Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

On 4/2/2021 at 10:03 PM, kingofthemountain said:

lol a nice one !

On a more serious note the 7\11 just in front of the night market on soi bukkaho

(Near the r-con residence. opposite the amazon cafe) has just closed his doors this week

obviously they haven't been impressioned by the anouncment of the quarantine reduction

The previous months Soi bukkaho was the ''heart'' of the Pattaya usual trade (booze and girls)

since the ''death'' of beach road, second road and all the perpendiculars streets

With the end of the european winter, a lot of foreigners seem to have fly back home

and so far they haven't been replaced

The next months will be decisives for a lot of the venues, with more difficult decisions to take

Not to mention that there's an even bigger 7/11 kitty corner to that one at the entrance to the market that is doing just fine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't understand your question.

Let's say the Thai's living in Pattaya actually do get vaccinated in the near future.  This will allow tourists to return, so what happens, Thai's from Issan come back to Pattaya to work, and they are unvaccinated.   

They may get infected and return home for a wedding or funeral, now there is a wave in a town in Issan.  

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you had a high vaccination rate you could be more open as the local population would be much less likely to need hospitalization and/or die if infected.

True.  What is Thailand's current vaccination rate?  It's next to nothing.  

• Like 2

Just now, Leaver said:

Let's say the Thai's living in Pattaya actually do get vaccinated in the near future.  This will allow tourists to return, so what happens, Thai's from Issan come back to Pattaya to work, and they are unvaccinated.   

They may get infected and return home for a wedding or funeral, now there is a wave in a town in Issan.  

True.  What is Thailand's current vaccination rate?  It's next to nothing.  

Lets say that there hasn't been a Covid outbreak in Issan. 

Lets say that people can't gain employment in Pattaya unless they have been vaccinated.

Lets say that Thailand's vaccination rate depends on them producing their own AZ vaccine, which is reportedly imminent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frantick said:

Not to mention that there's an even bigger 7/11 kitty corner to that one at the entrance to the market that is doing just fine.

You have insight in their accounting?

Because it is still open doesn't mean it's doing just fine.

I have seen quite a few 7/11's and other brands shut down in Pattaya, which mean they were definitely not doing just fine

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Pattaya Mayor believes Pattaya will be 100% vaccinated by October.

I have lately seen many stories here about what the mayor believes, so far they were all wet dreams

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, polpott said:

Lets say that people can't gain employment in Pattaya unless they have been vaccinated.

Good luck with this one

most of the people in the ''hospitality'' industry don't have any form of work contract

ask any of the girls in any bar in Pattaya if she has signed a work contract, my bet is 99% don't have

and i don't even talk about all the freelances in the discos or in the streets, including beach road

52 minutes ago, polpott said:

Lets say that there hasn't been a Covid outbreak in Issan. 

Lets say that Thailand's vaccination rate depends on them producing their own AZ vaccine, which is reportedly imminent.

I see your point, but we are talking about opening the borders, thus, millions of tourists coming back to Thailand, some of which, despite being vaccinated, may have been infected with covid, and many be in that 3 day window period where they may be infectious.  Not to mention such people could spread it at the airport and on the plane to other vaccinated people, thus starting their window period of being contagious from the time they land in Thailand.  

That puts all Thai's in contact with these people at risk, as well as their contacts.  

No problem with only vaccinated people working in Pattaya, but how are they to enforce that, and how are they going to stop unvaccinated people simply coming to Pattaya.  We saw last year Pattaya could not be sealed off.

As far as manufacturing the vaccine, sure.  How much can they make. How quick can they vaccinate the Thai population?  Very little information has been forthcoming.  It appears they have no real vaccination program.  Do they think covid is just going to disappear?

Where the vaccination rate is on topic is, no tourists are coming here until 65% of Thai's have been vaccinated, and the longer that takes, leases come up for renewal.  Business owners may not renew, and there will be more closures.

It's not speculation now.  The vaccine has been discovered and developed, and is now being deployed in many countries in the world.  

If Thailand wants to open the borders, they have to start vaccinating the people.  Simple as that.  

