Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Of course it is.... That is perhaps why they get called Thai restaurants, offering plenty choices at low prices. If anything I find the menus at the Western places limited....  hard to know which you are in by the same fillers on offer. 

Did you consider the Thai's running such restaurants may own the land? 

Sure helps a lot when you don't have to come up with over 100,000 baht a month just for the rent.   

100,000 baht is a lot of rice and chicken dish sales, then you have all the other expenses in business.  ????

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The only way it would work for a buyer is if they went into partnership. Without his extensive input it will end up like Robins Nest and Chunky Monkey

So now you want split what little profits there are on a 120 baht meal in two.  

Would it work even better with a third partner?  ????

His extensive input, and where he makes his money, is in the purchase and construction.  His business model is the bait for the sale.  

This is his one words from the advertisement:

"Is there anyone who wants to clean up in the restaurant business when all this covid <deleted> is over???????"

If it's already busy now, which it is (lock down aside) why does "covid <deleted>" have to finish for the new owner to "clean up?" 

Shouldn't it be cleaning up now, and if it is, why would he be selling?

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Did you consider the Thai's running such restaurants may own the land? 

I suspect not.... the land has often been owned by the same family for some time. For example, the places on soi 15.... and in the Avenue and Central Festival, no, doubt they do not own.

If some fool is paying 100,000 a month in rent when a place a few doors down is a fraction, they have taken on too much.

Edited by jacko45k

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Unless the Thailand landlord has a reality check, it will sit vacant for years at that price.  

Thai landlords greed was here long before

this covid came and it was one of the main factor killing

Pattaya's businesses, the covid crisis has just accelerated the process

i am somewhere hoping they will eventually feel the bite back their a....s

but it could take years, they have made fortunes in the last decades, and even if they are impacted at some point, i am sure they will still blame the others or something else

Edited by kingofthemountain

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Perhaps you can offer an explanation as to why he keeps buying, building, and selling.  

Perhaps you could stop offering the same?

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

If the restaurants have been profitable, why sell them?   

He has not always done that, but a reason for doing so is to be able to move freely onto the next project with the prospects of regular profits again and a return on capital when complete.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

When you buy a run down place, you have the initial lease and key money cost, then the building and construction costs, then operating costs.  Not to forget, operating cost are ongoing.  

With the business model you mentioned, how many years would it take to see a return on investment, that's ALL of the capital laid down?  I haven't even taken into account the loss of that same capital investment earning somewhere else.  

There's a reason why he advertises for sale, due to ill health of course, soon after getting the business running.  

I have said in the past, due to covid, he'll either have to raise prices, or sell at a fire sale to get out.   He's done both. 

Price lowered again.  Now at 3 million.   May be selling at a loss at that price.  

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/pattaya-s-number-1-farang-restaurant-is-for-sale--387708

Interesting. That's the one place in Pattaya I ever went in, sat down, waited, and walked out because I was never served with a menu.

They must be doing something right!

32 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

Interesting. That's the one place in Pattaya I ever went in, sat down, waited, and walked out because I was never served with a menu.

I previously found them pretty snappy on service.... but I expect if one server has a bathroom break others do not automatically cover. Yah know how it goes, you have to teach something to them every day for a month, before it sinks in!

46 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I previously found them pretty snappy on service.... but I expect if one server has a bathroom break others do not automatically cover. Yah know how it goes, you have to teach something to them every day for a month, before it sinks in!

My good Thai friend said twice a day

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Nope, try again. Let me help you.

There were two servers walking around my table. The place was so busy they avoided eye contact and would not respond when summoned (walking in a half run or delivering other meals). This went on for 5-10 minutes. Not a question of ordering, but no menu to decide!

Now I am in no way putting fault on the employees. They were over worked and stressed out. If anything, I felt that leaving cut them a break.

What this shows us is that the low priced meals that attract everyone in town, and make rat for profit, is not always a great business model. Staff turnover must have been high to give one example.

58 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

Never saw it that busy of late, but I do not go for conventional meal times. As said I never had complaint as to the service, but I agree they were worked pretty hard there. In fact I was kinda impressed how some seemed to get on with a job rather than have an idle  moment.... (never walk to or from the kitchen with empty hands). 

Contradicts what one gets from staff at say Homepro or BigC....

