BANGKOK
Leaver

Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

41 minutes ago, wellred said:

how the logic of the Thai works.

After 19 years here, I still not understand it, because  I was educated and experienced it in a different way ( I am 71 ).

My Thai wife tell me often :

"Why do you think your logic is the only correct way ?

It may be in your western world, but not necessary in my Thailand "

She may have a point.

We often consider something as wrong, if we don't understand it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

A lot of places don't use a cleaning agent, to break down human grease after every shift, and it builds up.

Yes, just the perfunctory wipe with a rather grimy damp cloth. 

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, just the perfunctory wipe with a rather grimy damp cloth. 

Which sometimes they then use to clean glasses. Ever drank water out of a glass that stank? They were using the same rag for washing fry pans and wiping tables, not a good mix.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Ling Kae said:

There are other reasons. There is a group of 6 bars in a complex that I know of in Pattaya klang. One of them was successfully run by a farang for severals years. They basically charged 10 baht a beer less than the other Thai run bars and were getting most of the farang customers.

The Thai bar operators were jealous of his success. They then lobbied the land owner to force up his rent and he did. They all got together and forced him out. He closed up shop. Now they are all Thai run and all charge the same price. 

Being a farang puts you at a disadvantage all the time.  That's why I've never owned a bar here. 

i dont think id move into a string of bars all selling beer at the same price and undercut.. you do this and in no time everybodys selling at cost, or at a loss.

After 19 years here, I still not understand it, because  I was educated and experienced it in a different way ( I am 71 ).

My Thai wife tell me often :
"Why do you think your logic is the only correct way ?
It may be in your western world, but not necessary in my Thailand "

She may have a point.

We often consider something as wrong, if we don't understand it. 

Or maybe as they were never colonised they developed a super sized ego which leads them to not actually think through their business decisions and refuse to let anyone criticise them.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wellred said:

and refuse to let anyone criticise them.

Many of us are convinced that  our common sense is the only right one. 

Critic or calling into question is out of question. 

At 71 and after ca. 20 years Thailand, I start to accept (but with difficulty) that our approach is maybe not the only true one, and that we may not been right, 

always/everywhere. 

On 10/12/2019 at 4:13 AM, Leaver said:

Like I said, the Pattaya pie can only be cut into so many slices, but if 50% closed, we would all be losing a lot of choice and variety.

So, using the example, if Billabong Bar and Triangle Bar closed tomorrow, sure, customers can go elsewhere, but haven't they now lost some choice and variety? 

What if someone had been to the bar 100 yards away and didn't like it, but liked the Triangle Bar instead, for example. 

If Billabong or Triangle Bar closed, what establishment could accommodate the bands, and afford to employ them, which are big draw cards for those bars.

Once again, it's not doom and gloom.  For many reasons, from inside Thailand, and from outside Thailand, the next 6 to 12 months will really be survival of the fittest. 

It may be a surprise to some when some long standing bars, with a successful history, announce their closure, due to a decline in clientele, and a rise in expenses, which are both out of their control.   

If 50% closed We would NOT be losing a variety of choice. I repeat that the lazy formula of footie and hand sup music is NO CHOICE at all. Most Pattaya bars are undifferentiated,  mediocre,  lazy badly run, cliches. A sad reflection of their clientele. I can think of less than 10 well designed bars in Pattaya.....As for irish theme pubs! Just dreadful...a hangover from 70s Britain. And the constant drivel of black 'dance' music from the MTV charts have no place in a bar. Any bar that closes deserves to close for pandering to the lowest common denominator of entertainment......and driving out discerning customers with money. I view the closure of <deleted> bars as a protest and boycott which is finally beginning to bite. Some idiot bar owners think they must must let the bar girls dictate music policy to keep them happy!! <deleted>!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fhickson said:

why would the thai landlord raise the rent to something the bar could not handle?

Key Moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

6 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

If 50% closed We would NOT be losing a variety of choice. I repeat that the lazy formula of footie and hand sup music is NO CHOICE at all. Most Pattaya bars are undifferentiated,  mediocre,  lazy badly run, cliches. A sad reflection of their clientele. I can think of less than 10 well designed bars in Pattaya.....As for irish theme pubs! Just dreadful...a hangover from 70s Britain. And the constant drivel of black 'dance' music from the MTV charts have no place in a bar. Any bar that closes deserves to close for pandering to the lowest common denominator of entertainment......and driving out discerning customers with money. I view the closure of <deleted> bars as a protest and boycott which is finally beginning to bite. Some idiot bar owners think they must must let the bar girls dictate music policy to keep them happy!! <deleted>!

You are big on criticism, and small on details.

Name a couple of your favorite bars that do not fit into your description. 

7 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Many of us are convinced that  our common sense is the only right one. 

Critic or calling into question is out of question. 

At 71 and after ca. 20 years Thailand, I start to accept (but with difficulty) that our approach is maybe not the only true one, and that we may not been right, 

always/everywhere. 

i do that to, but the reason i have learned to adapt is because i now dont care if the thais get screwed.

makes things a lot easier for me.

Had a friend that thinks he’s a big shot in Pattaya , any new blood that would come to visit he would give them the grand tour of the bars and Gogos he owned . Show the new blood what a big man of the village he was , little did they know he was always priming them to ‘invest’ in his money making enterprises .... little did they know none were making any money and he was living off all the ‘investments’ his friends had made . None made even the smallest of money back and now nearly all of them to a man are back in the uk on the bones of their <deleted> ! While he is still in Pattaya living the dream 😀 

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You seem to really hate Thailand.  Are you even here or do you even still come back?  If so why?  So you can keep complaining?

23 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Had a friend that thinks he’s a big shot in Pattaya , any new blood that would come to visit he would give them the grand tour of the bars and Gogos he owned . Show the new blood what a big man of the village he was , little did they know he was always priming them to ‘invest’ in his money making enterprises .... little did they know none were making any money and he was living off all the ‘investments’ his friends had made . None made even the smallest of money back and now nearly all of them to a man are back in the uk on the bones of their <deleted> ! While he is still in Pattaya living the dream 😀 

I've heard of things like that on a few occasions here including the one where up to 20 people have been tricked into buying 10% each of the business.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SidJames said:

I've heard of things like that on a few occasions here including the one where up to 20 people have been tricked into buying 10% each of the business.

Give enough of a carrot to anyone and they will bite . The fools will keep coming don’t you worry about that 😀

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

classic...

for those who still fall for this sort of thing or who are new, just never talk about money/employment. i dont even discuss it with family these days.

write down a standard answer or response to the money/employment question on your smartphone and refer to it as needed, and the answer or change of subject becomes second nature. whomever is asking will get along just fine without your info!