Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

10 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Given that the original post was written 7 months ago it's pretty clear that possible " imminent" closures never happened to any noticeable degree any more than they would have done in a normal annual business cycle in Pattaya.

Imminent closures are part of the normal business cycle.

Borrowed from another forum.....

A bit of bar news now, and Harem has reclosed, reopened and reclosed, whereas Party Girlz, not to be outdone, has reopened, reclosed, reopened again and reclosed again. Pulse has also just closed but this one looks to be more permanent. 

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Imminent closures are part of the normal business cycle.

Borrowed from another forum.....

A bit of bar news now, and Harem has reclosed, reopened and reclosed, whereas Party Girlz, not to be outdone, has reopened, reclosed, reopened again and reclosed again. Pulse has also just closed but this one looks to be more permanent. 

Exactly, hardly worth bothering about in a city of thousands of establishments. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 6:21 AM, CGW said:

I can vouch for that much prefer to stay at home now than go out, i have good food, good drink, good AC, social life is vastly overrated IMO ???? 

What's the point of living in Pattaya then? 

On 2/26/2020 at 10:50 AM, jacko45k said:

Probably more exciting than living alone in a 25sqm box in soi Arunothai. 

Or worse, living with an aged Thai lady is the same box with sharp instruments nearby. 

Same question to you, what's the point of living in Pattaya then?

If one is not interested in an active social / nightlife, why not live in a place surrounded by nice nature, not a concrete jungle with a beach water you can not swim in. 

On 2/26/2020 at 11:59 AM, kinyara said:

Given that the original post was written 7 months ago it's pretty clear that possible " imminent" closures never happened to any noticeable degree any more than they would have done in a normal annual business cycle in Pattaya.

The GFC took a while to bite.  The signs are already there for Pattaya. 

On 2/26/2020 at 12:20 PM, kinyara said:

Exactly, hardly worth bothering about in a city of thousands of establishments. 

Unless it's your favorite, or, as brought up in this thread, frequented by an individual, possibly due to convenience of location.

On 2/27/2020 at 2:20 PM, johng said:

80,000 baht a month rent !!! ...that's where the money is made.

Yes, and when the business goes broke, key money gone also. 

Alas, the dreamers are in short supply these days. 

On 2/26/2020 at 5:49 AM, kingdong said:

London's cheaper than thailand now.

Which could be justified, if the beach and water here were nice, and the city had good infrastructure, but then it would be attracting high end tourist, instead of masses of budget package holiday tourists.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

What's the point of living in Pattaya then? 

Golf, shopping & availability of western goods & services, hospitals, proximity to airport, friends and acquaintances, climate & air quality & off course the local temples are great ???? 

• Like 1

I noticed what (to me) is a new place opened on Third Road about 300 yards or so after Pattaya Klang travelling south. I think it was called HopAddict or similar. Name was illuminated in yellow lights. As I was on the back of a mc taxi I did not notice if just a bar or restaurant as well.  

Anybody know anything about it?

6 hours ago, CGW said:

Golf, shopping & availability of western goods & services, hospitals, proximity to airport, friends and acquaintances, climate & air quality & off course the local temples are great ???? 

Certainly, that was the case when Pattaya / Thailand offered good value.  However, Pattaya now has comparable prices to the west, but with nasty infrastructure, massive corruption, and a useless beach.  

The temples are great, though.  ????

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Certainly, that was the case when Pattaya / Thailand offered good value.

True, the one thing that Pattaya gave me that doesn't apply to most, is it was a tax free haven, still is if your circumstances are similar to what mine were, times have changed, sure people don't look at it as great value for money anymore?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Leaver said:

Same question to you, what's the point of living in Pattaya then?

If one is not interested in an active social / nightlife, why not live in a place surrounded by nice nature, not a concrete jungle with a beach water you can not swim in. 

One has to define living. A small condo does not supply it, only a place to sleep and fester. One would have to get out, perhaps sitting in the benches in the Mall absorbing free AC. It is that or Chang for breakfast. A reasonable amount of space allows a few home pass-times, I could have a train-set!????

I live out of town somewhat, and a day at home passes easily for me. Nice nature is difficult, most of the City's surrounding areas are a rubbish tip, but the garden beats that dump called Arunothai area. I do occasionally wish I was more central, a stroll for an hour in a GGB, or to watch a Premier League game over a beer would also be good. I am too far out for that.

Edited by jacko45k

He's probably not turned a profit since opening.  The siege will soon end. 

I don't know about that, ongoing health issues is cited, but the selling price suggests he is doing OK. 

So, that's Pattaya's biggest and best sports bar, Retox, and now one of Pattaya's most popular restaurants for westerners, for sale, yet, Pattaya is busy, and the local economy is strong.  ????

Well it has only been around since July or so, we had 3 of that ilk pop up all about the same time. I hope it survives, Cheap Charlie's is always packed. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I don't know about that, ongoing health issues is cited, but the selling price suggests he is doing OK. 

Selling 100 baht meals, with 80,0000 baht a month rent, yes, he would be sick, with stress.   

• Haha 1