Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

If Leaver can't name any of his "favourite bars" (not any random bars he keeps posting) that are no longer open since last 3 years since starting thread, maybe this thread is done?

Just named two favorites that closed in another post. 

According to you, no one, from anywhere, at any time, has had one of their favorite bars or restaurants closed down, since this thread started.  ????

Edited by Leaver

29 minutes ago, kinyara said:

There are still plenty of business owners who have confidence in Pattaya's long term future.

Interesting way of viewing the situation here.

If Pattaya's hospitality industry was listed on the stock exchange, would you be buying shares in it, dumping your shares, or sitting back and monitoring? 

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Interesting way of viewing the situation here.

If Pattaya's hospitality industry was listed on the stock exchange, would you be buying shares in it, dumping your shares, or sitting back and monitoring? 

It's never been a sector that has interested me share investing wise anywhere in the world, I'm happier to sit back, relax and enjoy their offering as a customer. 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

So a two new MRT stations in Bangkok is keeping up with the competition.  Seriously?

When will it lead to "the linking of Don Muang, Suvarnabunmi and U-Tapao airports?"  They have only had decades.

Whilst a little off topic, it's on topic in the fact that Thailand's competition is building it bigger and better, while Thailand continues to do nothing.

Thai authorities think the saying "Build it and they will come" isn't applicable to Thailand.  They believe "Thailand is Thailand, they will just keep coming anyway." 

Dirty beaches and ocean water, failing infrastructure, higher prices for F & B, lack of safety, and the same old Thai scams will find it hard to compete into the future, thus, more closures ahead. 

4 years on the airport linking project which I don't think is too bad for a major rail infrastructure project. For example Vietnam has been working on its first ever metro line in Saigon since 2012 and it's still over a year from completion. 

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, it has, and your point is?

Pretty obvious to most people as your favourite bar Retox closes during covid shutdown, Hemmingways spends lots on doing up the place and re-opens with similar concept of great food and sports...

Why in your mind is this a bad thing as same place is maybe better now than before?

Edited by aussiexpat

On 9/17/2022 at 4:01 PM, kinyara said:

It's never been a sector that has interested me share investing wise anywhere in the world, I'm happier to sit back, relax and enjoy their offering as a customer. 

It's a hypothetical question.

If all the bars and restaurants in Pattaya were all part of one large company, and that company was listed on the stock exchange, would you invest it? 

Would you see shares in that company rising in the short to medium term, declining, or holding steady? 

The reason I ask is because you said. "There are still plenty of business owners who have confidence in Pattaya's long term future." so I thought I would ask you if you have the same confidence as they do?  Not to buy an individual bar / restaurant, but in hospitality in general, across Pattaya.

Basically, would you put your money where your keyboard is?

We all know there has been a lot of new builds, some renovations, and some relocations taking place.  Does that mean they will still be here next year?  Have they over capitalized?  When will tourism return to levels that can make their business viable? 

On 9/17/2022 at 4:07 PM, kinyara said:

4 years on the airport linking project which I don't think is too bad for a major rail infrastructure project. For example Vietnam has been working on its first ever metro line in Saigon since 2012 and it's still over a year from completion. 

I have never suggested Vietnam is ahead of Thailand. 

I am suggesting that Vietnam is catching up so quick, that in the future it will overtake Thailand in relation to tourism infrastructure. 

They are building it bigger and better, with one example of a world record breaking construction, and are still coming in at a cheaper price point to Thailand. 

You mention a couple of MRT stations, what about the tourist beach areas? 

23 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's a hypothetical question.

If all the bars and restaurants in Pattaya were all part of one large company, and that company was listed on the stock exchange, would you invest it? 

Would you see shares in that company rising in the short to medium term, declining, or holding steady? 

The reason I ask is because you said. "There are still plenty of business owners who have confidence in Pattaya's long term future." so I thought I would ask you if you have the same confidence as they do?  Not to buy an individual bar / restaurant, but in hospitality in general, across Pattaya.

Basically, would you put your money where your keyboard is?

