Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

On 3/8/2020 at 1:46 PM, BigStar said:

But P&W is under discussion. Can you prove that a greedy Thai landlord put it out of business or is this just the usual pretense to an authoritative economic pronouncement?

I was speaking generally on how Thai landlords have raised rents to a point where Pattaya is no longer a value for money tourist destination.  i did not say this was the case for the P & W. 

13 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

So ... its only a bad location, if you do not own your building?

Believe it's in the process of re-opening.

When 2 out of 3 outlets within a couple of hundred yards of each other close the common denominator appears to be the inability to cover their overheads of which rent is a major factor. 

13 hours ago, Guderian said:

There's nothing wrong with the location, OK it's not Walking Street, but there's a lot of farangs living in the area and a lot of passing traffic. The original owners sold it mainly because Pattaya started enforcing fire safety regulations which meant that the staircase in a standard shophouse here isn't wide enough for it to be used as a guesthouse, and they could no longer rent out the rooms above the pub. That must have been a useful bit of extra income, but presumably the new owner knows all this and has taken it into account in his business plan. Or maybe Pattaya City is no longer enforcing the fire safety regulations, TiT so who knows?

So you're saying that the farangs in the area and passing trade weren't enough to keep it going, changes to regulations meaning they couldn't rent rooms to tourists was the deciding factor leading to its closure. If it wasn't profitable enough on that basis it will be interesting to see how they are going to succeed in the current environment. 

On 3/7/2020 at 9:01 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Has the tide turned? .... an Indian Restaurant closes and a Beer Bar opens in its place.

ESd7JPcUMAAry-W?format=jpg&name=large

I have been walking around second road and off south Pattaya road and there are dozens of empty Indian restaurants, really dozens with not a customer in sight.

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think you will find they will be cutting the number of girls, not hiring more.  Jut not enough customers to go around. 

You are quite right... when times are lean the fat is trimmed, Less to see indoors and cutting the only costs they can... salaries. 

10 hours ago, adammike said:

I have been walking around second road and off south Pattaya road and there are dozens of empty Indian restaurants, really dozens with not a customer in sight.

I have pounded the keyboard many a time trying to bring this empty Indian restaurant anomaly to people's attention....This situation could not exist if someone ??? was not paying the bills every month for all these empty Indian restaurants......

But not many people here seemed very interested in the subject so I quit posting about it...

But this does not change the fact that there are 100s and 100s of all but empty Indian restaurants in Pattaya.....And They have been open for many years too.... 

I would guess 99% of the few customers they have are Indians....Farangs mostly refuse to pay their expensive prices (and  the Thais/Chinese/Japanese/Koreans refuse to eat there at all)......I don't think the Indians on a tight budget can afford to eat there either........So these 100s and 100s of Indian restaurants are all depending on the middle class Indians almost exclusively to cover the rent, water, electric, gas, food stock, equipment repairs/purchases, taxes, employee salaries , employee visas... etc etc etc

Its just simply impossible.......Yet there they are open year after year....  

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You are quite right... when times are lean the fat is trimmed, Less to see indoors and cutting the only costs they can... salaries. 

Ironically, this will see an increase in attractive girls on apps, further decreasing customers in gogo bars.

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

Ironically, this will see an increase in attractive girls on apps, further decreasing customers in gogo bars.

But if they do the odd BOGOF occasionally who cares....:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

New bar close to opening on LK Metro called Celona Bar, which would be replacing a Travel Agency.

From the evenings I have spent there recently, I would say LK Metro is doing very well at the moment.

Always good to hear of a new bar opening.  I like variety and choice. 

There are a lot of places for sale in the Soi Baukaew area.  Here's a random from the first page of Google.

https://www.businessesforsale.com/search/businesses-for-sale-in-pattaya

On 3/3/2020 at 1:55 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Actually ...

P&W - Closed

Butchers Arms - Sold and Re-opened

Tequila Reef - Closed and staff Re-opened elsewhere

Retox - Closed

Pig & Whistle will open after a refit, as a .... Indian Restaurant.

You heard it here first!

5 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Pig & Whistle will open after a refit, as a .... Indian Restaurant.

You heard it here first!

Are you being cynical?

I certainly didn't hear it here first, I heard it soon after the place closed.... and six months plus later haven't seen any evidence of it. And Pattaya desperately needs another empty Indian restaurant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Are you being cynical?

I certainly didn't hear it here first, I heard it soon after the place closed.... and six months plus later haven't seen any evidence of it. And Pattaya desperately needs another empty Indian restaurant.

When the Indian restaurants only out number the 7-11s  2or3 to one......This tells me one thing.....Pattaya needs lots and lots more Indian restaurants....lol

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Are you being cynical?

We also heard about The Avenue becoming a Pattaya Nana Plaza.  ????

• Like 1

Returning to the reopening of the Punch & Judy I mentioned a few days ago, it's got a new sign outside that says it's an "Italian Risto Pub". Unlucky timing with the virus outbreak to be opening an Italian venue. It's been rebranded as "Pulcinella" but they're keeping the Punch & Judy name as well, presumably to make former customers feel at home.

I don't think it's open yet, my handyman tells me they've got big problems with a leaking water supply, and they're currently digging up the road at the back of the place.

IMG20200311195521.thumb.jpg.e997c9b8906a1f74aef985e7e4fbfe5d.jpg

IMG20200311195530.thumb.jpg.f7ce7391a31da6ebaa8149836f8157b4.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Returning to the reopening of the Punch & Judy I mentioned a few days ago, it's got a new sign outside that says it's an "Italian Risto Pub". Unlucky timing with the virus outbreak to be opening an Italian venue. It's been rebranded as "Pulcinella" but they're keeping the Punch & Judy name as well, presumably to make former customers feel at home.

I don't think it's open yet, my handyman tells me they've got big problems with a leaking water supply, and they're currently digging up the road at the back of the place.

IMG20200311195521.thumb.jpg.e997c9b8906a1f74aef985e7e4fbfe5d.jpg

IMG20200311195530.thumb.jpg.f7ce7391a31da6ebaa8149836f8157b4.jpg

Boy this has to be the worst timing in all recorded history to be opening a Italian restaurant now........Kind of like opening a surf shop in Phuket the day after the tsunami..... 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Clearly the new owner has done his homework and has a well thought out business plan. ????

Plenty of Italian expats here; they won't be going home anytime soon. Good luck to the business.