Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Never had a Thai girlfriend.  Never bought a property.  Pay an agent for the visa. Never sent money for a sick buffalo.  Never bought a bar.  Never came under the notice of police. 

I didn't come to Thailand to fall in love with a prostitute and adopt an extended Thai family.  

I could sell some things at a fire sale price and leave the country within 36 to 48 hours, should I want to, or should I need to.  (Covid aside)  

I enjoy total freedom in the fact I have nothing to lose, and nothing can be taken from me here.  

I make Thailand work for me, not me work for Thailand. 

Therefore, I have absolutely nothing to be negative about.  I admit I am here for the nightlife.  Yes, a monger, you can say.  Covid aside, Pattaya is a great place for that lifestyle.  

That said, Thailand /Pattaya has poor governance, is rife with corruption, and has failing infrastructure, and these are only going to get worse in the future.  Then, there is TAT with their push for quantity and not quality.

Many on this forum take the p*ss out of the Thai government and the BiB and TAT.  There is a  hipocrisy to take the p*ss out of members who also take the p*ss out of the same things? 

Pattaya is not perfect, nor is Thailand.  Nothing wrong with discussing the imperfections.   

Be brave post your Google maps timeline for the last day, would be interesting where in Pattaya you went. Blur out the places you'd prefer to be hidden

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Be brave post your Google maps timeline for the last day, would be interesting where in Pattaya you went. Blur out the places you'd prefer to be hidden

I disable as much of the tracking as I can, and even then, it's probably still not enough, and I would encourage everyone to do the same. 

I fly under the radar here.    

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Never had a Thai girlfriend.  Never bought a property.  Pay an agent for the visa. Never sent money for a sick buffalo.  Never bought a bar.  Never came under the notice of police. 

I didn't come to Thailand to fall in love with a prostitute and adopt an extended Thai family.  

I could sell some things at a fire sale price and leave the country within 36 to 48 hours, should I want to, or should I need to.  (Covid aside)  

I enjoy total freedom in the fact I have nothing to lose, and nothing can be taken from me here.  

I make Thailand work for me, not me work for Thailand. 

Therefore, I have absolutely nothing to be negative about.  I admit I am here for the nightlife.  Yes, a monger, you can say.  Covid aside, Pattaya is a great place for that lifestyle.  

That said, Thailand /Pattaya has poor governance, is rife with corruption, and has failing infrastructure, and these are only going to get worse in the future.  Then, there is TAT with their push for quantity and not quality.

Many on this forum take the p*ss out of the Thai government and the BiB and TAT.  There is a  hipocrisy to take the p*ss out of members who also take the p*ss out of the same things? 

Pattaya is not perfect, nor is Thailand.  Nothing wrong with discussing the imperfections.   

Cliff notes:  No Game, no Money. ????

J/K, lighten up, easy come..... easy go.

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I disable as much of the tracking as I can, and even then, it's probably still not enough, and I would encourage everyone to do the same. 

I fly under the radar here.    

As you should, carrying such a negative vibe around on your shoulders would mean you are not a happy person to be around. Better to pretend you are someone else ????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

I know Thailand doesn't have basements, but I can't stop thinking of you typing away in your Mum's basement as you isolate yourself from meaningful society

You are obviously depressed, being stuck in Australia.  Thus, not here to see what is happening on the ground.  Perhaps if you were, your posts may be different.   

Reality is not negativity.  

When you get back here, you will see for yourself.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think the "thousands of tourists" are monitoring the boarders opening and visa requirements, and when they are sorted, they will turn their attention as to what's open and what's closed, and whether it's worth coming here or not, which this threat may offer some information for them.  

not really. once boots are back on the ground they will wander, explore, and discover. personally i am just using this topic to see if any of my regular haunts are going going gone. i'm sure once the masses return there will be watering holes still moist. thanks for the topic, although that is 'wandering' at times also...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I know Thailand doesn't have basements, but I can't stop thinking of you typing away in your Mum's basement as you isolate yourself from meaningful society

i shouldn't laugh at that comment. but i did. who knows what the OP is really like apart from the OP himself. i am sure (read hope) he is mentally well adjusted and we will not hear about about him on the news (in whatever way i don't want to mention)

anyways. fave bars closing or imminent ? 

yeah pretty much. end of thread? Q is A'd

32 minutes ago, jastheace said:

not really. once boots are back on the ground they will wander, explore, and discover. personally i am just using this topic to see if any of my regular haunts are going going gone. i'm sure once the masses return there will be watering holes still moist. thanks for the topic, although that is 'wandering' at times also...

Thanks for your input.  We are living in extraordinary times, so it's only natural such a topic should wander.

When I started this thread, way before Covid, it was more about if your favorite bar and restaurant was going to remain open.  Now, it's more about if they are still open, temporarily closed, permanently closed, or have changed location.  

