Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Some people are like that, it can be a miserly nature, or phobia of foreign things....but even in these Expat places, things are different than back home.

Maybe they don't know what to order at local places.

Of course they could always just try things until they find something they like....

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree that it's weird that people come to Thailand maybe live here long term but don't like Thai food, but the reason is pretty straight forward, they are here for the sex life.

He only hooked up with other female foreigners (usually travelers he met at the expat bar) and was not into Thai women!

Another weird thing is that he went to the SAME expat bar each time (almost) daily.

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Another weird thing is that he went to the SAME expat bar each time (almost) daily.

I used to do something like that in my early tourist trips to Thailand when I think back.

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree that it's weird that people come to Thailand maybe live here long term but don't like Thai food, but the reason is pretty straight forward, they are here for the sex life. I go through phases of going to expat restaurants, other times all Thai, most often mix of the two

Right so somebody living here fulltime whom does not eat Thai food  is here only for sex ?

Bwahahahahahaha how delusional are you !!

FWIW, I do eat Thai food, if it has no chilli or spices but if there is also steak/hamburger/hot dog on that same menu..... bye bye Thai <deleted>.

Edited by Ralf001

The longer I live here full time the less Thai Food I eat. I should say I don't eat out period much. I enjoy dining at beach front nice Thai restaurants. Love the sea bass either steamed or fried with chilies and garlic sauce. Plus the regular Thai dishes. We do that maybe weekly. A trip to the mall we usually end up at Shabu.

If I was a single guy living in patts I don't think I would do much Thai food except to the nicer places. As we get older we think more about health, and that sort of leaves out fast food to include Thai food.

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Right so somebody living here fulltime whom does not eat Thai food  is here only for sex ?

Bwahahahahahaha how delusional are you !!

FWIW, I do eat Thai food, if it has no chilli or spices but if there is also steak/hamburger/hot dog on that same menu..... bye bye Thai <deleted>.

of course I'm generalising which is generally right

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The longer I live here full time the less Thai Food I eat.

Same here, I used to eat Thai food frequently at road side restaurants.

The last 4-5 years quality has decreased significantly, so I can't be bothered any more.

And I don't fancy paying 150 - 200 baht for a rice topped with fried chicken and an egg at those fancy restaurants.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not at all just the standard guy with a much younger girlfriend where it's based on money

Sorry to hear you relationship is based on money (do you pay by the hour/week/month?).... but hey if you are happy who am I to judge.

On 8/27/2022 at 3:14 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I agree that it's weird that people come to Thailand maybe live here long term but don't like Thai food, but the reason is pretty straight forward, they are here for the sex life. I go through phases of going to expat restaurants, other times all Thai, most often mix of the two

Wow, if you don't like Thai food you must be here for the sex life?

I never eat Thai food and never Barfined anyone in 14 years. I must be a unique individual

33 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I never eat Thai food and never Barfined anyone in 14 years.

That maybe because you are younger or no sex drive, who knows, so you never use dating apps? even though you go to loads of bars you don't bar fine? some guys are stuck with long term girlfriends

57 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

ok let's make it simple, of those 30 friends and you, how many have a younger girlfriend?

Not sure to be honest, all came with their farang wives and I dare not ask their ages.

1 fella has a Thai lady who he met after his wife was killed a few years ago, I think the Thai lady is about his age.

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Not sure to be honest, all came with their farang wives and I dare not ask their ages.

1 fella has a Thai lady who he met after his wife was killed a few years ago, I think the Thai lady is about his age.

Bringing farang wives is like bringing sand to the beach, oh well each to their own

On 8/27/2022 at 4:01 AM, aussiexpat said:

Yeah, Jibby's opposite has taken off, 60 baht beers, beautiful women, no phone app needed 

Like I said, small area, cheap beer, looks busy.  There's big money to be made selling 60 baht beers in a small bar.  ???? 

Sell 60 baht beers in a phone box with two customers in it and you could call it "rammed."  ????

Edited by Leaver

On 8/27/2022 at 4:41 AM, Ralf001 said:

Well no, am just pointing out you are the doom and gloom merchant yet every establishment I frequent is doing great with plenty of patronage.

Do you walk past or ride / drive past other establishments to get to the ones you visit?  Have you made observations of them?  How are the other establishments doing, in general? 

On 8/27/2022 at 4:29 AM, jacko45k said:

No, I don't think so. 

Billabong Bar was the busiest bar on LK Metro.  That big wave of mongers returning to Pattaya after covid didn't happen.  Many think it will happen next high season, but with a global recession around the corner, I'm not so sure. 

Many of the bars / restaurants / hotels / retail could be looking at 3 years, or more, of poor sales, and that's pretty much their lease done.  Do they roll again, put the For Sale sign up, or walk away? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

Billabong Bar was the busiest bar on LK Metro.  That big wave of mongers returning to Pattaya after covid didn't happen.  Many think it will happen next high season, but with a global recession around the corner, I'm not so sure. 

Many of the bars / restaurants / hotels / retail could be looking at 3 years, or more, of poor sales, and that's pretty much their lease done.  Do they roll again, put the For Sale sign up, or walk away? 

With the cost of living in the West being through the roof I wonder if some retirees are giving serious thought to moving here permanently.