Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

4 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Sorry, what do you expect to happen in the next 6 to 12 months?

A significant increase in For Sale signs, pending closure.  Also, a significant increase in actually closures.  Also, some possible relocating and downsizing. 

Many of these closures will be the favorite, or often frequented, establishments of many here.  

I know you will say that for every closure is an opening, and in the past, there's some truth to that, but in my opinion, you will not see that this time around. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 3:00 AM, fhickson said:

most of the money is made on drinks which are about 40 baht

i like ordering the meal without a drink, then just buying a beer at the 7-11 afterwards.

bakery down the street also has 10 baht pastries after 5 pm.

Living the dream or just trolling.?

25 minutes ago, rott said:

Living the dream or just trolling.?

It's not a troll post.

A lot of guys go to Hungry Hippo, Cheap Charlies etc and just order food.  They practically give food away at their prices. 

They hope to make a small margin from the customer on the fact most people buy a drink with their meal, but many tight customers don't, leaving these types of restaurants with next to nothing from those type of customers.  

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

No doubt Hungry Hippo and the like will be busy.  The same with the 2 for 1 bars. 

It will be interesting to see who they eventually put out of business. 

I always feel the places like Katesiree will do that, somewhat cheaper than the 2 for 1 (pseudo) bars.

Dull though. 

Ended up in the Burger place that used to be the Butchers Arms

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

A lot of guys go to Hungry Hippo, Cheap Charlies etc and just order food

The beer was quite cheap in HH if I recall. I had a pal who similarly ate the meal dry then popped into the 7-11 for a bottle of water. Sad <deleted>.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I am sure this has been talked about on here before but I just learned Pattaya Meals are out of business...Does any one know if this is temporary or permanent...

I really liked their food.....

I thought they were a delivery service for restaurants.

Seems they closed a while ago.  Bit of a rant on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/PattayaMeals/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

I thought they were a delivery service for restaurants.

Seems they closed a while ago.  Bit of a rant on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/PattayaMeals/

This is what I always ordered....I really wonder who in Pattaya was making this for them? It was great....

image.jpeg.083038f0fe73a165d53e95826256d88a.jpeg

The Excessive Burger

You won’t find this burger in our healthy section! Recommended for those who are extremely hungry. This burger is loaded with Bacon, Egg, Cheddar Cheese, Avocado, Onion rings and Pineapple on top, with the standard lettuce, tomato, onion, and a bit of mayonnaise underneath the patty. IT also comes with a sweet pickle, potato wedges and more onion rings on the side.

Total – 275 Baht
Edited by fforest1

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

This is what I always ordered....I really wonder who in Pattaya was making this for them? It was great....

image.jpeg.083038f0fe73a165d53e95826256d88a.jpeg

The Excessive Burger

You won’t find this burger in our healthy section! Recommended for those who are extremely hungry. This burger is loaded with Bacon, Egg, Cheddar Cheese, Avocado, Onion rings and Pineapple on top, with the standard lettuce, tomato, onion, and a bit of mayonnaise underneath the patty. IT also comes with a sweet pickle, potato wedges and more onion rings on the side.

Total – 275 Baht

i have never ordered from them. or been to their address.

I don't know if they cooked and delivered, or delivered for a third party.

in any case, another hospitality business closure here.   

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They had a kitchen but no restaurant. 

Ok, so, low overheads.  I see on their FB page some issues with a buyer / manager.  Obviously scammed them, or was was being scammed, or was incompetent and sent the business broke. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

i have never ordered from them. or been to their address.

I don't know if they cooked and delivered, or delivered for a third party.

in any case, another hospitality business closure here.   

Very surprised you're not an expert on home delivery services. 

• Haha 2

On 1/26/2020 at 3:58 PM, kinyara said:

Very surprised you're not an expert on home delivery services. 

In general, breakfast and lunch I eat in, depending on whether it's a training day or not, but eat out most nights of the week, but I get the sarcasm in your post. 