Edited by Leaver

22 hours ago, polpott said:

Only 2 bars near me closed due to Covid. They have both reopened in the last couple of weeks. None of my favourite bars closed except during lockdown. The demise of Pattaya bars is greatly exaggerated (load of rollocks actually).

So you are obviously don't go much out expect your favorite bars?

Min 50% are closed I think but haven't been around and counting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

some of which, despite being vaccinated, may have been infected with covid, and many be in that 3 day window period where they may be infectious. 

Highly unlikely. If you have been fully vaccinated more than 3 weeks earlier, its extremely unlikely that you will contract Covid. Provides a very high level of immunisation, better than most vaccines.

Furthermore, if you, as a vaccinated person, gets up close and personal with a vaccinated bargirl, you have more chance of winning the lottery than catching Covid.

Edited by polpott
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

So you are obviously don't go much out expect your favorite bars?

Min 50% are closed I think but haven't been around and counting.

No, I do stick to my favourite bars but do observe bars in the area. I think more new bars have opened than closed in the last few months. I've given most of them a coat of looking at, a couple of them very nice.

However, I admit that I've only spent a couple of nights in Central Pattaya in the last few months and stuck to the Soi Buakhao/LK Metro/ Tree Town area. Seemed fine to me.

21 hours ago, Susco said:

You have insight in their accounting?

Because it is still open doesn't mean it's doing just fine.

I have seen quite a few 7/11's and other brands shut down in Pattaya, which mean they were definitely not doing just fine

A business model based upon people unwilling to cross the street or walk 50m is not a sustainable one. Sure the multitudes of 7/11's and Family Marts were surviving pre covid, but obviously not making enough to survive hard times. There are at least 10, maybe 20, still open within 1km of me.

Regardless, as this thread is about bars and restaurants, assuming 7/11 is your bar/restaurant of choice, you only have to walk an additional 50m to enjoy your favorite food/drink.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, polpott said:

Highly unlikely. If you have been fully vaccinated more than 3 weeks earlier, its extremely unlikely that you will contract Covid. Provides a very high level of immunisation, better than most vaccines.

What percentage is "very high?"  If it's not 100%, then Thai's will have to be vaccinated.

18 hours ago, polpott said:

Furthermore, if you, as a vaccinated person, gets up close and personal with a vaccinated bargirl, you have more chance of winning the lottery than catching Covid.

Don't you mean, more change of winning the lottery than dying of covid, if both have been vaccinated?

You can still catch covid after being vaccinated, and yes, I have posted links about this.    

If the customer has covid after being vaccinated, he can give it to the bar bar girl, and vice versa.

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Post as many links as you like but the latest consensus is that vaccines provide a very high degree of immunisation and at 70%+ of the population vaccinated herd immunity kicks in.

Always happy to take onboard now information.

Please post a link showing you CAN NOT catch covid AFTER being vaccinated.  

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

Also, protection rises exponentially if both parties are immunised. Check out figures for the UK where almost 50% of the adult population are immunised. 68k+ daily new cases back in January, 2297 new cases yesterday. Vaccines work. End of.

I agree.

What is Thailand's vaccination program?  How many Thai's have been vaccinated in Thailand to date?  What is their daily vaccination rate? 

We know what is happening in the UK.  When will similar seriously start here so people can know when borders will open and tourism can start?  Until then, you can expect more closures as leases come up for renewal.   

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

We are told that mass vaccination will start as soon as the Thai AZ facility starts producing, latest news suggests before the end of this month.

Great.  So once they start manufacturing, how quick can they deliver it to the people?

Do you have an links on the manufacturing production rate?

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

local busnessmen seem to be reacting to the news that quarantine restrictions are reducing in a phased program. Its already started on 1st April, more easing in July and a plan to have quarantine lifted for those vaccinated by October. Combined with the news that most Western countries are aiming to have the majority of their populations vaccinated by that date, local businesses are already opening/reopening. 

How can it take western countries months and months to vaccinate around 65% of their population, but Thailand will have 45,500,000 Thai's vaccinated by October?

