Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Bit vague, street name?

You're being very nosey, why do you want to know? Thinking of grassing them up?

I was taken there by a young Chinese lady that I carved off the back of a flag followers crocodile and sworn to secrecy'

BTW. Crocodile seems to be in short supply too. I do enjoy a crocodile sandwich.

Just now, polpott said:

You're being very nosey, why do you want to know? Thinking of grassing them up?

I was taken there by a young Chinese lady that I carved off the back of a flag followers crocodile and sworn to secrecy'

BTW. Crocodile seems to be in short supply too. I do enjoy a crocodile sandwich.

I think you're full of it that's why.

Like many others on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I think you're full of it that's why.

Like many others on here.

Well I'm certainly not full of bat soup currently.......or crocodile sandwiches. If you know where I can get one do tell.....and make it snappy. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

The cost of living in Thailand has been rising steadily in recent times, not to mention all things farang are taxed quite highly.  Also, there are the exchange rates to consider.

Bottom line is, Thailand is not the cheap holiday that it once was.  

As I have said before, when Thailand was a cheap and nasty holiday, tourists would accept the nasty, because it was cheap.  In 2021, the nasty still remains, Eg. infrastructure, but many prices are now on par with western prices.  This is most likely why there has been a decline in western tourists here in recent times.  

It's much cheaper then living in the USA though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

The only thing that’s really cheaper is the healthcare (everywhere in the world is cheaper then America ) and housing . After that your day to day living expenses are on par and you get much better quality goods in the states compared to Thailand . Speaking as a tourist now (expat before ) Thailand is not cheap . Yes I can get cheap flights to Thailand $8-900 in the off season but who wants to take a holiday to Thailand when it has miserable wet or super hot weather ? Let’s not kid ourselves  most are there for the women if you take that away what does Thailand have ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

I get all that . I’m talking from a tourists perspective . I’m not even close to the retirement age I still have to make money in the real world . As a tourist what does Thailand have that let’s say Costa Rica doesn’t have ? All roads lead to the woman thing which is why I think Pattaya will bounce back before the other tourist traps in Thailand . 

I guess the appeal is that it is oriental, and would suit people looking for that difference. 

On 3/16/2021 at 7:24 AM, DerbyDan said:

Across the board, yes, but for specific things, no.  

Many expats can't afford farang things here.  They are a luxury item.  Eg. wine.

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't confuse "can't afford" with "not willing to pay" because things are over priced

Good point.

Whether it be "can't afford" or "not willing to pay" the Thai's lose a sale/s. 

Great business acumen here.  Better to try to overcharge a few, than sell to many.  

• Sad 1

On 3/16/2021 at 3:42 AM, chrisandsu said:

The only thing that’s really cheaper is the healthcare (everywhere in the world is cheaper then America ) and housing . After that your day to day living expenses are on par and you get much better quality goods in the states compared to Thailand . Speaking as a tourist now (expat before ) Thailand is not cheap . Yes I can get cheap flights to Thailand $8-900 in the off season but who wants to take a holiday to Thailand when it has miserable wet or super hot weather ? Let’s not kid ourselves  most are there for the women if you take that away what does Thailand have ? 

I was paying 200 pounds a week to stay in a guesthouse in Worthing (no facilities, shared bathroom).

I'm paying  175 pounds a month to stay in a condo in Pattaya (en-suite, swimming pool, gym).

Can't really comment about a favourite bar as I'm not out of quarantine for another couple of days (in England the bars were all closed for most of the past year), but looking forward to trying many next week, and a walk on the beach should be nice.

It would have been nice to find a few suggestions for nice bars that are currently open, not sports bars, just somewhere to have a few beers at a reasonable price.

Edited by OswaldBastable

15 minutes ago, OswaldBastable said:

I was paying 200 pounds a week to stay in a guesthouse in Worthing (no facilities, shared bathroom).

I'm paying  175 pounds a month to stay in a condo in Pattaya (en-suite, swimming pool, gym).

Yes, but you had the NHS.  What do you have here?  

16 minutes ago, OswaldBastable said:

Can't really comment about a favourite bar as I'm not out of quarantine for another couple of days (in England the bars were all closed for most of the past year), but looking forward to trying many next week, and a walk on the beach should be nice.

You will find there are no where near as many to try as before.

17 minutes ago, OswaldBastable said:

It would have been nice to find a few suggestions for nice bars that are currently open, not sports bars, just somewhere to have a few beers at a reasonable price.

Survival of the deepest pockets and / or the most understanding Thai landlord here now.  

Some of the more established places have survived, but a high percentage of establishments have folded.  

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, OswaldBastable said:

So many are open in the Pattaya area that listing them is of little help. I suggest a walk around LK Metro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Put this with Pattaya / Thailand no longer being a cheap holiday for western tourists, and it's possible bars and restaurants that cater for western tourists / expats will close, resulting in a decrease in numbers of them, which is on topic.   

As its complete BS its not on topic. My pensions are index linked and its still a cheap holiday for Westerners. My mate comes over here for a month at a time. Subtract flight cost and he spends less money here than he would have if he'd stayed at home.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

As its complete BS its not on topic. My pensions are index linked and its still a cheap holiday for Westerners. My mate comes over here for a month at a time. Subtract flight cost and he spends less money here than he would have if he'd stayed at home.

That's you, and your mate, what about the millions of others?

It is on topic.  Bars and restaurants catering for westerners were not doing so well pre covid.  Western tourism was down, as well as interest rates.  

https://www.nationthailand.com/Economy/30347587

12 minutes ago, polpott said:

Your mate used to come over a month at a time.

23 hours ago, champers said:

People on pensions in their home countries have had little to spend their money on for a year; so much is shut. There is a huge pent-up demand waiting to be released as soon as travel restrictions are removed. The same applies to many people in employment whose earnings have remained the same or even increased. Many cannot get here quick enough and they will be spending to make up for lost time.

I would say Spain will get the Brit's, and other Europeans, before Thailand does.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/13957267/spain-summer-british-holiday-vaccine-majorca/

In any case, how long is it going to take Thailand to vaccinate 65% of the Thai population, which will allow borders to open, safely?  Many westerners would have already had two holidays elsewhere, before Thailand will even be able to open its borders.