Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That would make you a tourist.  Right?  

Only those transferred here for work, or offered a job here, may have come to Pattaya "sight unseen."  

The vast majority of current western expats had a holiday here first, or several holidays here, before deciding to live here.  

If Thailand / Pattaya doesn't attract western tourists, there will be a decline in western expat retirees in the future.  Then, you have other issues like exchange rates and cost of living here etc, but it's attracting them here for a holiday that advertises Pattaya to them as a retirement destination.  

Not really, I was looking for a retirement destination in SE Asia, then narrowed it down to Thailand and gave Pattaya a try amongst several other destinations. I never really fancied Pattaya until my first visit and it was better than I'd imagined. Initially Chiang Mai was my first choice but after further visits I went off it. Probably would never have visited Pattaya as an out and out holidaymaker.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most bars have more staff than customers, gogos probably 5-1. had a businessman sit beside me this winter in a gogo in pattaya, he commented on how can these bars stay open, no customers in most,

Great.    Did you notice I started this thread in the Pattaya Forum?

Well Hooters Pattaya was roasted by the expat community in Pattaya from the first day they opened and for years afterwards.......But Hooters just ignored all the zillions of negative expat posts and t

Posted Images

7 hours ago, petermik said:

I can assure you it,s far from miserable here rain or no rain....miserable is when your sat indoors back in the UK in wintertime looking outside at the cold damp and dreary weather and night time closing in at 4pm....the only consolation is that the central heating is working fine.....now that IS miserable :thumbsup:

I was talking about Thailand being a bit rainy right now, but then talking about 'over there', meaning the UK, and it being miserable. I live in Thailand. 

42 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I was talking about Thailand being a bit rainy right now, but then talking about 'over there', meaning the UK, and it being miserable. I live in Thailand. 

Thailand has double the average annual rainfall compared to the UK.

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Without western tourists holidaying here, pre Covid and post Covid, who will replace the current generation of expat retiree?

It was a holiday to Pattaya that advertised Pattaya as a retirement destination.  We saw last high season western tourist numbers were way down. 

There may not be as many western expats here in the future unless Thailand / Pattaya can lure back western tourists, some of whom will become the next generation of western expat retiree.  

I don't care, when i visit now i prefer it to the 'pre CV days'.

Less people / less traffic / still loads of burds ( or boys, if that's your fancy ).

• Like 1

Reality. Reality. Reality.  

If you're so worried about the future ( or lack there of ) why don't you go elesewhere?

If you still continue to enjoy it there then why all the 'noise'?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was one of the attractions of Pattaya for me.  All the different cuisines.  I eat out most nights of the week. I do hope choice and variety remains available here.  

It's still there if you know where to go.

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

If you're so worried about the future ( or lack there of ) why don't you go elesewhere?

If you still continue to enjoy it there then why all the 'noise'?

I have my Plan B.  It's Vietnam.  Have posted that before.

Of course I still continue to enjoy it here, otherwise I would already be in Vietnam. 

Closures were happening pre Covid.  Who know what places will be left standing post Covid, but in the future if I can't get a Sunday roast, for example, maybe it will be time for me to leave.  

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

It's still there if you know where to go.

Yes, I know, but will they still be here 6 months from now?  

Just now, Leaver said:

I have my Plan B.  It's Vietnam.  Have posted that before.

Of course I still continue to enjoy it here, otherwise I would already be in Vietnam. 

Closures were happening pre Covid.  Who know what places will be left standing post Covid, but in the future if I can't get a Sunday roast, for example, maybe it will be time for me to leave.  

You'll always be able to get a Sunday roast in Pattaya, there's not shortages of the 'British pubs' that do this, they're in abundance ( and still doing well ).

Just now, Leaver said:

You'll always be able to get your Sunday roast at Tropical on the Darkside. Good spread.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Leaver said:

But the closures have stopped now.   🤣

Main reason was that they were badly run and expensive. My gym consists of a gym, 2 steam rooms, 2 saunas, 2 plunge pools 2 jacuzzis, a 20m pool and a restaurant. Also supplies limitless iced water and bowls of lentil soup. 300 baht/week membership. Tonys, I wouldn't send my dog there.

• Like 2