Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

9 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes it's not loking good at all

A total closure during (At least) 2 weeks for all the bars could

be the last nail in the coffin for most of them. 

Can you imagine the pain for the poor guys just going through

the quarantine for the last 2 weeks and just being released tomorrow?

The party is over, sad times, really

Have a beer outside on the beach or on your patio instead of at a crowded restaurant. THE AIR SMELLS MUCH BETTER.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

Have a beer outside on the beach or on your patio instead of at a crowded restaurant. THE AIR SMELLS MUCH BETTER.

i don't have a patio, i don't drink beer

it's very hard to find a crowed restaurant at the moment in Pattaya

and the air smells pretty much the same everywhere in the city

it depends if it's a high pollution day or not (It's ok for now because it's rainy since a week)

by the way it's still illegal to drink alcool on the beach, it's not really enforced for now but you never know, and the fine can be heavy

but hey thank for your advice, it could be useful for someone else

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

I was in Pattaya in February, and the sex tourism infrastructure (and I'm including related things like cheap hotels, street food, beach vendors, baht busses, WIN drivers, etc., all the things that make Pattaya attractive for the casual Farang traveller, apart from the obvious), albeit much reduced, was still in evidence. I suppose the longer this goes on, the more reduced it will become, and bouncing back that much harder. There has to be a tipping point at some stage. We're not there yet but give it a year, two years? . I don't live in Pattaya, I go there once a year to let off steam and blow a few baht, Cheap Charlie I'm not, but if there's nothing there to go to? Whether ex-pats can keep a core alive I don't know. Pattaya desperately needs an influx of new blood, and I'm not talking Chinese or Indians, they're mostly spectators or taking advantage of a pre-existing scene, take away the Farang, the drivers of this scene, and what do you have, a sleepy fishing village. Even the whole Bangkok Pattaya thing, so attractive to Thais, which I liken to the London Brighton thing, is predicated on a vibrant, but bit naughty scene, landscaped by Farangs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, nausea said:

Even the whole Bangkok Pattaya thing, so attractive to Thais, which I liken to the London Brighton thing, is predicated on a vibrant, but bit naughty scene, landscaped by Farangs.

Do you believe that? I am not so convinced..... I can believe living in Bangkok and enduring the crowds, cramped traveling, traffic jams and inability to put one foot in front of another must grate and drive them out whenever they get the opportunity. To sit in the open space of the improved Pattaya beach, eating relatively cheap seafood and the kids running free without fear of being run over must be attractive. I saw quite a few on the Beach on the recent Chakri Memorial Day..... were they perhaps just people from surrounding areas and not The Big Mango? 

Edited by jacko45k

On 4/8/2021 at 5:44 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Can you imagine the pain for the poor guys just going through

the quarantine for the last 2 weeks and just being released tomorrow?

The party is over, sad times, really

That would be a killer, so looking forward to a beer 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

..... were they perhaps just people from surrounding areas and not The Big Mango? 

majority were country folk from what I observed...yes a few "pale people" from BKK...the popular Hotel near my condo usually busy with weekenders from BKK is devoid of parked cars today....will 14 days be enough is my concern...hoping so.

On 4/6/2021 at 9:21 PM, chrisandsu said:

Wait until the impending economic collapse happens in the west and the restaurant/bar owners can’t prop up the businesses from money abroad . 

In the past, the solution was to simply sell to the next newbie dreamer and get out.  That's not going to happen this time, and many will be left holding the can, but even for those that can prop up their business here with funds from abroad, there will come a point in time where it simply will not be viable for them to continue to do so. 

It will most likely depend on the size of investment and monthly rent, but the bigger these are, the bigger the risk of loss should the decision be to stay in the game.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Leaver said:

In the past, the solution was to simply sell to the next newbie dreamer and get out.  That's not going to happen this time, and many will be left holding the can, but even for those that can prop up their business here with funds from abroad, there will come a point in time where it simply will not be viable for them to continue to do so. 

It will most likely depend on the size of investment and monthly rent, but the bigger these are, the bigger the risk of loss should the decision be to stay in the game.  

Some wide eyed dreamer had visions of running his own bar in Pattaya, with much girls and drink...

I forgot how this story goes. Does the bar end up not making any profit?

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

Some wide eyed dreamer had visions of running his own bar in Pattaya, with much girls and drink...

Those have already shut. 

The longer Thailand takes to start their vaccination program, even the well established bars, with good ownership and management, will eventually face the big decision to continue operating, or close, particularly as leases come up for renewal.     

5 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

I forgot how this story goes. Does the bar end up not making any profit?

I know people who became part owners in bars that was not making any money ! It’s like sharing a cake that’s already been eaten. 

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

I know people who became part owners in bars that was not making any money ! It’s like sharing a cake that’s already been eaten. 

That's some real old school <deleted>. We need more discussion on this stuff.

On 4/10/2021 at 10:09 AM, petermik said:

Plenty of beer available anywhere except in the entertainment areas....

Generally for a visitor having a beer means getting out and about and amongst it. But there's still plenty of restos serving. 

What's with the massage places, I thought they were on the closed list.? Seemed to be plenty open yesterday. 

53 minutes ago, rott said:

Generally for a visitor having a beer means getting out and about and amongst it. But there's still plenty of restos serving. 

What's with the massage places, I thought they were on the closed list.? Seemed to be plenty open yesterday. 

"Health" massages are staying open for now, soapies closed

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Just curious, have you ever posted anything other than bar owners are stupid and there are many stupid people to take their place so all bars will fail

It's a cut & paste in every post in every thread you post in

Any business failing now is because of a Pandemic affecting the whole World business model...none of your self proclaimed business smarts cover that so cut them some slack

Are you saying it's not like they were failing before the pandemic.  ????

Your posts are all the same.  Talking it up here, and you are not even here to see the economic devastation.  

Do you have any idea of the amount of closures here?

Edited by Leaver
  • Sad 1

I'm just waiting, when the last hotel and last go-go bar closes, that will be the death knell. Far from that it seems, hope lives eternal in the human heart. One year, two years, of this, I'm not so sure, there is a tipping point. Pattaya desperately needs an influx of new blood. Maybe the ex-pats can keep it alive  give it a base from which it csn bounce bsck.

17 hours ago, rott said:

'Traditional' massages are apparently allowed to be open.... have to see how long that lasts...

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 6:29 AM, jacko45k said:

'Traditional' massages are apparently allowed to be open.... have to see how long that lasts...

Maybe they could sell alcohol to customers who are getting a "traditional massage."    ????