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If it is the Golf Club LK it's easy to move customers (golfers) up the road if they wanted. The problem with golf bars is well known I.e. only busy on golf days, can be dead other days

True.  

He could advertise the sale would come with an existing client base, but perhaps he has found a bigger and better place just up the road, and for cheaper rent, and the customers follow him. 

The new owner is left with The Golf Club, and no golfers, so why pay for an existing business?

17 hours ago, kinyara said:

Meanwhile the world outside of the Soi Buakow square 1/4 mile getto goes on.

7 hours ago, redwood1 said:

In Pattaya, Soi Bukow is like a nature reserve to protect the endangered retired expat.....There should be a fee charged to the Thais for being able to gawk at this disappearing species in the Soi Bukow reserve/zoo..

Don`t be too envious chaps...find a friend who can show you around and live a little...who knows you may even get to like it...I and countless others certainly do :thumbsup:

BTW it`s Soi Buakhao english meaning White Lotus Road :jap:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kinyara said:

Meanwhile the world outside of the Soi Buakow square 1/4 mile getto goes on.

Soi LK Metro /  Soi Baukhao has overtaken Walking Street for "real" customers.  (pre covid)  They're the ones that actually buy a drink, not spectate.  

All the area is missing is a nightclub, and there's some banter on TV that one is coming.  

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Soi LK Metro /  Soi Baukhao has overtaken Walking Street for "real" customers.  (pre covid)  They're the ones that actually buy a drink, not spectate.  

All the area is missing is a nightclub, and there's some banter on TV that one is coming.  

Agree totally. Was in Pattaya for 3 days recently. The first night got drunk in the afternoon, woke up at 11'ish, nothing open, <deleted>, like this is my modus operandi. Second night exerted a bit of self control, took a stroll down Walking Street in the late evening, not totally dead but no vibe. Third night, went to Soi Baukhao,  definitely still happening there, spent the night playing pool. Slept alone.

18 hours ago, redwood1 said:

In Pattaya, Soi Bukow is like a nature reserve to protect the endangered retired expat.....There should be a fee charged to the Thais for being able to gawk at this disappearing species in the Soi Bukow reserve/zoo..

I don't think they are interested in them as a tourist attraction... at best simply a resource from which some money can be made. 

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

This is nothing new though.

There was plenty of Flag followers being guided through LK pre-covid days.

Geezuz, I remember when there was Korean/Taiwanese/Chinese Tour Groups paraded through the Soi 2 beer bar complex, because it was one of the best areas of the time.

14 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Really, can't say I noticed them but would not be surprised. I would say less likely for a couple of reasons... nowhere to park a coach (unless they do a deal with a  hotel) and no Chinese owned shopping Plaza nearby to get them into. So I can be now ogled at like a monkey in a cage sat at my favourite corner spot at the Billabong sticking my tongue out occasionally.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

This is nothing new though.

Geezuz, I remember when there was Korean/Taiwanese/Chinese Tour Groups paraded through the Soi 2 beer bar complex, because it was one of the best areas of the time.

News to me though. 

Anyone else have experience of "plenty" of them in LK.?

Not disparaging Mr TS, but I see jacko's point that the logistics of getting them in and out could get messy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rott said:

News to me though. 

Not disparaging Mr TS, but I see jacko's point that the logistics of getting them in and out could get messy. 

Seen a couple of Chinese guys, looking lost, wandering through LK Metro. Gangs of flag followers? Never.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, polpott said:

Seen a couple of Chinese guys, looking lost, wandering through LK Metro. Gangs of flag followers? Never.

You are right, I have never seen flags followers in this area

for obvious reasons, nowhere to park the buses and no sidewalk or 

any walking streets to lead the herd in a relative safety in this area

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, polpott said:

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

You are right, I have never seen flags followers in this area

for obvious reasons, nowhere to park the buses and no sidewalk or 

any walking streets to lead the herd in a relative safety in this area

My territory also and can confirm the above comments....never....the Chinese used to use the nearby Vogue Hotel but again never seen hoards of them wandering on Soi Buk....:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Really, can't say I noticed them but would not be surprised. I would say less likely for a couple of reasons... nowhere to park a coach (unless they do a deal with a  hotel) and no Chinese owned shopping Plaza nearby to get them into. So I can be now ogled at like a monkey in a cage sat at my favourite corner spot at the Billabong sticking my tongue out occasionally.

My GUESS is they were walked from their hotel in the 3rd Rd-Buakhao area down to Mikes Shopping Mall, passing through LK Metro.

I would say there was flag followers passing through LK for about 5 years pre-covid, but I am an early evening drinker, so probably more likely to see them.

8 hours ago, rott said:

News to me though. 

NEVER seen any of them in Soi Bukhao/LK Metro either.That is one of the things that makes this area good lately.

6 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

My GUESS is they were walked from their hotel in the 3rd Rd-Buakhao area down to Mikes Shopping Mall, passing through LK Metro.

I would say there was flag followers passing through LK for about 5 years pre-covid, but I am an early evening drinker, so probably more likely to see them.

5 years ago? mmm

It might be a group that was lost with a new guide or a drunk one?

it's a hell of a walk from 3thrd road to mike shopping for a huge group of flag followers

imagine the risks on soi Lengkee and soi Diana with an heavy double way trafic and no any sidewalk

And i don't even talk about the crossing of 3 rd. soi bukkaho and 2nd road on the way

it doesn't make any sense when a bus could take the group on 3 road in front of the hotel (LK president?) then depose the herd on beach road in front of Mike shopping (Anyway Mike shopping was never a top destination for the chinese groups, there is nothing for them to buy here, they have already cheap clothes brand's copy at home and there is no buffet where they could eat in the mall)

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

5 there is nothing for them to buy here, they have already cheap clothes brand's copy at home and there is no buffet where they could eat in the mall)

Rubberland on Sukhumvit was full of Chinese buying mattresses and the like and taking to the airport, strange I know 

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

It sounds like the only flag followers people were aware of was the ones being dropped off at Walking Street and picked up at the other end.

There was a lot more flag following than that going on.

Crossing Beach Road to get to the beach. Bali Hi pier for trips to Koh Larn. LK Metro not. Flag followers were taken by coach to as close as possible to their location, they didn't go on walking tours. Even Walking St. they were offloaded at the far end then picked up at the entrance.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Rubberland on Sukhumvit was full of Chinese buying mattresses and the like and taking to the airport, strange I know 

Nothing strange here

Rubberland was paying good money to the guide or the tour organizer to

bring these people here, and they probably had a good system in place to send 

the mattresses in China.

40 years ago i was with a tour group in Tunisia and the guide took us to ''visit''

a carpet factory and they had a reliable organization to send the carpet you bought

in your country of origin. Of course the negociated price for a carpet was ''all inclusive''

Anyone know if Cheap Charlie's is still open?

My favorite meal thrre was seated just kitty from a Thai Foreigner couple. The old goat gave the waitress hell about needing "mushy peas" with his pork chop.

When the peas arrived they were of course hard. He had them take it back, but not after a prolonged lecture the entire resraurant could hear about "mushy peas".

Sometimes you just need to eat what you are served.

• Haha 2