I have no idea of their staff turnover, got an impression of the same faces each visit. No doubt some were scared off by the concept of having to actually work.

2 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

What this shows us is that the low priced meals that attract everyone in town, and make rat for profit, is not always a great business model. Staff turnover must have been high to give one example.

They usually have loads of staff in there, the max staff I've seen in any restaurant. Of course there will be times when staff have sickies or leave etc, i know some couldn't hack it going up and down the stairs so quit, lazy

2 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

There were two servers walking around my table. The place was so busy they avoided eye contact and would not respond when summoned (walking in a half run or delivering other meals). This went on for 5-10 minutes. Not a question of ordering, but no menu to decide!

Now I am in no way putting fault on the employees. They were over worked and stressed out. If anything, I felt that leaving cut them a break.

A good manager would say "I'm sorry we are so busy. We will be with you really soon"

11 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

A good manager would say "I'm sorry we are so busy. We will be with you really soon"

I don't think they have one... not sure what, if any, work permit the owner has, although I have seen him filling the dispensers and things. Didn't get involved when I sent a hardly touched meal back once, which was most unsatisfactory.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I don't think they have one... not sure what, if any, work permit the owner has, although I have seen him filling the dispensers and things. Didn't get involved when I sent a hardly touched meal back once, which was most unsatisfactory.

the older bird with the glasses is the supervisor\manager. There is an aussie who hangs about helps with deliveries, no idea his connection

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

the older bird with the glasses is the supervisor\manager. There is an aussie who hangs about helps with deliveries, no idea his connection

I thought the other guy was a potential buyer for a while.... obviously not. 

8 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

You can't have been in Pattaya long if that's the only place it's happened to you.

22 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You can't have been in Pattaya long if that's the only place it's happened to you.

Happened to me twice, both at street food places, hole in the wall soi buakhao who ignore you as does the one top of Soi 7\8 2nd road. Just rude people, other places always good

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

KISS used to be notorious. The only way was to go get your own menu from the stack near the cashier. Call it self-service.

In recent years, they've improved, even before COVID, and raised their standard to "average." 

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

KISS used to be notorious. The only way was to go get your own menu from the stack near the cashier. Call it self-service.

In recent years, they've improved, even before COVID, and raised their standard to "average." 

Yeah!! KISS Food and Drink used to be the nearest restaurant to me and it was quicker for me to walk to another place in South Road, order, get served, eat, drink and walk home, than to do the same in KISS!

But even now, there is no attention from the wait staff towards their customers. My wife and I were in a busy restaurant in Paris with 30 tables and 2 waitresses, and 1 bar staff and had no problems with ordering and getting served, my wife was amazed. Here in Thailand it's the opposite!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

One time I walked up to the cashier to order a beer. It's just easier and quicker!
I said krup after, and they put it in a coffee cup.

Edited by DerbyDan

Isn't closing what they all deserve ?

They never improved any business even before covid, buying ingredients as cheap as possible to sell them as expensive as possible !

And with covid they not only give small portions for take away food for the same price as dine in, but they also mostly use plastic and foam.

For all this they should be punished and closure is the least punishment !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, ChipButty said:

My good Thai friend said twice a day

I helped a mate out in his place in Cambodia,he told me that you just have to understand that every day they come in to work is their first day.Even if they have been there for months 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, samtab said:

And with covid they not only give small portions for take away food for the same price as dine in, but they also mostly use plastic and foam.

For all this they should be punished and closure is the least punishment !

I've not noticed that, which places?

Edited by scubascuba3

On 5/11/2021 at 2:43 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Thai landlords greed was here long before

this covid came and it was one of the main factor killing

Pattaya's businesses, the covid crisis has just accelerated the process

True.  

Thai landlords have had a lot to do with Pattaya, and other tourist destinations in Thailand, outpricing itself in the South East Asia tourism market.  Eg.  25 baht beers in an air conditioned hostess bar in Vietnam.

On 5/11/2021 at 2:43 PM, kingofthemountain said:

i am somewhere hoping they will eventually feel the bite back their a....s

but it could take years, they have made fortunes in the last decades, and even if they are impacted at some point, i am sure they will still blame the others or something else

Hard to see a market correction here, for the reason you mention, but it was needed, pre covid, with some very low high seasons.

Post covid, unless Thai landlords have a reality check, Pattaya could go the way of Costa del Sol.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1