I have never used these food delivery services, but I spoke to a restaurant owner recently and he told me Food Panda leave him very little margin.  I'm not sure how they work, for him to lose money on them delivering to a customer.  Maybe a member could enlighten me. 

Are these food delivery services so popular that they could be impacting on the profits of restaurants?

• Haha 1

And the new openings just keep on coming ..

Opening soon on soi Lengkee, The Grill Steaks & Ribs, run by the former owner of Smokin Joe's and Steak & Co.

A double-fronted unit, with The Grill downstairs more of a budget eatery than Ian's former steakhouse. Upstairs the Hungry Panda, mostly deliveries via Grab etc. A garden terrace area upstairs as well. The deliveries hopefully running from late Feb, the main restaurant sometime in March. All food prepared on the third floor, a 'dumb waiter' system installed.

Western style Chinese food, steaks and ribs together with other international dishes, most in the 300-400 baht range (except steaks). Charcoal grilled skewers and various meats from the new charcoal oven (pic), a new 250,000 BTU double wok burner coming too. Photos show the conversion is well under way...

https://www.facebook.com/TheGrillPattaya/

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

And the new openings just keep on coming ..

What business was previously operating at the location?

1 closure + 1 opening = Zero net gain in businesses.  This is better than a loss, maintaining some variety and choice here. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

What business was previously operating at the location?

1 closure + 1 opening = Zero net gain in businesses.  This is better than a loss, maintaining some variety and choice here. 

I was thinking to have a night out with a change, a  nostalgic one in the soi 7 and 8 area. Then i got to thinking, used to be 5 GGBs to choose from, now there are 2..... a dwindling resource. I doubt the area could keep me entertained.

56 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I was thinking to have a night out with a change, a  nostalgic one in the soi 7 and 8 area. Then i got to thinking, used to be 5 GGBs to choose from, now there are 2..... a dwindling resource. I doubt the area could keep me entertained.

One of the gogo bars is the one where the Irish guy was beaten unconscious recently.  Silver Star or something like that, from memory.  What's the other one?

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

One of the gogo bars is the one where the Irish guy was beaten unconscious recently.  Silver Star or something like that, from memory.  What's the other one?

Correct, the other is in Soi 8, Sexy Girls A Go-Go...

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Correct, the other is in Soi 8, Sexy Girls A Go-Go...

I remember the times when all those brick bars under the tin roofs were jammed.  Now, they are dead for a high season, and that's pre virus.   

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I remember the times when all those brick bars under the tin roofs were jammed.  Now, they are dead for a high season, and that's pre virus.   

Yes, a good area, once. I tried a beer bar there a spell back, beer not particularly cheap .. and when I was pressed to buy a LD I balked at the price, nearly the same as a WS GGB! I declined and was then ignored. A far cry from times of old and the promise it seemed when they dragged me in off the street. 

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, a good area, once. I tried a beer bar there a spell back, beer not particularly cheap .. and when I was pressed to buy a LD I balked at the price, nearly the same as a WS GGB! I declined and was then ignored. A far cry from times of old and the promise it seemed when they dragged me in off the street. 

As said before, most likely a case of greedy Thai landlords pushing the rents up so high over time that the consumers are no longer prepared to pay the prices the bar have to charge, just to remain viable. 

These bars have no a/c, have terrible music, are dusty, get the street traffic noise, have no toilet, have to charge the same as nice places.  All they may have is the odd pretty girl, and then they want a 1000 baht bar fine.  

The rents charged for these basic bars are ridiculous, and the landlords have finally pushed the market over breaking point.

It's just not working anymore, and whilst the strong baht may play a role, to a degree, it's not the only issue killing these once popular complexes. 

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

These bars have no a/c, have terrible music, are dusty, get the street traffic noise, have no toilet, have to charge the same as nice places.  All they may have is the odd pretty girl, and then they want a 1000 baht bar fine.  

If you do pay up for a LD you often have 3 ft of wood between you, the bar! Might as well be in an overpriced GGB, with AC and 'entertainment'.... and a bog!

Edited by jacko45k