Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Yet, you have ridiculed my OP title, and my posts, and personally attacked me, but, I hold no malice.

Contrary to belief, I am not a dooms day poster.  I know what I see, and I know who I speak to. 

They laughed at the guys that predicted the GFC.

We could very well be looking at the Pattaya Financial Crisis, more now so with the virus.

What big domino would have to fall for people to take notice?

I am referring to one group in particular and always felt their business model and self promotion was questionable particularly in relation to The Robin Hood when they had it. For the size of  Game On I would expect them to have to do steady trade outside of the predictable big sports nights and whenever I've gone in the place has without exception been dead. I always wondered what all the hype was about since day one but of course it was mainly their own hype and serves a very successful purpose when you're in the game of flipping bars. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Why has their confidence in their winning formula that no other bars could offer and expansion plans evaporated in the last 12 months?

Pattaya / Thailand outpricing itself in the region as a tourist destination, plus, unfavorable visa law changes, particularly for snowbirds, and an ageing expat population. 

Then, you can add the strong baht, high taxes on any product desired by farang, unstable government, crumbling infrastructure, scams, corruption, etc. 

Pattaya was always heading to the destination that it will soon be arriving at, and this has nothing to do with the virus. 

Google Costa del Sol. 

17 minutes ago, kinyara said:

I am referring to one group in particular and always felt their business model and self promotion was questionable particularly in relation to The Robin Hood when they had it. For the size of  Game On I would expect them to have to do steady trade outside of the predictable big sports nights and whenever I've gone in the place has without exception been dead. I always wondered what all the hype was about since day one but of course it was mainly their own hype and serves a very successful purpose when you're in the game of flipping bars. 

Do you think they will be able to flip this one?

The Retox up the road was a walk away.

In the past, it's been jammed.  Sure, maybe only for the sport, but they catered for all nationalities, by being able to show all sports, so it had a regular and sizeable clientele. 

Yes, it sits on a a lot of square meters, but that also costs a lot of rent every month.  I could only imagine how much the Thai landlord would hike up the rent on the next lease.  Who's willing to play ball with a greedy Thai landlord?  

They run a good operation.  They have friendly and professional staff.  Location is good.  It was a successful operation, and still would be, if not for Thai Governance. 

I have no doubt there will be Retox Cambodia and Retox Vietnam, if they can cash out. 

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Do you think they will be able to flip this one?

The Retox up the road was a walk away.

In the past, it's been jammed.  Sure, maybe only for the sport, but they catered for all nationalities, by being able to show all sports, so it had a regular and sizeable clientele. 

Yes, it sits on a a lot of square meters, but that also costs a lot of rent every month.  I could only imagine how much the Thai landlord would hike up the rent on the next lease.  Who's willing to play ball with a greedy Thai landlord?  

They run a good operation.  They have friendly and professional staff.  Location is good.  It was a successful operation, and still would be, if not for Thai Governance. 

I have no doubt there will be Retox Cambodia and Retox Vietnam, if they can cash out. 

Well I never thought anyone would be gullible enough to take the Robin Hood off their hands, the sale details that I saw advertised  had more holes in it than an Edam cheese in my business opinion. I think someone would be mad to invest 12.5m in a leasehold Pattaya bar in the current climate, but hey it's Pattaya so never say never. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Gamboling has a very corrupting influence

Is it, I shall stop frolicking immediately. I blame Morris dancers, miscreants from the devil!

I actually do not expect gambling to become acceptable in Thailand. 

12 hours ago, kinyara said:

Don't hold your breath lol - Soi 7/8 still waiting. 

Pig and While still closed.

Tequila Reef still closed.

PJ's Bar just given away. 

All the above three establishments were in place for years, and survived other downturns, but not the latest one.

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

????

Hypothetically, if Pattaya's hospitality industry was listed on the Thai stock exchange, would you buy shares in it?  No, I didn't think so, and why, because these shares are falling off a cliff.

