Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

2 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

where are the customers drinking/meeting at then, just regular bars?

The girls you cantact on the dating site can come directly to your room

but you can also meet them before to be sure everything is ok

and the young guys prefer to meet them in a stardust coffee or in

another random place in one of the shopping malls in Pattaya

1\ that makes the girls more comfortable (They are not forced to identify with the

others prostitutes working in the bar, the face thing and so on) and the guy doesn't

appear like he is roaming in the girlies bars on a regular basis (It's not very a rational thinking

but it's a fact for hygienics reasons the girls love to believe that you are not a prostitutes addict)

no need to go in a girlie bar to meet your rent girl for 1 hour or 1 day

there are a lot of more comfortable and often cheaper places to go for it

17 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

The girls you cantact on the dating site can come directly to your room

but you can also meet them before to be sure everything is ok

and the young guys prefer to meet them in a stardust coffee or in

another random place in one of the shopping malls in Pattaya

1\ that makes the girls more comfortable (They are not forced to identify with the

others prostitutes working in the bar, the face thing and so on) and the guy doesn't

appear like he is roaming in the girlies bars on a regular basis (It's not very a rational thinking

but it's a fact for hygienics reasons the girls love to believe that you are not a prostitutes addict)

no need to go in a girlie bar to meet your rent girl for 1 hour or 1 day

there are a lot of more comfortable and often cheaper places to go for it

i understand, but when i'm in pattaya i like to go out for a beer once in awhile, not just sit in my room.

are you saying that the bar scene is dying altogether in normal times and that it was old timers who enjoyed that (covid aside), or it was just that type of open air bar that is dying?

24 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

i understand, but when i'm in pattaya i like to go out for a beer once in awhile, not just sit in my room.

are you saying that the bar scene is dying altogether in normal times and that it was old timers who enjoyed that (covid aside), or it was just that type of open air bar that is dying?

You still have few guys enjoying to go in an open bar for a drink

myself i do it sometimes, but nowadays (I mean in ''normal time'' before covid) in Pattaya the western tourist is a guy in his 30-40 who enjoys having fun with his mates (Coming with him or meet here after a chat on a forum or FB) in a fun place

it could be a Soi 6 bar in the afternoon, surrounded by young attractive girls or it could be a disco (I-bar\insomnia, 808) at night, and the rest of the time he is chillin around the swimming pool or in one of the shopping mails, or traveling to Koh chang for a day at a decent beach

the lonely 50-70 years old guy with his beer during hours in an open beer bar with no aircon and an unatractive and relatively boring farm girl from morning to night is something of the past, they were also the ones occupying the chairs on Pattaya beach so this business have also lost his customers base

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

You still have few guys enjoying to go in an open bar for a drink

myself i do it sometimes, but nowadays (I mean in ''normal time'' before covid) in Pattaya the western tourist is a guy in his 30-40 who enjoys having fun with his mates (Coming with him or meet here after a chat on a forum or FB) in a fun place

it could be a Soi 6 bar in the afternoon, surrounded by young attractive girls or it could be a disco (I-bar\insomnia, 808) at night, and the rest of the time he is chillin around the swimming pool or in one of the shopping mails, or traveling to Koh chang for a day at a decent beach

the lonely 50-70 years old guy with his beer during hours in an open beer bar with no aircon and an unatractive and relatively boring farm girl from morning to night is something of the past, they were also the ones occupying the chairs on Pattaya beach so this business have also lost his customers base

lonely 50-70 year old guys don't just die out, they get replaced by new 50-70 year old lonely guys.

do these new old guys still prefer insomnia nightclub, or what's the new old guy scene?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

If i take the example of the French people (I know well, being french myself) there was a big community of them in Pattaya in the past with their restaurants, their bars and their associations and clubs.

They are not in Pattaya anymore, most of them have returned in France or in europeans countries around (Spain, Portugal or even north africa)

where they can access to free health careand being not far from the family.

In the last 10 years. the french money (Euro) has lost 30% of his value against the baht, and in the same time the prices have incresed of 30% in Thailand.

Imagine a guy on a fixed pension (That was the case for most of them, due to the visas requirment for the age) losing 60% of his buying power in 10 years?! 

