Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If that was true wouldn't they all be open now? a bit of an urban myth that one

Imagine you have a ton of rupees in cash to ''wash''

you can not use a bank to bank or other usual transfer way

so if some people usualy travel back and forth from India to Thailand

with the cash in their luggages, it's now impossible with the travel restrictions and

the quarantine requirment, hence the ''laundry'' closures in Pattaya

The legits ones with a local customers base, like Ali baba, are still open

34 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Imagine you have a ton of rupees in cash to ''wash''

you can not use a bank to bank or other usual transfer way

so if some people usualy travel back and forth from India to Thailand

with the cash in their luggages, it's now impossible with the travel restrictions and

the quarantine requirment, hence the ''laundry'' closures in Pattaya

The legits ones with a local customers base, like Ali baba, are still open

You have a vivid imagination, or another theory, they were just rubbish and eventually ran out of money as expected like so many businesses

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

You have a vivid imagination, or another theory, they were just rubbish and eventually ran out of money as expected like so many businesses

OK. Examine the strange case of the Baku Group, now owners of the Avenue and other ventures around Pattaya. Indian owned but silent partners.

Why Baku? Capital of Azerbaijan and known as the money laundering capital of the world with the main players being Indian. Indian business, by nature, means that large percentages of their cash needs to be laundered.

16 minutes ago, polpott said:

OK. Examine the strange case of the Baku Group, now owners of the Avenue and other ventures around Pattaya. Indian owned but silent partners.

Why Baku? Capital of Azerbaijan and known as the money laundering capital of the world with the main players being Indian. Indian business, by nature, means that large percentages of their cash needs to be laundered.

I don't doubt it goes on, i know from a friend that a gogo does, or did before it closed, just not sure how widespread it really is

Edited by scubascuba3

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't doubt it goes on, i know from a friend that a gogo does, or did before it closed, just not sure how widespread it really is

Its widespread amongst Indian businesses (not all of them) elsewhere not so much.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Customers I expect.... but I am not optimistic.

One was a venue I never thought much of, and never went into (just rarely to see why I had made that determination). The other, I quite liked, but it had closed even before Covid, so a surprise to see it reopen. It appears my preferences are not always the ones that do well... (I actually think the opposite, I am the kiss of death! Perhaps responding to the lack of Kinks.

I'm wondering if some agreement with the Thai landlord has seen the landlord say to the tenants he believes it's now profitable to open again, thus removing any covid rent relief, or decreasing it, which basically forces them to open to try to at least cover the rent.

I've heard some bars pay a low covid rent whilst closed, but as soon as they open, the rent goes back up.

Maybe it's the landlord's call for some establishments.      

42 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Using Pattaya as an example there is way way way more bars than are needed. Maybe the equivalent Indian fellas are living the dream opening sh*tty restaurants vs farang opening sh*tty bars

There is nothing comparable

usualy an old westerner open a bar in Pattaya to keep her gf\wife busy

using his pension to keep the business afloat

in these indians restaurants the owner seems to be always a relatively young guy in his 30-40, so no pension involved

(I wonder what can be the amount of a pension in India) 

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Using Pattaya as an example there is way way way more bars than are needed. Maybe the equivalent Indian fellas are living the dream opening sh*tty restaurants vs farang opening sh*tty bars

Arranged the right way, maybe one Indian restaurant can equal 10 work permits and long stay, so these people can do "other things."  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Google Indian Restaurants Cambodia,Laos,Vietnam or pick any province in Thailand.........What will you find?.........Indian  Restaurants and lots of them......

Do the Cambodians or Vietnamese or Laos people eat Indian food? About as much as the Thais which means pretty much none......

And Indian tourist dont go to these countries much at all........So that only leaves a few expats to support all these restaurants........

I am telling you guys there is something very strange about the whole Indian restaurant thing...

We dont see Asian cities with crazy numbers of Korean or Japanese or Chinese or French or German or Russian or Italian restaurants , just the needed numbers to serve a population.....

But there are WAY WAY WAY more  Indian restaurants than are needed....

It’s probably an easy way to obtain a visa to live in Thailand . Then get to work on things that really make money like money lending ...

• Like 2

About Indian restaurants, while it is true that some Indian restaurant owners are engaged in other businesses (so what, are y'all against capitalism?), the main reason there used to be so many Indian restaurants in Pattaya is because there used to be so many Indian tourists in Pattaya and Indian tourists tend to need to eat a lot of Indian food especially if they're vegetarian. Notice that most of them have closed. I don't really buy the demonization of Indian restaurants that I've heard over the years, frankly it stinks of racism. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

About Indian restaurants, while it is true that some Indian restaurant owners are engaged in other businesses (so what, are y'all against capitalism?), the main reason there used to be so many Indian restaurants in Pattaya is because there used to be so many Indian tourists in Pattaya and Indian tourists tend to need to eat a lot of Indian food especially if they're vegetarian. Notice that most of them have closed. I don't really buy the demonization of Indian restaurants that I've heard over the years, frankly it stinks of racism. 

No racism from me, but I disagree with you. 

When there were plenty of Indian tourists here, I only ever saw only a few eating in the Indian restaurants here.  Most were never busy with Indian customers.  

Most likely the reason was the price of a meal here was a lot more expensive than the same meal in India.  This is something that was starting to creep into western establishments pre covid, dearer prices here then in the west for the same food & beverage.   Thailand no longer offering a cheap holiday, and this was reflected in low western tourist numbers, pre covid, which was destined to eventually cause bar and restaurant closures.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I disagree with you. The vast majority of Indian restaurants had very cheap thali offerings, special off menu deals for groups, sometimes upstairs big rooms for groups, and plenty busy enough with Indian tourists. Mainly in South Pattaya south of Pattaya Tai and in the Pattaya Klang area deep into the sois. I've really had it with these dark conspiracy theories about Indian restaurants. I've seen the same kind of garbage hurled at ethnic groups in the U.S. -- every place is an illegal front. Blah blah blah. 

That's simply not my observation, pre covid, and I don't mind a curry.  Admittedly, the Indian restaurants i go to are in Central Pattaya, before I go out for the night.  

If the restaurants you mention, in the locations you say, did alright, what were all the others in Central Pattaya doing sitting empty most of the time?

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That's simply not my observation, pre covid, and I don't mind a curry.  Admittedly, the Indian restaurants i go to are in Central Pattaya, before I go out for the night.  

If the restaurants you mention, in the locations you say, did alright, what were all the others in Central Pattaya doing sitting empty most of the time?

I was talking about the majority of Indian restaurants which are in the areas I mentioned. Where you mentioned would often be higher end.  So perhaps they were going for higher profit per head versus volume, or you went at non peak hours for Indians, or they were losing money. Many restaurants of all kinds are losing money even in normal times. I'm not talking specifically about you -- I've seen these attacks on Indian restaurants owners for many years and they stink of knee jerk prejudice against "others" and they never present any hard evidence of nefarious goings on. I don't consider a businessman being involved in multiple endeavors to be nefarious. To me it means they are hard working and creative.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Those that opened in say the last five years, it was rare to see a customer of any race in any of them. 

This would be obvious to people who walked around Pattaya with their eyes open. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1