So, here's one of the most popular and legitimate bars, doing accommodation and meals also, right in the middle of Central Pattaya, looking to sell ALL of their position (shares) and you take the p*ss out of me because, according to you, the shares are stable, and due to all the new bars that keep opening, according to you, but yet to name any, these hypothetical shares are showing growth.  

You are shooting the messenger, not the message. 

Have a shot at the message and tell me how stable an investment in Pattaya's hospitality industry would be, and explain why one of the bigger players (Retox Game On) want to sell their shares (pub) if the local Pattaya economy is doing so well in the hospitality sector.

Edited by Leaver

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Pig and While still closed.

Tequila Reef still closed.

PJ's Bar just given away. 

All the above three establishments were in place for years, and survived other downturns, but not the latest one.

Agree with you on Pig and Whistle and Tequila Reef. Understand the reasons for closing but no one willing to open in their place? 

18 hours ago, kinyara said:

Agree with you on Pig and Whistle and Tequila Reef. Understand the reasons for closing but no one willing to open in their place? 

It may have been posted but what is the premises of the old Lone Star, and pharmacy next door going to become? (Soi Lengkee). I noticed it was all gutted yesterday. I remember the adverts for this place years ago, although I think the owner had a problematic offspring too.  If it is indeed to become another eatery, the real money must be in turning these places over...  brave time to be opening another restaurant in this area. More dust from demolition than cooking odours.

Edited by jacko45k

22 hours ago, Leaver said:

So, here's one of the most popular and legitimate bars, doing accommodation and meals also, right in the middle of Central Pattaya, looking to sell

I don't think there is a business in Pattaya that is not for sale.

At the right price.

Unfortunately, your negativity blinds you to this fact.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

It may have been posted but what is the premises of the old Lone Star, and pharmacy next door going to become? (Soi Lengkee). I noticed it was all gutted yesterday. I remember the adverts for this place years ago, although I think the owner had a problematic offspring too.  If it is indeed to become another eatery, the real money must be in turning these places over...  brave time to be opening another restaurant in this area. More dust from demolition than cooking odours.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:13 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Opening soon on soi Lengkee, The Grill Steaks & Ribs, run by the former owner of Smokin Joe's and Steak & Co.

A double-fronted unit, with The Grill downstairs more of a budget eatery than Ian's former steakhouse. Upstairs the Hungry Panda, mostly deliveries via Grab etc. A garden terrace area upstairs as well. The deliveries hopefully running from late Feb, the main restaurant sometime in March. All food prepared on the third floor, a 'dumb waiter' system installed.

Western style Chinese food, steaks and ribs together with other international dishes, most in the 300-400 baht range (except steaks). Charcoal grilled skewers and various meats from the new charcoal oven (pic), a new 250,000 BTU double wok burner coming too. Photos show the conversion is well under way...

https://www.facebook.com/TheGrillPattaya/

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 4:48 PM, kinyara said:

but no one willing to open in their place? 

Which means there are no buyers, and little wonder why.

As per my OP title, for some, maybe Pig and Whistle was their favorite pub, or Tequila Reef was their favorite restaurant. 

Both are gone now, and as you say, not been replaced / reopened, although I believe Tequila Reef may have moved locations.  I did ask on another thread whether it's the same management and staff, just at a new location, or new staff and management, using Tequila Reef's past reputation. 

it doesn't matter, one closes another opens.  My heart will go on.  There is always walking street.  Change is a constant, that's my attitude.  Accept it to make for an easy life, or complain...up to you I guess it's your life do as you please. 

4 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I don't think there is a business in Pattaya that is not for sale.

At the right price.

Unfortunately, your negativity blinds you to this fact.

Now you are being philosophical.  Eg. everyone has their price.

How about you stick to statistics and economic data, or does your optimism blind you to these? 

4 minutes ago, mike787 said:

it doesn't matter, one closes another opens.  My heart will go on.  There is always walking street.  Change is a constant, that's my attitude.  Accept it to make for an easy life, or complain...up to you I guess it's your life do as you please. 

What if one closes, and another one doesn't open?  We all lose variety and choice.