Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

1 hour ago, Sid Vicious said:

The likes of Pig and Whistle died with 7 & 8 years ago. Not only that it was dull boarding depressing. 

When the owner died, the bar died along with him.

The staff kept it running, but were never going to invest in the business, so it just got shoddier and shoddier, and eventually even the loyalest of customers stopped going.

There was nothing sudden about the closing of P&W no matter what some say.

6 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Has the tide turned? .... an Indian Restaurant closes and a Beer Bar opens in its place.

One can hope, but I'm still waiting for them to demolish Central and bring the beer bars back where they belong, next to beach.

2 hours ago, Sid Vicious said:

..not sitting in some <deleted> falling apart place with holes in the floor, disgusting toilets with a oblong shaped bar in the middle with stools around it staring at the bar girls with loud <deleted> music. 

Ah, memories of the good times.

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

The staff kept it running, but were never going to invest in the business, so it just got shoddier and shoddier, and eventually even the loyalest of customers stopped going.

Spot on. Shabby, indifferent service, mediocre food, overpriced--for years. Meanwhile other venues, better value, opened up targeted at the same market. Yer average baked-beans-on-toast tourist never went there anyway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

when the owner died - the freehold and the contents were transferred over to his widow......

The reason it closed was not that "it went out of business", but that she sold the freehold - the new owners, decided to close the place - and are now offering it up for rent  .....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sid Vicious said:

Pattaya is changing that's all and if you don't like it then tough that's how it is.

So, what, exactly. do you think Pattaya is changing into, and do you think such change will be successful? 

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

One can hope, but I'm still waiting for them to demolish Central and bring the beer bars back where they belong, next to beach.

Central Festival?

It sits on the ashes of the Ocean View, not beer bars.

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Maybe then they can demolish Royal garden and put the bungalows back in the same garden setting as they were originally, great location ???? memories..............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

It still seemed to take people by surprise, perhaps kept quiet for a reason or two. 

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

So, that's 2 in two days.

Wonder how things will be 2 months from now. 

Damm we are still on the outer edges of high season.....

I wonder where all the jobless GoGo girls are going to be hanging now? The remaining GoGos can only absorb so many new girls....

3 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Damm we are still on the outer edges of high season.....

I wonder where all the jobless GoGo girls are going to be hanging now? The remaining GoGos can only absorb so many new girls....

Get rid of the chubbies and the glow in the dark stretch mark brigade .... On second thoughts there will be none left . 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

There's nothing sudden about the closure of many venues here.

Greedy Thai landlords looking to send bars broke to cash in on key money and sell again to the next dreamer.  Trouble is, there are very few dreamers these days. 

The Thai landlords here have out priced Pattaya as a value for money tourist destination in the region.

But P&W is under discussion. Can you prove that a greedy Thai landlord put it out of business or is this just the usual pretense to an authoritative economic pronouncement?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Runway/Nui's Club 2 seems to have closed also.

GoGo Count now at 68?

I dont know for sure what the highest number of GoGos was but after doing a real half-ass search of past counts the highest number I saw was in the high 90s or close to 100 GoGos.......

Edited by fforest1

Looks like the Punch & Judy will be reopening soon, presumably under new ownership. They've been lifting new equipment into the first-floor kitchen and there are new tables and chairs on the patio. No sign of it being renamed yet.

26 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Looks like the Punch & Judy will be reopening soon, presumably under new ownership. They've been lifting new equipment into the first-floor kitchen and there are new tables and chairs on the patio. No sign of it being renamed yet.

I'd be surprised if it lasts too long, I just think it's a bad location. 

16 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

How long has the Caddyshack across the street been open in that bad location?

Caddyshack owns the building so they don't have the rising rent issue that seems to kill a lot of businesses in tougher times. The Lion bar was obviously another victim in that area. 

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

Caddyshack owns the building so they don't have the rising rent issue that seems to kill a lot of businesses in tougher times. 

So ... its only a bad location, if you do not own your building?

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

The Lion bar was obviously another victim in that area. 

Believe it's in the process of re-opening.

19 hours ago, kinyara said:

I'd be surprised if it lasts too long, I just think it's a bad location. 

There's nothing wrong with the location, OK it's not Walking Street, but there's a lot of farangs living in the area and a lot of passing traffic. The original owners sold it mainly because Pattaya started enforcing fire safety regulations which meant that the staircase in a standard shophouse here isn't wide enough for it to be used as a guesthouse, and they could no longer rent out the rooms above the pub. That must have been a useful bit of extra income, but presumably the new owner knows all this and has taken it into account in his business plan. Or maybe Pattaya City is no longer enforcing the fire safety regulations, TiT so who knows?

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2020 at 12:38 PM, TaaSaparot said:

You on about your pocket again?

No, I'm on about tourist's pockets, not my own, and it would appear Pattaya has finally reached the bottom of the western tourist's pockets.  

On 3/8/2020 at 1:13 PM, fforest1 said:

The remaining GoGos can only absorb so many new girls....

I think you will find they will be cutting the number of girls, not hiring more.  Jut not enough customers to go around.