Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

On 8/24/2022 at 4:15 AM, scubascuba3 said:

No not back to pre covid levels, but getting there which we can all be positive about, even you ????

Sure, tourists are coming back, but it's still quite a long way from pre covid levels. 

Given the world is heading into a recession and energy crisis, it may be some time before Pattaya actually "gets there." 

Meanwhile, the clock is still ticking on leases here, thus, it's possible more Fore Sale signs will be going up, and more closures to come. 

On 8/24/2022 at 5:08 AM, Olmate said:

Well CC in Jomtien is.definetly better than precovid level... agree...? ????

Once again, the member declared "Pattaya is thriving."  A few busy cheap eats / drinks establishments is not indicative of Pattaya City in general. 

9 hours ago, peterfranks said:

Out of curiosity, what is your point, other than trying to bait?

I was actually wondering if the 15 years overlapped the period I have been coming here.

Presumably that was your top 20 because it was never on my list of must visit bars.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:56 PM, peterfranks said:

In the main bar areas only half, or even less, of the bars are open.

You think Soi 2, or actually everything past soi 6 second road, wasn't a main bar area.

Soi 8 and soi 7 weren't main bar areas?

Walking street wasn't a main bar area?

Look how many bars and gogo's are still closed in those main areas, then you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure why some bars are packed

Soi 2 has always been dead, sois 7 & 8 have been dead for years before covid. Also Walking Street dead since the Chinese flag tour videoing everything so no loss if it's now quieter

On 8/24/2022 at 5:17 AM, PJ71 said:

How are you making the comparison?

My observations and speaking to staff and owners.

Your negative perception may be completey different to 'normal' people if it's just based on visual observations.

How so, when the number of staff consistently outnumber the number of customers in an establishment?

For how long do you think owners can continue to sustain losses?

Although you don't like it coz it's something positive, the main bar areas in Pattaya are generally packed these days, deal with it

So you've changed your statement from "Pattaya is thriving" to "main bar areas in Pattaya are generally packed."  ????

So now is a couple of "packed" bars in an area that makes the area "generally packed."  ????

As I said, a few weeks ago I visited one of the most popular bars in the Baukhao / Pothole area, being Triangle Bar, and the most popular bar on LK Metro, being Billabong Bar, and they were both quiet, and I mean quieter than low season 2019.  Were they busier than other bars, yes, but what does that say about the other bars? 

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

As I said, a few weeks ago I visited one of the most popular bars in the Baukhao / Pothole area, being Triangle Bar, and the most popular bar on LK Metro, being Billabong Bar, and they were both quiet, and I mean quieter than low season 2019.  Were they busier than other bars, yes, but what does that say about the other bars? 

You need to get out more, Billabong Bar has been one of the quietest bars in LK Metro for years 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, topt said:

I was actually wondering if the 15 years overlapped the period I have been coming here.

Presumably that was your top 20 because it was never on my list of must visit bars.

The top 20 is not determined by one's eagerness to visit, but rather by profitability, brand/name awareness and number of visitors.

You will know that probably less than 20% of the bars in Pattaya are really profitable, but mostly cater to the owner's needs for cheap alcohol.

The 15 year was up to when Covid started.

On 8/25/2022 at 12:47 PM, treetops said:

I noticed you even became an instant ferry expert recently too.

How does commenting on the possible actions of a Thai billionaire make me a ferry expert? 

The OP stated my thoughts were interesting, and he appears to be a ferry expert.  The project goes beyond the boat itself.

The OP had similar issues with the first project.  I simply pointed out where similar issues may lie with the second project. 

13 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

The top 20 is not determined by one's eagerness to visit, but rather by profitability, brand/name awareness and number of visitors.

You will know that probably less than 20% of the bars in Pattaya are really profitable, but mostly cater to the owner's needs for cheap alcohol.

The 15 year was up to when Covid started.

Top 20 is not determined by you either, 14 years coming to Pattaya never heard of your so called hotspot of Atlantic bar

I guess I must be going to a different Pattaya

Just now, aussiexpat said:

Top 20 is not determined by you either, 14 years coming to Pattaya never heard of your so called hotspot of Atlantic bar

I guess I must be going to a different Pattaya

I've been following your posts today, and it is obvious that you consider yourself the only expert in everything, because you have been ridiculing everyone's post.

It isn't because you are ignorant to your surroundings, that makes you an expert

3 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

I've been following your posts today, and it is obvious that you consider yourself the only expert in everything, because you have been ridiculing everyone's post.

