Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Predictions like that were considered a joke in the middle of 2020, now, a prediction like that can be taken seriously.  

I was always optimistic that this would blow over like previous viral events.... my pendulum has swung. I see the UK, where 'the end was nigh'   and new infection numbers approach their worst from back in January....this will come to the rest of Europe, how can it not. The next strain surely will come. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I was always optimistic that this would blow over like previous viral events.... my pendulum has swung. I see the UK, where 'the end was nigh'   and new infection numbers approach their worst from back in January....this will come to the rest of Europe, how can it not. The next strain surely will come. 

I agree with your sentiment.  

Those that walked away early in 2020 are probably glad they did.  They have saved themselves a lot of money, time, and stress.  Some may even get back into the game in 2022, at a better location and / or a better building, and probably for cheaper.  

Those still in the game here would be propping their businesses up with with savings, or income from abroad.  With a long road ahead with no income, and then minimal income in the longer term, I am wondering what they think their end game is.  I'm sure their Thai landlords are happy.  

It's strange to have a nice new shiny establishment that in the middle of what could be described as a wasteland.

Edited by Leaver

First the number of farang tourist was down for a few years before covid.

Then covid hit and tourism dropped to almost zero...

Then restaurants were hit with shortened hours then no alcohol then they closed .......I think this is the 3rd? time now....

When a restaurant closes they lose lots of prepped food and vegetables and many have to keep paying critical employees and rent and electric and and and......

Then they open again with lots of restrictions and few customers.......And it just goes on and on......

If this horrible cycle does not stop Pattaya restaurant numbers will be falling off a cliff in the not to distant future.....I can see no other outcome..... 

Restaurants are a one way ticket to Bankruptcy in the current environment........Except the few who do good with online sale.....  

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

When a restaurant closes they lose lots of prepped food and vegetables and many have to keep paying critical employees and rent and electric and and and......

Even market vendors are complaining..... my Mrs went to get tangerines for my daily freshly squeezed juice... this morning. No customers, so the vendors have surplus stock......  any price reduction I asked.... guess the answer to that one!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Even market vendors are complaining..... my Mrs went to get tangerines for my daily freshly squeezed juice... this morning. No customers, so the vendors have surplus stock......  any price reduction I asked.... guess the answer to that one!

Conversely foreigners who for the most part aren't living from hand to mouth trying to miser a few extra baht from the hurting thai population isn't what I would call a good look either.

17 minutes ago, jwdub12 said:

Conversely foreigners who for the most part aren't living from hand to mouth trying to miser a few extra baht from the hurting thai population isn't what I would call a good look either.

My  Mrs is Thai and I talked to nobody  there!

On 7/19/2021 at 12:08 PM, redwood1 said:

First the number of farang tourist was down for a few years before covid.

Then covid hit and tourism dropped to almost zero...

Then restaurants were hit with shortened hours then no alcohol then they closed .......I think this is the 3rd? time now....

Then they open again with lots of restrictions and few customers.......And it just goes on and on......

If this horrible cycle does not stop Pattaya restaurant numbers will be falling off a cliff in the not to distant future.....I can see no other outcome..... 

Restaurants are a one way ticket to Bankruptcy in the current environment........Except the few who do good with online sale.....  

The availability of cuisines from all around the world is one of the main things that attracted me to Pattaya. 

The different foods that were available here, and for reasonable prices, was great.  

I would think that the countries last to come out of covid will be the last to have some of their countrymen open a restaurant here in the future.  

Post covid, I expect not so much variety for "foodies" for a considerable time into the future.    

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 1:52 PM, jwdub12 said:

I think what the member was getting at was, Thai vendors with perishable goods for sale, and a diminished market to sell to, would rather keep their normal price, than offer a discount in order o move all of their product, thus resulting in lost sales and rotting food, all the time when struggling Thai's may be capable of buying, if a discount was offered. 

It's not about the member, or his Thai wife.  It's about Thai Business 101, and in the current circumstances, with hungry Thai people around, to hold out for a baht on a kilo of something, a baht too high for many Thai's, just to see the food rot, is not a good look, either.   

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

It says it's the biggest nightclub in Pattaya.  I wouldn't have thought so.  Anyway, it's most likely finished.  

https://thailand.businessesforsale.com/thai/huge-opportunity-for-well-known-nightclub-pattaya-for-sale.aspx

You can only keep so much capitol in reserves . This whole situation is sucking a lot of people dry . Will only take a few high rent paying businesses to collapse and the hurt will be felt by everyone . 

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

It says it's the biggest nightclub in Pattaya.  I wouldn't have thought so.  Anyway, it's most likely finished.  

https://thailand.businessesforsale.com/thai/huge-opportunity-for-well-known-nightclub-pattaya-for-sale.aspx

So it is valued at 50mil baht.... I suspect not at the moment with zero income and little prospect of any soon.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 12:08 AM, jacko45k said:

uk numbers have been fallin for 6 days and jabs has it under control now ,just mild cases and no symtoms cases .boris is not worried

18 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

uk numbers have been fallin for 6 days and jabs has it under control now ,just mild cases and no symtoms cases .boris is not worried

Yes, the post you responded to was a few weeks ago... now we see UK infection numbers falling. Time for optimism..... ? Some are saying it is because schools are closed 

3 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

You were doing fine until "Boris is not worried"....now I'm worried! ????

Seriously though, you're right which, yet again shows that when the population is vaccinated, so-called "cases" matter less and less.

Covid: Have we passed the peak and can we relax?

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 2:27 PM, piston broke said:

223083885_10224464529094262_8595556829569575166_n.jpg

Went past on the Baht bus and I wondered why so many people there - now I know.

What a shame. I was by no means a regular but the place was always pretty busy pre-covid with a loyal clientele. He actually moved to the bigger place next door, last year when it looked like Covid was history.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

What exactly are you buying for 8.5 million ? A few tables and chairs ? I presume it’s not for the building ?  

The picture literally says building for sale in big red letters and at the bottom it says for sale in company name.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

The picture literally says building for sale in big red letters and at the bottom it says for sale in company name.

The add was changed . Originally it said get in at the right time ….said nothing about freehold or building for sale . Must of been edited after . 

On 7/31/2021 at 8:13 PM, chrisandsu said:

The add was changed . Originally it said get in at the right time ….said nothing about freehold or building for sale . Must of been edited after . 

Changed again.

Big price drop.  

The smart, or lucky ones, got out early 2020.  Many are riding the wave all the way to the shore.  

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/buy-now-no-more-cheaper-only-7-3-mb-435983

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

Changed again.

Big price drop.  

The smart, or lucky ones, got out early 2020.  Many are riding the wave all the way to the shore.  

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/buy-now-no-more-cheaper-only-7-3-mb-435983

Maybe we should all put 100 baht in and guess  the correct amount  of edits before it sells ? 

• Haha 1