Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

Just back from an afternoon in Pattaya and the beach was as busy at sundown as I've ever seen it, really very pleasant. Decided to visit the Pattaya Beer Garden for something to eat, 5 customers in total in the hour I was there and when I left at 5pm I was the only customer. Must have been 30 staff standing around and some were sat out at the street entrance with signs trying to entice customers in, but since the masses were further up the north end of beach road looked a bit of a lost cause. 

I'll pay another sundown/early evening visit after Monday  to see if the situation is better when beer can be sold. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/4/2020 at 4:17 PM, Leaver said:

They would be paying a large franchise fee, in a place devoid of tourists. 

We have discussed if Thai landlords were going going to offer some rent reduction, but franchise fees is another one.  McDonalds, Subway etc.  I wonder if they will be getting a franchise fee reduction.  If not, maybe some on them might close as well.   

Burger King between Central Marina and T21 (other side of the road) has gone. It was on the corner of the square where many Korean restos are. @Jingthing will need to find a new point of reference for his reviews down there. ☺

19 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

There is one new opening in the Avenue .... yet another branch of Amazon Coffee.

A lot cheaper than Starbucks. Owned by PTT and were originally limited to opening just on their petrol/gas stations but some jiggerypokery somewhere somehow means they are sprouting up everywhere. Their chocolate cake is worth paying a visit for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

Just back from an afternoon in Pattaya and the beach was as busy at sundown as I've ever seen it, really very pleasant. Decided to visit the Pattaya Beer Garden for something to eat, 5 customers in total in the hour I was there and when I left at 5pm I was the only customer. Must have been 30 staff standing around and some were sat out at the street entrance with signs trying to entice customers in, but since the masses were further up the north end of beach road looked a bit of a lost cause. 

I'll pay another sundown/early evening visit after Monday  to see if the situation is better when beer can be sold. 

Thanks.

Seen a lot of photos the staff have been taking with not much to do.

The thing is, when it first opened it had a good expat trade as the beer was reasonably priced and the owner made a promise to try and keep it like that.

But the last few years the annual price rises on the beer has been ridiculous.

Sure the draft <deleted> water is still reasonable but most of the bottled beers are now around the 100 baht mark, and the locals can easily find better value elsewhere, especially in the afternoons.

IMHO

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Amazon coffee is between 50 to 60 to 70% cheaper than Starbucks depending on what you order.......I don't know why anyone goes to Starbucks..... 

I think some people go to hook up with one of the single ladies lurking in the outdoor seating area. 

29 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Thanks.

The thing is, when it first opened it had a good expat trade as the beer was reasonably priced and the owner made a promise to try and keep it like that.

Sure the draft <deleted> water is still reasonable but most of the bottled beers are now around the 100 baht mark, and the locals can easily find better value elsewhere, especially in the afternoons.

IMHO

Tiger draft is the BOMB baby.....lol.....

@55 baht....

59 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Thanks.

IMHO

I think you've hit the nail exactly on the head, I don't want to sound cheap as I don't mind the odd 5 or 10 baht difference on a beer location dependent, but my own view is they have gradually priced themselves out of the only market that currently exists. Fine when their target tourist market is around but a potential disaster now.  Now that I think about it what I ate today with a couple of soft drinks on reflection does seem ridiculously expensive. 

I did suggest on another thread it might be worth his while thinking about a short term price promotion to drum up business, I've seen other food venues doing that.   At current prices it will remain an occassional venue for me as a short stop to other locations with equally pleasant views on beach road but with better value. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

I think you've hit the nail exactly on the head, I don't want to sound cheap as I don't mind the odd 5 or 10 baht difference on a beer location dependent, but my own view is they have gradually priced themselves out of the only market that currently exists. Fine when their target tourist market is around but a potential disaster now.  Now that I think about it what I ate today with a couple of soft drinks on reflection does seem ridiculously expensive. 

I did suggest on another thread it might be worth his while thinking about a short term price promotion to drum up business, I've seen other food venues doing that.   At current prices it will remain an occassional venue for me as a short stop to other locations with equally pleasant views on beach road but with better value. 