Plus a lot of them were on the income method for the visa, and they were just above the financial requirment. With the change in the x change rate, they are not anymore able to justify a 65 000 bahts\month 

With a pension of 1500 euros\month (The medium pension in France)

it was 67500 bahts\month with 1 euro= 45 baht, it was just but ok

with 1 euro = 38 bahts its 57 000 bahts, and it's not enough

(I take 1 euro = 45 bahts as an example, but keep in mind most of these guys were here when you had 1 euro = 50 bahts or even more)

i had a neighbor two units over in pattaya, french guy, who used to cook meals (some kind of soup) on a small propane stove on his balcony. always looked a bit odd to me like he was destitute or something. could hear the spoon clanging on the pan as he stirred it. also he was always in just boxers with no shirt on. i think he was one of the pensioners you mentioned.

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

i had a neighbor two units over in pattaya, french guy, who used to cook meals (some kind of soup) on a small propane stove on his balcony. always looked a bit odd to me like he was destitute or something. could hear the spoon clanging on the pan as he stirred it. also he was always in just boxers with no shirt on. i think he was one of the pensioners you mentioned.

Not only the french guys

from my observations here in Pattaya years after years most

of the expats from all nationalities seem to be on a budget

there are probably few very wealthy people, but in tiny numbers

and it makes sense, if you really have big money, imo there are

much better places than Pattaya around the world or in Thailand

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

are you talking out and about or in his private condo? fancy that wearing just boxers is his home in a hot climate, well I never

i have to confess than when i am in my condo i am most of the time 

nude or just wearing a boxer, indeed it's much more comfortable with the climate

however i never go out without clothes or even without a shirt on, except when i am on the beach or at the swimming pool

Soi 33 off Pattaya Naklua Road: All the businesses and homes have been closed on the left hand side coming from the main road. They have now been fenced off ready for demolition.

Restaurants gone include Bei Mama, Armenia and Bei Gerard, though the latter have set up on the main road.

Bars gone include Pit Bull, Nicky's Bar (ex Little Bella Italia), Zanzibar and Skylab. 

Also gone are various businesses: massage shops, laundrys, pharmacies. All the homes at the top end of the soi have gone.

Everything on the right hand side of the soi remains, including Bazi and Grottino restaurants.

I don't know what will be going up after demolition but whatever it is will be slap bang next to the new 5 star hotel which is nearing completion and was scheduled to open this September, the last I heard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, champers said:

Soi 33 off Pattaya Naklua Road: All the businesses and homes have been closed on the left hand side coming from the main road. They have now been fenced off ready for demolition.

Does this have something to do with the new (sorry) Terminal 21 Grande Center Point 2 ?

12 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Does this have something to do with the new (sorry) Terminal 21 Grande Center Point 2 ?

I don't think so, though that is only accross the Pattaya/Naklua road. I would have thought that the new hotel right next door to the demolition area might be connected. I think the properties being torn down are/were German owned. I was hoping that some posters on here might have the lowdown about what is going on.

I will dig deeper and update if I do discover anything.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

they are not replaced in the same numbers like they were in the past

there are a lot of reasons for it, Thailand is less attractive now for them

the high prices, the high baht, the low service and low level in english

the high pollution, the high visas requirments and so on

the new generations of retired men from the west have better options

If i take the example of the French people (I know well, being french myself) there was a big community of them in Pattaya in the past with their restaurants, their bars and their associations and clubs.

They are not in Pattaya anymore, most of them have returned in France or in europeans countries around (Spain, Portugal or even north africa)

where they can access to free health careand being not far from the family.

In the last 10 years. the french money (Euro) has lost 30% of his value against the baht, and in the same time the prices have incresed of 30% in Thailand.

Imagine a guy on a fixed pension (That was the case for most of them, due to the visas requirment for the age) losing 60% of his buying power in 10 years?! 

