Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Change? .... around Soi 7 & 8 ?

Sure, as with all other areas, a few closings and a few openings.

But change?

Yeah, places closing and opening is called change. Not staying the same is it? Half the number of GGBs now. Loss of Pig and Whistle and Tequila Reef are changes!

Edited by jacko45k

21 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

No, I posted it, if you did not notice.

But one bar does not maketh a Soi.

No, you posted, "This is crazy."  The rest of your post was quoted from another source, and not authored by you.

So, did you miss the part in your quote about the bar being given away FOR FREE?

It's not just one establishment on that Soi.  There's been a couple of big and long term places close recently.  Now, there's one that can't even be given away. 

Are you telling me the rest of the Soi is doing well? 

Edited by Leaver

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

One relocated to a better part of town for the customers he wanted.

The other closed due to the death of its owner.

It hardly means Soi 7 & 8 are changing.

Yet, both buildings remain closed.

If it's such a thriving Soi, in a thriving local economy, how come they haven't been snapped up? 

There's even a full functional bar, with all fixtures and fittings included, and staff in place, being given away, which you posted, and no one wants it.

Edited by Leaver

14 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

One relocated to a better part of town for the customers he wanted.

The other closed due to the death of its owner.

It hardly means Soi 7 & 8 are changing.

So one moved because the customer base was changing? 

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think you will see a lot of changes after this very low high season.

I had reason to be in town yesterday... something to do in South Jomtien and then a shop near Pattaya Nua to visit. Surprised that the roads between were relatively light traffic wise, big coaches in and out of Jomtien was most of it. I usually expect a lull after New Year but this looked quiet. Be even worse when the water runs out!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I had reason to be in town yesterday... something to do in South Jomtien and then a shop near Pattaya Nua to visit. Surprised that the roads between were relatively light traffic wise, big coaches in and out of Jomtien was most of it. I usually expect a lull after New Year but this looked quiet. Be even worse when the water runs out!

Light? ....<deleted>.

With the roadworks now back in full swing, it was chaos on Beach, Second and Third Roads.

So much so, they made Pattaya Klang one way in the afternoon.

13 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Light? ....<deleted>.

With the roadworks now back in full swing, it was chaos on Beach, Second and Third Roads.

So much so, they made Pattaya Klang one way in the afternoon.

I went all the way down second Rd to Klang, no road works. Klang was going both ways in the afternoon. (Turned right at 2nd, and left at 3rd) So I have no idea what you are talking of.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I went all the way down second Rd to Klang, no road works. Klang was going both ways in the afternoon. (Turned right at 2nd, and left at 3rd) So I have no idea what you are talking of.

Klang was chaotic yesterday at 13.00

So much that I had call my Dr.

appointment and delay 15 min. There was cable burying work going on height TOT intersection.

Overall it is mainly 100s of busses during certain hours clogging up roads. 

No doubt this will be a bad season western-wise. I have many business friends TH and Westerners and most talk about another 30 to 40% drop. 1 guy tells me even longtime customers now go for money saving options. Just look at the 1000s of empty and falling apart shop houses allover town. MS>

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Klang was chaotic yesterday at 13.00

It appears they have recommenced the works with a vengeance. I was very lucky to be ahead of it  (I presume) on Tuesday. 

13 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Just look at the 1000s of empty and falling apart shop houses allover town.

That is the Pattaya as I know it...????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Just look at the 1000s of empty and falling apart shop houses allover town.

With the big drop in western clientele, some businesses might downsize into some of these falling apart shop houses, because they are cheaper to rent.

The larger, well established businesses, paying big baht every month in rent, may not be able to stay in the premises that they have been renting, and may be forced to move. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Well, certainly the last 30+ years I have been here..

Well then, if that's the case, why aren't commercial rents cheaper, which is passed onto the consumer through the goods and services offered by the business, thus making Pattaya competitive with neighboring countries for the same goods and services?

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

Well then, if that's the case, why aren't commercial rents cheaper, which is passed onto the consumer through the goods and services offered by the business, thus making Pattaya competitive with neighboring countries for the same goods and services?

Not a clue what you are on about now.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Leaver said:

Cannot do that...it,s too simple....Thai business sense will not allow  :clap2:

2 hours ago, petermik said:

would have to agree. i dont think pass on the savings to consumers works in thailand. business is too primitive/graspy here to understand the concept.

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Not a clue what you are on about now.

Supply and demand.

Usually, but not in Thailand, an oversupply causes prices to go down, however, in Thailand, and in particular, the tourists hot spots, prices are kept artificially high, because the rich can afford to hold out, and keep face. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petermik said:

Correct.

This is why greedy Thai landlords have had a big influence on pricing Thailand out of the South East Asian tourism market.  They are a big factor in Thailand losing its competitiveness. 

Sure, there are other factors invloved, such as the strong baht, but these Thai landlords have finally pushed the tourism market past breaking point. 

The problem for those left here now is, as these landlords have more and more vacant premises, they will put the rent up on those still here.  

1 hour ago, fhickson said:

would have to agree. i dont think pass on the savings to consumers works in thailand. business is too primitive/graspy here to understand the concept.

I disagree.

It's common knowledge that if you can get a run down premises for cheap rent, and a very long lease, then you do it up, you can effectively undercut your competition, and still make money.  Eg. Hungry Hippo and the like. 

A lot of people think that farang bar owners are the ones making all the money, at 90 or 100 baht a beer.  Not true in many cases, it's the Thai landlord making most out of that 100 baht sale, and fo doing nothing. 

As said in an earlier post, they are either too greedy, or too stupid, to make their rent at a price that meets the market, and when I say market, not only do I mean business owners, but also the consumers. (tourists) 

As it is now, you have business owners paying high rents, which is passed onto the consumer, and the product, food & beverage, is not at a competive price to neighboring countries.

Once example is a Tiger beer.  Cheapest price around Central Pattaya would be around 60 baht, and it wouldn't be a nice bar.  Yes, you mind find it for 55 baht here and there. 

However, a Tiger beer in Vietnam is around 25 baht, and that is in a nice air conditioned bar with "hostesses."  About 8 baht for a handle of draft beer in a beer hoi.

Yes, the strong baht etc etc, but Thai landlords have created a false economy in the value of rents here, and the market is no long prepared to pay.   

6 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Irish Wolfhound in Pratamnak has put the For Sale sign up.

There are many For Sale signs up, and I doubt many of them will sell.

The important date is when the lease is up, because without a buyer, and as you posted, you can't even give away a bar here now, that's closure day.

51 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Supply and demand.

Usually, but not in Thailand, an oversupply causes prices to go down, however, in Thailand, and in particular, the tourists hot spots, prices are kept artificially high, because the rich can afford to hold out, and keep face. 

Sorry, I only comment on things and facts that I see while staying here.

Not interested in, shoulds and coulds, as normally its just a bunch of wishful thinking.