Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

5 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Sorry, I only comment on things and facts that I see while staying here.

Not interested in, shoulds and coulds, as normally its just a bunch of wishful thinking.

It's practically a cultural thing.  

This current generation of Thai's will preside over the the decimation of their tourism industry.  

One day, they will have to explain to their grand children how they managed to mess it all up.    

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Not sure why the "LOL."  I obviously wasn't including 7/11's and Family Marts.

Have you ever been to Vietnam?

50 baht for a small Tiger in most of the bars on the New Plaza......:thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, petermik said:

50 baht for a small Tiger in most of the bars on the New Plaza......:thumbsup:

So, double the price of Vietnam, in a non A/C, old run down place.  That's my point. Thailand can no longer compete. 

The question I raise is, and granted, it's not so relevant to New Plaza, aka, Cheap Charlie Plaza, how much of a roll do Thai landlords play in outpricing Thailand in the region for tourists?  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 12:46 AM, Ron jeremy said:

My nephew from Australia spent 2 weeks in Bangkok, he was also shocked at the prices, won't be back. 

Of course. If 1 "hard-currency" unit only fetches 22 THB, every country must appear "expensive".

On 10/13/2019 at 9:33 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

If 50% closed We would NOT be losing a variety of choice. I repeat that the lazy formula of footie and hand sup music is NO CHOICE at all. Most Pattaya bars are undifferentiated,  mediocre,  lazy badly run, cliches. A sad reflection of their clientele. I can think of less than 10 well designed bars in Pattaya.....As for irish theme pubs! Just dreadful...a hangover from 70s Britain. And the constant drivel of black 'dance' music from the MTV charts have no place in a bar. Any bar that closes deserves to close for pandering to the lowest common denominator of entertainment......and driving out discerning customers with money. I view the closure of <deleted> bars as a protest and boycott which is finally beginning to bite. Some idiot bar owners think they must must let the bar girls dictate music policy to keep them happy!! <deleted>!

And throw the exchange rate and London pub prices charged there you go

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Not sure why the "LOL."  I obviously wasn't including 7/11's and Family Marts.

Have you ever been to Vietnam?

I have and do,3 bottled of beer £1 in hotel happy hour,£1 for 2 when the happy hour ends and we adjourn to a bar round the corner where the happy hours just starting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingdong said:

I have and do,3 bottled of beer £1 in hotel happy hour,£1 for 2 when the happy hour ends and we adjourn to a bar round the corner where the happy hours just starting.

I've heard it's a very popular backpacker place that must be one of the main attractions

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kingdong said:

I aspire to chasing happy hours around town to get drunk... then when I get hungry, it's balloon chasing time!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I aspire to chasing happy hours around town to get drunk... then when I get hungry, it's balloon chasing time!

It's that cheap over there, even Cheap Charlies don't have to chase happy hours. 

It's 25 baht a beer in a nice air conditioned place, but if you are broke, it's 8 baht for a handle of draft beer in a beer hoi.  Occasionally I go to these just for the atmosphere.  It's good fun.  All the locals want you to joint them at their table or a constantly coming over and clinking their glasses with you or offering you to try some of the food.     

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It's that cheap over there, even Cheap Charlies don't have to chase happy hours. 

It's 25 baht a beer in a nice air conditioned place, but if you are broke, it's 8 baht for a handle of draft beer in a beer hoi.  Occasionally I go to these just for the atmosphere.  It's good fun.  All the locals want you to joint them at their table or a constantly coming over and clinking their glasses with you or offering you to try some of the food.     

Sounds like a real hoot! Guess your a fun loving guy tho!

21 hours ago, Leaver said:

Not when F & B and accommodation in a country is a third of the price of Thailand.

Long time since I've been to Vietnam, beer was very cheap but don't remember the accomm being the same.

Which towns/resorts/places in particular are you referring to.? Is it not too overrun with Russians and Chinese?

On 1/15/2020 at 6:34 PM, rott said:

Long time since I've been to Vietnam, beer was very cheap but don't remember the accomm being the same.

Which towns/resorts/places in particular are you referring to.? Is it not too overrun with Russians and Chinese?

I gave several like for like comparisons in another post. 

The Hilton Hotel in Thailand to The Hilton Hotel in Vietnam.  Although, I accepted this was not a great comparison. 

The Big Mac Index, that was ridiculed. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

A Tiger beer in Pattaya, even at a Cheap Charlie place for 55 baht, compared to a Tiger beer in Vietnam in an air conditioned venue being 25 baht.

A packet of cigarettes.

A liter of gasoline. 

All of the above considerably cheaper, for the exact same product, possibly for the exception of The Hilton Hotels, but the standards would certainly be comparable. 

With accommodation in Vietnam, because their tourism industry is in overdrive, there is such a huge range of accommodation there now, from everything from hostels to 5 start resorts.  As mentioned, it's difficult to compare accommodation between to countries / cities, but in my opinion, accommodation is also considerably cheaper in Vietnam, when compared to Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Announced today, that Walking Street will be getting dug up for drainage and cable burying work, starting around June/July time.

Would not be surprised if some just close up shop for Low Season.

I have images of drunks tumbling into trenches at 4am, or a tourist and a ladyboy grappling over the wallet it just picked tumbling in. That's it then, shut up shop and move it all The Avenue. 

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have images of drunks tumbling into trenches at 4am, or a tourist and a ladyboy grappling over the wallet it just picked tumbling in. That's it then, shut up shop and move it all The Avenue. 

And tourist electrocutions.