Plus a lot of them were on the income method for the visa, and they were just above the financial requirment. With the change in the x change rate, they are not anymore able to justify a 65 000 bahts\month 

With a pension of 1500 euros\month (The medium pension in France)

it was 67500 bahts\month with 1 euro= 45 baht, it was just but ok

with 1 euro = 38 bahts its 57 000 bahts, and it's not enough

(I take 1 euro = 45 bahts as an example, but keep in mind most of these guys were here when you had 1 euro = 50 bahts or even more)

Makes perfect sense . I remember going back 15 years ago we used to see a lot more Germans/Swedish/ French . Those numbers have certainly dropped off since then (pre covid) have to also say your English is excellent for a non native . 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Woodstock? Sounds like the name of a crunchy granola company.

Guess you don't remember 1969? 

Mind you, I've heard it said that if you can remember the sixties, you weren't there!

11 hours ago, champers said:

.... and Steak & Co's premises are soon to be taken on by a BBQ resto named Woodstock. Yeah man.????

There was a straight, sort of mellow and very relaxing bar/resto in Nana Plaza called Woodstock a while back. Then they moved to Ekamai and the style changed to minimalist and v cool. 

Just saw the BBQ bit so possibly not the same. ????

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Leaver said:

One of Nick Dean's better interviews with Steve, the owner of Triangle Bar.   

Steve gets quite emotional when asked, 'When do you throw in the towel?"    

Main points are, no reduction on rent in Soi Pothole, which in my opinion is a disgrace. Triangle Bar costing him 80,000 baht a month, with currently nothing coming in.   His key money was paid for 3 years, but we are now 18 months into that 3 years, with no sign profits will be returning anytime soon.  He's been propping up the business with funds from the UK, but admits there may come a time when he will have to make a hard decision.  

I do hope he survives.  He runs a good operation.  

Yeah that buy 1 drink double price get second drink free worked well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, champers said:

.... and Steak & Co's premises are soon to be taken on by a BBQ resto named Woodstock. Yeah man.????

Not the same owners as the one that used to be in Nana Plaza in BKK?

They used to do excellent sandwiches. 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Main points are, no reduction on rent in Soi Pothole, which in my opinion is a disgrace. Triangle Bar costing him 80,000 baht a month, with currently nothing coming in.   His key money was paid for 3 years, but we are now 18 months into that 3 years, with no sign profits will be returning anytime soon.  He's been propping up the business with funds from the UK, but admits there may come a time when he will have to make a hard decision.  

also it can be interesting to notice that despite being here since ages

and runing a business considered like ''succesful'' he has obviously

not been able to put money on the side for the raining days

in these hard times, he is now forced to use his pension to pay the rent

and to sleep in the bar H24 being afraid of someone come inside to rob few barstools or old beer stock

i consider all of it it like a big slap in the face for all the guys here and there coming and explaining that you can earn big money with a bar in Pattaya, when in fact it's an urban legend or only the exception for an handfull of people

As usual the only ones ALWAYS earning good money are the Thai landlords

Basically the business owner (Often a farang, but not always) is a 

slave for the building\land owner, taking all the risks and the hassles

doing all the job day after day and year after year

with very little or no return on investissment at all at the end

And the interviewer, Nick, is in the exact same situation

he is bleeding money with his 2 bars, if he hadn't his money

coming from England, he will be broken since a long time already

• Like 1

As hard as it is to admit, I think it is time to call it quits as this new outbreak and accompanying lockdown will continue until there are vaccinations so for me we are looking at a further 12 to 18 months of lockdowns, possibly in perpetuity, possibly on and off as the local situation dictates. 

If you don't own your own premises you are at the whim of greedy landlords. 

Saying all that I will pop in to the Triangle when it is open again and buy him a drink.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

And the interviewer, Nick, is in the exact same situation

he is bleeding money with his 2 bars, if he hadn't his money

coming from England, he will be broken since a long time already

Since you are in the know, how much is he making off his youtube channel?

2 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Since you are in the know, how much is he making off his youtube channel?

I don't have the exact amount

but afaik it's not a lot of money

i would say something around 10k bhts\months

the main interest for him with his channel was to drive

people from abroad to his bar(s), at least that was the plan

before the covid crisis and the closures

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

When you don't cut things right away it becomes harder to close down later. You have already lost money so you just hold on hoping it's going to bounce back. How long can it last, right.

What happens with most people is they end up getting frustrated and closing at the worst possible time (right before things start turning around for the better).

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Thanks 1