Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

12 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Has been taken over by Nick Dean, and remains open.

I don't know the bar or any back story of the owners so can you tell me where it is and if it was such a great business why they were giving it up?

As we approach the end of what has traditionally been the busiest month of the year for my local/favourite bar, I would have to say even though I wouldn't expect it to close it's pretty clear the post Xmas surge in customers of times gone by just hasn't happened for it this year. I'm interested in the  situation of a nearby restaurant which is mid to higher end and is more heavily reliant on its high season business, from what I see there it's a more obvious downturn in seasonal business and with its overheads that would be one establishment I wouldn't be surprised to see up for sale at some stage this year. If it does I will confirm which one I am referring to. 

3 minutes ago, kinyara said:

As we approach the end of what has traditionally been the busiest month of the year for my local/favourite bar, I would have to say even though I wouldn't expect it to close it's pretty clear the post Xmas surge in customers of times gone by just hasn't happened for it this year. I'm interested in the  situation of a nearby restaurant which is mid to higher end and is more heavily reliant on its high season business, from what I see there it's a more obvious downturn in seasonal business and with its overheads that would be one establishment I wouldn't be surprised to see up for sale at some stage this year. If it does I will confirm which one I am referring to. 

Yet in the area I am at, I would say the Post High Season has been very good.

Certainly a lot lot busier than it was before the Xmas NY now.

3 hours ago, kinyara said:

The peak season, around Christmas and New year,  was comparable.  It's the traditional high season that surrounds the peak season that, in my opinion, the western tourists are way down. 

There is still 3 months left of this high season, but already I have seen the western numbers flatten out.  

Many places used takings in high season to get them through the low season.  I don't think those takings will be there is high season, and I think we can expect to see some For Sale signs, closures, or downsizing. 

I don't know if your nearby restaurant will survive.  Only time will tell.  In the past, it was common to little bars, run by dreamers and their hooker girlfriends, be turned over, but now we are seeing well established businesses that have been around for years also closing down.  

Unlike other temporary downturns, like bird flu etc, this one is here to stay for the foreseeable future.    

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Leaver said:

In the past, it was common to little bars, run by dreamers and their hooker girlfriends, be turned over, but now we are seeing well established businesses that have been around for years also closing down.   

Is that not just natural?

Tell you, for every business that closes down, I could mention one that has opened since.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1

I have not been down Soi Honey for a while.  The last stroll I took down Soi Honey The Queen Vic was gutted and they were putting what appeared to be some type of wooden door or window frame on the front.  

Has anyone been down this Soi lately?  What's the current situation with the old Queen Vic and the Yogi Bear Bar, which also closed down? 

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

I have not been down Soi Honey for a while.  The last stroll I took down Soi Honey The Queen Vic was gutted and they were putting what appeared to be some type of wooden door or window frame on the front.  

Has anyone been down this Soi lately?  What's the current situation with the old Queen Vic and the Yogi Bear Bar, which also closed down? 

Queen Vic still being gutted...Yogi bar up 4 sale....new bar opened up 2/3 months ago nearer to soi Buk charging 80+ baht for a small beer and 1000 baht barfines....good luck with that one :whistling:

8 hours ago, petermik said:

Queen Vic still being gutted...Yogi bar up 4 sale....new bar opened up 2/3 months ago nearer to soi Buk charging 80+ baht for a small beer and 1000 baht barfines....good luck with that one :whistling:

Maybe a some bars will start offering 2 for 1 bar fines in the future.  ????

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Soi 7 may have been "banging" over Christmas and NYE, but look how quiet the beach was during his video, and it's high season.  He probably should have filmed elsewhere.  

If the ad posted here was correct, he hasn't bought the bar, he has just bought the bar's expenses, and possibly its debt/s. 

I wish him all the best, and I am happy for the staff, and look forward to checking out his renovations.   However, in the past, smaller bars would benefit from a large successful bar on a soi, but these days, that large successful bar can cause the closure of the other smaller bars on the soi. 

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

Soi 7 may have been "banging" over Christmas and NYE, but look how quiet the beach was during his video, and it's high season.  He probably should have filmed elsewhere.  

Are you actually aware of what Pattaya Beach looks like nowadays?

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Are you actually aware of what Pattaya Beach looks like nowadays?

Yes, I am.  Do you think his clip was aimed at tourists, or expats?  If tourists, wouldn't that empty beach surprise a prospective tourist. even if they have been here before? 

He was talking his bars up, and talking Pattaya up, with how Soi 7 was "banging" during the peak season, whilst filming on a deserted beach, only meters away from Soi 7 and his bar, and only 3 weeks after New years Eve. 

To be fair, he did show the construction, but I would have thought a promotional video would have been filmed showing more tourists having a good time. 

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I can only imagine what the whingers would be saying if that beach was ever packed.

Not whinging.  Just saying, a deserted beach is not what inspires tourism in a promotional video for one's bar here. 

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

It's a negative whinging thread.

You could have started a thread about recent closings and openings, but you prefer to to concentrate on the negative.

It's not a whinging thread. 

You have even posted about a bar being "given away for free."  So give me some positives about that economic situation here then.

Serious question.  Give some positive economic indicators for the local, provincial, or national economy.   

On 1/23/2020 at 2:58 PM, jacko45k said:

All seemed to be doing pretty good around soi Buakhao last night. Hungry Hippo no spaces, traffic insane!

No doubt Hungry Hippo and the like will be busy.  The same with the 2 for 1 bars. 

It will be interesting to see who they eventually put out of business. 

• Like 1