Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

On 4/24/2021 at 1:07 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Good to see Ewan McGlashan is back in town.

Has taken charge of Steak & Co. which might save it.

He'll have to come up with some good take away specials.  I expect these restrictions to be around for at least 2 months.  

23 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Dine-in services and gathering of more than 20 people banned in Bangkok, Chonburi, Chiang Mai, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, and Samut Prakan.

20 people, jesus, that's still a nice little cluster for spreading COVID

that should be restricted to less than 6

Edited by GrandPapillon

10 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

20 people, jesus, that's still a nice little cluster for spreading COVID

The reality is, its 20 people, for things like funerals, weddings, food handouts, immigration offices etc.

Everything else is pretty much already covered.

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's not just this third wave and restrictions.

We all know we are 12 months in with no tourism here, and no tourism for another 12 months seems highly likely, and that's best case scenario.  

Many leases are 3 to 5 years.  Some have key money due annually.  A lot of these will be coming up for renewal / payment.  Do they have the money to stay in the game.  Should they even bother to stay in the game?  Those that extended themselves in business here probably see no way out other than to dig themselves deeper in. 

There will be more closures in the months ahead.   

Well with nobody around, closures are pretty likely.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It's not just the fact nobody is around, it's the length of time nobody will be around. 

With no vaccination program up and running, and around 45 million Thai's needing to be vaccinated before the borders can open, there's at least another 12 months of nobody around.  

Many businesses that have struggled to survive to this point may lack the resources, or consider it no longer financially viable, to keep operating.   

I agree with you. With nobody around, and the length of time they will be gone, it's a no-brainer that most places will shutter.

• Like 2

I know it's a very popular restaurant for the expats here in Pattaya

i see always a lot of customers inside when i drive along everyday

around 7-8 pm, it's not a definitve closure (Of course you can not 

be sure at 100%) but because of the new regulation forbiden the dine in

for the restaurants the Sailor bar and restaurant Soi 8 is closed for

the next 2 weeks (I am afraid the closure could last longer than that)

20 minutes ago, polpott said:

many bar girls who have stuck it out through the closures have now given up and are returning home, probably permanently.

By the time covid has been finally dealt with in Thailand, many will be past their prime earning potential.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Leaver said:

By the time covid has been finally dealt with in Thailand, many will be past their prime earning potential.  

You mean older/mature.? 

Nowt wrong with that lad. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Dove Club in LK Metro will be a new opening, once the restrictions are lifted.

180720034_129019412604707_102659078656279524_n.jpg.76676307324babeeca3aa9fd98d4c06d.jpg

180593766_129019462604702_5244337086457466090_n.jpg.0d7cb88ae60b9cca8435b6965c767c37.jpg

With the sacred statues and the small pot to burn the incense sticks already on the

counter, i don't see what could possibly going wrong, they should probably do ok

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Have any said that? I know they go on about living in the village, but the reality is staying there, without much money soon loses its shine.... they will be back if things open up. Many will return to the village with empty hands 

Hmmm. empty hands in Pattaya or empty hands in the village..

That's how they grew up.. can eat in the village..

And nothing to come back to here..

5 hours ago, bobbin said:

Hmmm. empty hands in Pattaya or empty hands in the village..

That's how they grew up.. can eat in the village..

And nothing to come back to here..

I thought it clear as I wrote it... but here I meant that, I expect they will return TO the village without much money and no savings. Times have been lean.  If they get back to Pattaya in the future, probably borrowed the fare.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think what the member is trying to say is, the bar girls can live for next to nothing in the village. Eg. the family grow their own rice and chickens, so there's dinner.  

Sure, there's no money to be made in the village, but they are not spending, buying such things as chicken and rice.  

Just as businesses here are trying to survive by minimizing expenses, bar girls are doing the same, which means going home.  

Once again, many will have a wait and see approach as to when it is financially viable for them to return to Pattaya.  

Bars are already struggling to to get bar girls.  I don't expect that to get any easier over the next several months.  

I agree with you. With nobody around it's a no-brainer most venues will close shop.

I think you should do a new thread, about the Bars and Restaurants that are still open, survived Covid

This one is scraping the bottom of the barrel now

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 9:09 AM, DerbyDan said:

I agree with you. With nobody around, and the length of time they will be gone, it's a no-brainer that most places will shutter.

Yes, a case of stating the bleedin' obvious. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2021 at 8:29 AM, chrisandsu said:

Yep who else is going to pay them to play connect 4 and look at their phones ? 

Well no connect 4 but Homepro, Big C and Tesco pay for them to hide underfoot in the aisles and play with their phones!