It isn't because you are ignorant to your surroundings, that makes you an expert

So sorry that I have not heard of Atlantic Bar that is your reason for coming to Pattaya...she must have been great lol

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Soi 2 has always been dead, sois 7 & 8 have been dead for years before covid. Also Walking Street dead since the Chinese flag tour videoing everything so no loss if it's now quieter

What is a member who is not living here supposed to believe? 

They are reading this forum / thread, trying to decide if / when they should spend their hard earned and book flights, and they read from one member "Pattaya is thriving" and from you Walking Street is dead, so to sois 2, 7 and 8.

Back on topic, if bars are for sale, then I doubt they are "thriving" and if Walking Street and other sois are dead, how long before more bars on those sois come onto the market, and without a buyer, how long before they close?

4 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

So sorry that I have not heard of Atlantic Bar that is your reason for coming to Pattaya...she must have been great lol

The difference between me and you is that I live here permanently for the past 30 years, long before Atlantic bar existed.

How about you, posting from your mum's basement in Oz?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

You need to get out more, Billabong Bar has been one of the quietest bars in LK Metro for years 

Interesting comment. 

If we have a large bar, for example. 500 m2, and there are 50 customers in it, it appears quiet, but if we have a smaller bar, say 100 m2, and there are 25 customers in it, it will appear busy. 

Which bar is making more money, with regards to expenses, including rent? 

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Interesting comment. 

If we have a large bar, for example. 500 m2, and there are 50 customers in it, it appears quiet, but if we have a smaller bar, say 100 m2, and there are 25 customers in it, it will appear busy. 

Which bar is making more money, with regards to expenses, including rent? 

Why are you stating ridiculous theories. Simple fact is Billabong has been empty for years and hasn't bounced back post covid

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Some members have a conflict of interests, and they do not like the truth being discussed on this forum / thread.

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

Why are you stating ridiculous theories. Simple fact is Billabong has been empty for years and hasn't bounced back post covid

Hold on, another member said "Pattaya is thriving."  Now a list of bars is being posted that have been "empty."  Oh dear.  ???? 

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Can you tell me a positive about the once very popular Billabong Bar, being "empty for years?"  ???? 

Yeah, Jibby's opposite has taken off, 60 baht beers, beautiful women, no phone app needed 

On 8/25/2022 at 1:49 PM, PJ71 said:

Soi Bukhow(sp) is considered one of the main bar areas - packed.

Name some bars that are "packed" on Soi Baukhao.

On 8/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, PJ71 said:

The good places - packed.

Name some places that are "good."

On 8/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, PJ71 said:

I can't vouch for walking st, not been for years, nor the lower sois you mention.

If that's the case, how can you state "Pattaya is thriving?" 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Perhaps every business in Pattaya should sell tacos so the whole city can "thrive" as well.  ????

Well no, am just pointing out you are the doom and gloom merchant yet every establishment I frequent is doing great with plenty of patronage.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 10:04 PM, champers said:

The Pig and Whistle in Jomtien is going strong, same menu as Soi 7. Went this evening for a very nice liver, bacon and onions with 3 veg and roast taters. Lovely.

I think you'll find the P/W in Soi 7 is now an Indian restaurant RIP.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure what your point is. Yes these places are Expat oriented so why you feel like a tourist I do not grasp. 

I feel like someone who can't leave their comfort zone when I eat there. Like I'm afraid to go out and enjoy some local food.

Nobody cares so it's not a big deal. It's just a vibe I get in expat oriented places.

I had a close neighbor drinking buddy who ate at these places exclusively and it felt odd to me. He never wanted to have a meal or a beer at a local spot, it always had to be an expat place. So my question is why was he here if he always had to eat in an expat place? ????‍♂️

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

why was he here if he always had to eat in an expat place? ????‍♂️

I agree that it's weird that people come to Thailand maybe live here long term but don't like Thai food, but the reason is pretty straight forward, they are here for the sex life. I go through phases of going to expat restaurants, other times all Thai, most often mix of the two

9 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I had a close neighbor drinking buddy who ate at these places exclusively and it felt odd to me. He never wanted to have a meal or a beer at a local spot, it always had to be an expat place. So my question is why was he here if he always had to eat in an expat place?

Some people are like that, it can be a miserly nature, or phobia of foreign things....but even in these Expat places, things are different than back home.