We all know there has been a lot of new builds, some renovations, and some relocations taking place.  Does that mean they will still be here next year?  Have they over capitalized?  When will tourism return to levels that can make their business viable? 

I "invest" my money in my favourite bars/restaurants across the counter and receive an instant dividend in return, that's where my interest in their financial affairs ends. I like to think if they are smart enough to provide me with a good service then they know what they are doing on the financial side of their business, none have failed in the last 3 years which speaks volumes to me. That's not hypothetical that's reality. As tourism continues to recover I can only see their businesses continuing to recover in tandem.

23 hours ago, Leaver said:

I have never suggested Vietnam is ahead of Thailand. 

I am suggesting that Vietnam is catching up so quick, that in the future it will overtake Thailand in relation to tourism infrastructure. 

They are building it bigger and better, with one example of a world record breaking construction, and are still coming in at a cheaper price point to Thailand. 

You mention a couple of MRT stations, what about the tourist beach areas? 

What about the tourist beach areas of Pattaya/Jomtien ? What exactly is it that you think needs to be built to move it further up from top 20 in the world. What do you feel would benefit this city from a tourist standpoint, what are they crying out for ? They've expanded both beaches to host major events for tourists, a great move as far as I'm concerned, and they are in the process of further enhancing the transport network to the city as part of the EEC, ( Eastern Economic Corridor ), plan. Large global corporations seem to have enough confidence to invest here, see my post above re Sony Pictures, so I'm not really seeing what the problem is. NewNative gave you a good rundown of new ventures that have sprung up in the last few years and Big Stars photo of new vs old is a great visual snapshot of the transformation that has happened over the last 30-40 years.

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

I "invest" my money in my favourite bars/restaurants across the counter and receive an instant dividend in return, that's where my interest in their financial affairs ends. I like to think if they are smart enough to provide me with a good service then they know what they are doing on the financial side of their business, none have failed in the last 3 years which speaks volumes to me. That's not hypothetical that's reality. As tourism continues to recover I can only see their businesses continuing to recover in tandem.

A purchase of a product or service is not an investment.

You haven't answered my simple question.  Why is that? 

Could it be you don't see the hospitality industry here, as a whole, as a good investment? 

What about the tourist beach areas of Pattaya/Jomtien ? What exactly is it that you think needs to be built to move it further up from top 20 in the world. What do you feel would benefit this city from a tourist standpoint, what are they crying out for ?

To mention just a few, apart from the obvious things like decent sidewalks, and flood mitigation, I would think a rail line from Bangkok to Pattaya should have already been built, or better still, an airport nearby, but no, every day thousands of individual cars, carrying only one passenger, leaves Bangkok airport for Pattaya. 

Even nice coach buses leaving Bangkok airport every 30 minutes would be something, but no.

How about redirecting the sewage and cleaning up the ocean water?

What about some decent high speed ferry boats to Koh Larn.  Don't you think they are overdue? 

None of the above have changed in decades, but the point I am making is, do you see any of the above changing decades into the future?

Large global corporations seem to have enough confidence to invest here, see my post above re Sony Pictures, so I'm not really seeing what the problem is.

Again, what government infrastructure is there? 

What major tourism infrastructure projects are Bangkok putting their hands in their pockets and paying for?

NewNative gave you a good rundown of new ventures that have sprung up in the last few years and Big Stars photo of new vs old is a great visual snapshot of the transformation that has happened over the last 30-40 years.

Once again, what government infrastructure projects that benefit the tourism industry, and tourists, has there been in recent time? 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Leaver said:

To mention just a few, apart from the obvious things like decent sidewalks, and flood mitigation, I would think a rail line from Bangkok to Pattaya should have already been built, or better still, an airport nearby, but no, every day thousands of individual cars, carrying only one passenger, leaves Bangkok airport for Pattaya. 

Even nice coach buses leaving Bangkok airport every 30 minutes would be something, but no.

How about redirecting the sewage and cleaning up the ocean water?

What about some decent high speed ferry boats to Koh Larn.  Don't you think they are overdue? 

None of the above have changed in decades, but the point I am making is, do you see any of the above changing decades into the future?

