Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im amazed at the amount of new places that have opened where I live, Rawai in Phuket.

The existing ones are struggling and along pops up another one

Ahh, Rawai.  Commonly known as God's Waiting Room in Phuket.  

Are they new builds / businesses, or just renaming of businesses that have gone broke?  

In Pattaya, most are just closed, with for sale or for rent signs.  There's been a small shuffle around for a few, but not much.  

Edited by Leaver

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Hungry Hippo have raised their prices AGAIN.

most of the profit there is made on drinks. i ordered a cheap meal once without a drink and it went over poorly. i never do that at cheap charlies, always get a drink there.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

People are going elsewhere now because he's put the prices up, maybe he'll learn

Fixated by menu signs and price fluctuations and still no smiles from the man...Some say he,s a good operator happy staff, ever queried your bill there?  It’s like a  full company audit. All that for some plastic English grub!

• Like 1

People are going elsewhere now because he's put the prices up, maybe he'll learn

I thought a few of his meals included a drink.... personally I always went for a large tea. Also were free refills not part of the deals?  I confess I have not been in for a while, the last lockdown kept me home and I still feel eating in a place like that is a bit risky. I am using open air places nearer home. (I mean open on all sides, not simply open fronted). 

What is open for business in that part of town now besides HH? Cheap Charlies, Robin Hood?

Edited by jacko45k

21 hours ago, Leaver said:
On 5/16/2021 at 9:08 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

The question the thread addresses is kinda redundant and has been for months.

There are hundreds of thousands of people wishing to return to Pattaya.  When I started this thread, way before covid, businesses were closing due to lack of customers.  Covid came along and businesses were closing, not just temporarily due to government decree, but permanently due to going broke, or not seeing it as viable to remain operating in such circumstances.  

When tourists do come back here, for many, their favourite bar and / or restaurant will not be here, possibly their favourite hotel and / or guest house as well.  

This thread is more relevant now than it was pre covid.  

If you're not already, you should be in sales............!!

45 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I thought a few of his meals included a drink.... personally I always went for a large tea. Also were free refills not part of the deals?  I confess I have not been in for a while, the last lockdown kept me home and I still feel eating in a place like that is a bit risky. I am using open air places nearer home. (I mean open on all sides, not simply open fronted). 

What is open for business in that part of town now besides HH? Cheap Charlies, Robin Hood?

the place is a death trap. enclosed, a/c on, a bunch of geezers coughing and spouting off.

selling is probably not a bad idea, site health reasons.

• Sad 1

i always sit outside at HH. An alternative is Market Cafe on soi new plaza, looks rough and ready, outside, but good Brit type food, specials include a drink, i recommend, ham egg chips, beef onion gravy baguette chips, liver bacon, ham cheese salad baguette chips, chips are the best in town

I would prefer to sit outside too but then you get the chain smokers blowing their smoke over your food.

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Ahh, Rawai.  Commonly known as God's Waiting Room in Phuket.  

Are they new builds / businesses, or just renaming of businesses that have gone broke?  

In Pattaya, most are just closed, with for sale or for rent signs.  There's been a small shuffle around for a few, but not much.  

New business's I know of one business who expanded to another location, after the first lockdown lots of empty units but many other have survived there has been 4 7/11's closed and a couple of Family marts 

1 hour ago, DerbyDan said:

the place is a death trap. enclosed, a/c on, a bunch of geezers coughing and spouting off.

selling is probably not a bad idea, site health reasons.

LOL......Sir I take offence to your post....HH customers are all young studs, in their prime.... I guess you envy all the young  buff ripped guys that dine there...... It's probably better if you dine somewhere else.....  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

most of the profit there is made on drinks. i ordered a cheap meal once without a drink and it went over poorly. i never do that at cheap charlies, always get a drink there.

Hey I like saving money too, but ordering at least a water is the polite thing to do.....

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Hey I like saving money too, but ordering at least a water is the polite thing to do.....

In this case why not simply make a drink mandatory when you order food ?

What is the next step to be a ''polite''customer? Left at least 100 thb tip for 

the staff at the end of your meal or you will be considered as rude and

expect to have a hard time at your next visit ?

I have been in the business half of my life, and i know few customers are not easy

to deal with, but honestly sometimes it's hard to understand the trade policy

at few places here in Pattaya, it's very ''special''

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Not really, i often don't bother getting a drink, before i get there I've probably drunk 2+ litres of water already I don't need anymore.  When i go for street food they usually include free water.

Pitinis was the worse, like 40 baht for a soda that should be 20 baht so I just didn't bother getting one so their greed backfired

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not really, i often don't bother getting a drink, before i get there I've probably drunk 2+ litres of water already I don't need anymore.  When i go for street food they usually include free water.

Pitinis was the worse, like 40 baht for a soda that should be 20 baht so I just didn't bother getting one so their greed backfired

I take it from your use of "was" that Pitinis has closed? If so, do you know if that's temporary or permanent? 

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

New business's I know of one business who expanded to another location, after the first lockdown lots of empty units but many other have survived there has been 4 7/11's closed and a couple of Family marts 

For the benefit of members unfamiliar with Phuket, Rawai is where many of the older retired expats live.   Many of the bars there rely on the expat trade, with very little reliance on the tourist trade.

CB, Pattaya is very different to Rawai in Phuket.  

Edited by Leaver

I think it's still open but very quiet, i stopped going because of the tip nazis in there

I just went by on a baht bus Pitinis is OPEN.......Not sure what's going on in town....Soi Bukow at 6.30 PM was deader than dead tonight, Cheap Charlies, subway, Hippo, all dead.....

Edited by redwood1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I just went by on a baht bus Pitinis is OPEN.......Not sure what's going on in town....Soi Bukow at 6.30 PM was deader than dead tonight, Cheap Charlies, subway, Hippo, all dead.....

Since all the entertainement venues like discos, bars, massages are closed

and the police was actively hunting everyone walking on the beach in the 

last days, the people from Bangkok, Thais and foreigners, have stopped

to come in Pattaya to have some fun during the week ends

Also with summer coming in europe, a lot of the western snow birds staying

in Pattaya during the winter have now going back home

And last nail on the coffin, past the 20 of the month a lot of people

Thais and foreigners are short on money, and they are waiting their

next monthly paiement (Wage or pension)

so all should be stay very quiet until at least the begining of june

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/22/2021 at 1:03 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Hungry Hippo have raised their prices AGAIN.

Anyway until they will know that chicken dishes should include chicken, I will never eat there again. They are not very cheap and they always use the minimum ingredients. Owner also is full of himself to the point that someone would have taught him a lesson back home... He never accepts the truth and always lie in his replies.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

Anyway until they will know that chicken dishes should include chicken, I will never eat there again. They are not very cheap and they always use the minimum ingredients. Owner also is full of himself to the point that someone would have taught him a lesson back home... He never accepts the truth and always lie in his replies.

Well HH beef stew use to be a bowl of beef stew.....Last time I was there the bowl was gone and the beef stew was poured over rice...I was kind of shocked....