What will Thailand be doing to be able to vaccinate the people so quickly?

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

27 gogos now open in Pattaya.

How many customers are they getting?  

Been open is one thing, being profitable is entirely different.  

7 minutes ago, polpott said:

By October expect everything to be in full swing.

Seems like a carrot on a stick, particularly to business owners, if you ask me. 

The math just doesn't add up, but I do hope it's the case.  

Just now, Leaver said:

How can it take western countries months and months to vaccinate around 65% of their population, but Thailand will have 45,500,000 Thai's vaccinated by October?

UK predicted to have 95% of the adult population vaccinated by end of July. I'm going back in 2 weeks for mine. US isn't far behind. Thailand is an autoritarian country. They will be told, "Line up and take your medicine".

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

UK predicted to have 95% of the adult population vaccinated by end of July. I'm going back in 2 weeks for mine. US isn't far behind. Thailand is an autoritarian country. They will be told, "Line up and take your medicine".

No argument from me, the UK has a fast vaccination rate, but that means nothing to Brit's who want to come to Thailand for a holiday while Thai people are not vaccinated to 65% of the population. 

Are people, Thai's and tourists, truly supposed to believe Thailand will go from a press release stating manufacture starts end of April, to 65% of Thai's vaccinated by October. 

That's 7,500,000 Thai's per month, 250,000 Thai's per day.  Authoritarian or not, do you really think Thailand is capable of these numbers?   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, polpott said:

The aim is to start with the tourist centres. Phuket is already on with it.

Talk about glass half empty, remind me to never invite you to a party! 555

Nothing to do with glass half empty, more to do with seeing through Thai smoke and mirrors.  

From what you have posted, I know what their "aim" is, but I am more interested in their ability to carry out their "aim."  

The other thing to consider is, should Thailand fudge the figures, The WHO, and other regulatory international bodies will know this, and will probably advise foreign offices of various countries to place travel warnings on Thailand.  

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, polpott said:

We are told that mass vaccination will start as soon as the Thai AZ facility starts producing, latest news suggests before the end of this month. Rather than listening to your predictions of doom and gloom, local busnessmen seem to be reacting to the news that quarantine restrictions are reducing in a phased program. Its already started on 1st April, more easing in July and a plan to have quarantine lifted for those vaccinated by October. Combined with the news that most Western countries are aiming to have the majority of their populations vaccinated by that date, local businesses are already opening/reopening. 

27 gogos now open in Pattaya. If we returned to normal opening hours and Walking Street wasn't a bomb site, it would be more. By October expect everything to be in full swing. Christ on a bike, even TQ has risen from the dead.

The recent news are that around 100 000 Thais have been vaccinated in march

in the begining of april 800 000 doses of Sinovac were expected to arrive and that's all for now.

The local production of the vaccine in Thailand is expected to start in june. i wouldn't be surprised if at usual few ''problems'' push the real start in september\october that means thai will start to be vaccinated in mass at the end of 2021, with 50\60 % reached mid 2022 in the best scenario

Meanwhile few gogos can continue to play their role as washing machine for money laundering purpose

The TQ (Tahitian Queen) was able to reopen only because of the success of his gofundme campain

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/5/2021 at 2:31 PM, frantick said:

Sure the multitudes of 7/11's and Family Marts were surviving pre covid, but obviously not making enough to survive hard times.

Many businesses here would make enough money in the high season to carry them through the low season. 

It's now been 12 months with no season. 

Without straying off topic again, many will soon realise the no season will be continuing for some time to come.  

The ones that got out early made the right decision.  The ones that are hanging in the game because they have too much invested to walk away are certainly facing a lose /  lose scenario.   

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Many businesses here would make enough money in the high season to carry them through the low season. 

It's now been 12 months with no season. 

Without straying off topic again, many will soon realise the no season will be continuing for some time to come.  

The ones that got out early made the right decision.  The ones that are hanging in the game because they have too much invested to walk away are certainly facing a lose /  lose scenario.   

Wait until the impending economic collapse happens in the west and the restaurant/bar owners can’t prop up the businesses from money abroad .