Again, what government infrastructure is there? 

What major tourism infrastructure projects are Bangkok putting their hands in their pockets and paying for?

Once again, what government infrastructure projects that benefit the tourism industry, and tourists, has there been in recent time? 

You mean other than the massive EEC multi billion baht infrastructure plan that is in progress enhancing the rail transport link from Bangkok to Pattaya, expanding and upgrading U-Tapao to offer a more direct air connection for more people ?  Once again what else do tourists really need ? I don't see the current mode of transport from Bangkok to Pattaya as being particularly different to any other major capital city in the world, I think it's pretty good personally and the building of Suvarnabunmi was a great boon to Pattaya compared to the old days of Don Muang. 

I wonder if tourists really go home and say they are not coming back to Pattaya because of the pavements. It doesn't tend to flood in high season, from what I've seen over the year we barely get half a dozen days when it makes the news and it drains off in a couple of hours, I doubt many tourists probably experience a flash flood here just us that live here.

Edited by kinyara
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Leaver said:

A purchase of a product or service is not an investment.

You haven't answered my simple question.  Why is that? 

Could it be you don't see the hospitality industry here, as a whole, as a good investment? 

I actually do see it as an investment, without my money and similar like minded customers the business would cease to exist. I don't ask the owner if I can check his books to see what sort of return he's making, Some businesses do well, some do badly and go bust, the key point for me is Pattaya attracts millions of customers, so offer a good product/service that people want and you every chance of doing well. I think it's a good investment if you know what you are doing, same as anywhere in the world.

17 hours ago, kinyara said:

I doubt many tourists probably experience a flash flood here just us that live here.

Any tourist in town this last couple of weeks would have been stretched to avoid one.....

Us that live here know better.

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Any tourist in town this last couple of weeks would have been stretched to avoid one.....

Us that live here know better.

I find staying indoors when it is raining heavily a good policy to avoid one. For tourists in central Pattaya unlucky enough to be caught out I'd recommend jumping on a baht bus or crossing the beach road to Central or T21 for a nice meal, a couple of hours max if that and it drains away. The earlier part of my post which you didn't quote referred to high season when the majority of tourists are here, surely people know it's peak rainy season now and you do run the risk of a temporary flash flood albeit irregularly.

1 minute ago, kinyara said:

I find staying indoors when it is raining heavily a good policy to avoid one. For tourists in central Pattaya unlucky enough to be caught out I'd recommend jumping on a baht bus or crossing the beach road to Central or T21 for a nice meal, a couple of hours max if that and it drains away. The earlier part of my post which you didn't quote referred to high season when the majority of tourists are here, surely people know it's peak rainy season now and you do run the risk of a temporary flash flood albeit irregularly.

A few pals got stuck in the new Bua-khao nightclub some days back, and that place was becoming a paddling pool. I have been stuck in GGBs myself by the weather.... 

Quite a lot of tourists still come here, even in rainy season, Australians as an example. This year, the rain we have had in Pattaya has been heavy, Bangkok worse I believe. It does seem to drain better these days..... been a long time since I was trapped on higher ground waiting to head home. 

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A few pals got stuck in the new Bua-khao nightclub some days back, and that place was becoming a paddling pool. I have been stuck in GGBs myself by the weather.... 

Quite a lot of tourists still come here, even in rainy season, Australians as an example. This year, the rain we have had in Pattaya has been heavy, Bangkok worse I believe. It does seem to drain better these days..... been a long time since I was trapped on higher ground waiting to head home. 

Being stuck in a go-go bar is the stuff of dreams for many not fortunate enough to be in Pattaya. ????

2 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Being stuck in a go-go bar is the stuff of dreams for many not fortunate enough to be in Pattaya. ????

One place I was in went native.... Thai music, volume up several notches, staff partying among themselves, couldn't get served and pretty much ignored... not quite the dream you might expect.  

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

One place I was in went native.... Thai music, volume up several notches, staff partying among themselves, couldn't get served and pretty much ignored... not quite the dream you might expect.  

One of the advantages of a farang manager, that wouldn't of happened

• Like 2