Most of the beach restaurants are history.....

I am a dyed in the wool cheap charlie.....And I do not think the Beer Garden is expensive at all... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kinyara said:

Fully loading with 30 staff is just daft, it seems the owner is struggling to adapt.

On the subject of beer prices, the places growing in popularity are the ones that sell large bottle beers for 50-90 baht, no service just take from the fridge

Edited by scubascuba3

7 hours ago, champers said:

A lot cheaper than Starbucks. Owned by PTT and were originally limited to opening just on their petrol/gas stations but some jiggerypokery somewhere somehow means they are sprouting up everywhere. Their chocolate cake is worth paying a visit for.

I was surprised to not only see an amazon open in Soi Khao Noi but they also built a new building for it, wonder why they did not set-up in one of the many empty shops in The Chilled ?

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

New falang in Hungry Hippo today, looks like learning the ropes, maybe in the process of being sold

The regular guy was in there too but I also saw a new face...... it was up for sale before Covid and he has been fortunate if a sale is to be made. Place still seems to be well supported. Actually heard the owner chatting and complaining that it is too corrupt here and he had had enough.

Edited by jacko45k

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Fully loading with 30 staff is just daft, it seems the owner is struggling to adapt.

On the subject of beer prices, the places growing in popularity are the ones that sell large bottle beers for 50-90 baht, no service just take from the fridge

I think it's possible there might have been some shift crossover given the time I was there,  but then again maybe that's the normal level and I just noticed it due to the absence of customers. 

I mix it up a bit more now and use the Jomtien Night Market a couple of times a week which is as you describe, vendor booth rather than waitress service, but for 80 baht for a large cold beer with a perfect beachside view it helps even things out with pricier places. Nice to have options even if a few may fall by the wayside. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Most of the beach restaurants are history.....

I am a dyed in the wool cheap charlie.....And I do not think the Beer Garden is expensive at all... 

Like you when I go there I opt for their cheapest beer which is the draft, since the bottled beer is now around 50% higher than beach road bars. Tourist target pricing.  I look at it like other bars are giving me a free beer to every 2 I drink compared to the PBG ???????? 

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The regular guy was in there too but I also saw a new face...... it was up for sale before Covid and he has been fortunate if a sale is to be made. Place still seems to be well supported. Actually heard the owner chatting and complaining that it is too corrupt here and he had had enough.

Prices jump about there a lot, in the last week many dishes up 20 baht, chilli con carne was 99 baht now 119 baht. If prices go up too much it's popularity will go down the toilet

6 hours ago, innosiem said:

He has been complaining about here for 15 years.......????‍♂️

Perhaps that's because he has had "medical reasons" for 15 years.   ???? 

Edited by Leaver
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Maybe he's installing a manager.  

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Maybe he's installing a manager.  

Possible but didn't seem like that, More like a newbie owner learning the ropes. If true, good news he was able to sell, just hope new bloke doesn't screw it up

Edited by scubascuba3

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Prices jump about there a lot, in the last week many dishes up 20 baht, chilli con carne was 99 baht now 119 baht. If prices go up too much it's popularity will go down the toilet

Had the Sunday dinner recently, I thought it reasonably priced, although the amount of meat was small... but it was lamb. Judging by some other customers I should not be too regular there, some heavy and unhealthy looking types.

Big breakfast at Retox another day was a disappointment and a little expensive, and they can't seem to understand their own menus and argue about it as if it is my fault. A bit disappointed with food in Pattaya of late.

Edited by jacko45k

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Had the Sunday dinner recently, I thought it reasonably priced, although the amount of meat was small... but it was lamb. Judging by some other customers I should not be too regular there, some heavy and unhealthy looking types.

Big breakfast at Retox another day was a disappointment and a little expensive, and they can't seem to understand their own menus and argue about it as if it is my fault. A bit disappointed with food in Pattaya of late.

The Sunday dinner at HH is usually good. Lots of chicken, that's the best value, Pork less, Virginia ham less still, and perhaps Lamb even less according to your report. Opt for Chicken or Pork, many good dishes, trial and error. The only one I didn't like was the dodgy cheese burger and oven chips