In my opinion, there will be a chicken and egg scenario.  Tourist will not just come back to Pattaya because Pattaya is Pattaya. (boots on the ground as your say)  Tourists will want to know what is open, and what is operating as pre Covid normal, before they spend their hard earned and time coming here.  Some may accept less of a pre Covid normal.  Also, a lot is dependent on Thai government restrictions and requirements.  

It will take a long time for the masses to return.  It will start as a trickle, and may take 3 to 5 years to get back to pre Covid normal.  Many of our favorites will have been long gone by then.

As you say, let's hope there are new favorites to discover, and Pattaya doesn't turn into China Town.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jastheace said:

i shouldn't laugh at that comment. but i did. who knows what the OP is really like apart from the OP himself. i am sure (read hope) he is mentally well adjusted and we will not hear about about him on the news (in whatever way i don't want to mention)

anyways. fave bars closing or imminent ? 

yeah pretty much. end of thread? Q is A'd

For reasons given in Post #2047, my mental health is fine.  Certainly a lot better than many others here at the moment. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

Over the course of this thread a few things have surprised me.  Probably the biggest surprise for me was Retox being put up for sale, just before Covid, so they could see the writing on the wall.     

A surprise but not unexpected. Even before Covid Retox was on its last legs. 3 years ago Simon was flying and could do no wrong. Spent a fortune to open Soi Honey then bought into Robin Hood and Retox Darkside. First to go was Robin Hood which had been a mistake from the start, everyone had tried and failed to make it take off. Location, location, location. When the ancestral home of Retox, Soi Lengkee folded, the writing was on the wall. They pulled out of the money pit that was Robin Hood and finally out of Retox Darkside a few months ago, leaving only Soi Honey to reflect on former glories.

Went in with a mate who was over from the UK in February, for breakfast. He had previously been a fan but on paying the bill, declared it a dump. I had to agree with him. The signature dish of Retox was now stocked with cheap and nasty ingredients, better to be had elsewhere and cheaper. The final straw was when I rested my arm on the table and it stuck to the table. It had become a cheap and grubby transport caf. No surprise to me that its down to 6 days per week.

Next installment, the rise and fall of the mighty Nightwish.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

Just now, jastheace said:

thanks. missed that. short lived? was something before? i was more khao noi/ khao talo on the darkside, darker side was nernplubwarn. so siam was birthdays /christmas treats. retox i do not recall, but thanks @polpott

I think it was originally Outback Golf bar. Retox originally set up in a small bar/restaurant on the other side of the road (now quite a good Taco restaurant). Did a deal with the Australian owner of much bigger premises and remodelled it Retox style. Since Retox pulled out nothing has changed, same menu and the Aussie appears to be back in charge.

• Thanks 1

Not suggesting it's  going to close since they must clearly have seen an opportunity to get a deal on the site for the long term, but has anyone tried out the recently opened Witherspoons on Beach Road. I've driven past numerous times and I've yet to see a single customer in it. 

Looks to have a nice open upstairs area view wise which I could imagine being popular when people return but the downstairs main area layout doesn't look very attractive from the outside to me. 

Edited by kinyara
Spelling error

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's an interesting one, going down Soi 6 I see bars full of girls but no customers, how have they survived this long? 

Mug investors who put money in but get nothing back. Even that has dried up now, some bars remain closed, others are bleeding money, the clock is ticking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, polpott said:

Mug investors who put money in but get nothing back. Even that has dried up now, some bars remain closed, others are bleeding money, the clock is ticking.

28 bars, all with big rent and other overheads to pay, with no profits in the foreseeable future. 

Many of those investors are throwing good money after bad, but the sinking ship can't stay afloat forever.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

28 bars, all with big rent and other overheads to pay, with no profits in the foreseeable future. 

Many of those investors are throwing good money after bad, but the sinking ship can't stay afloat forever.  

Soi 6 I think can support a few bars now but there are WAY WAY WAY WAY more bars and girls there now than there needs to be for the expat crowd.....Most of those girls are working for nothing.....Maybe a few stunners are doing ok but the rest??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

One of the first cliche investment rules was "never put all your eggs in one basket". Was so surprised that a company would try to buy the whole of soi 6

Edited by aussiexpat

Soi 6 is now one of the most expensive places in town...GoGo and freelance girls are VERY price flexible these days......Soi 6 needs to roll prices back to 1,000 all-in and maybe they would be more busy..... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

One of the first cliche investment rules was "never put all your eggs in one basket". Was so surprised that a company would try to buy the whole of soi 6

They have diversified in a number of ways. Bars on Soi Chiapoom, Soi Bongkot and even a restaurant on 3rd Rd. at one time. Problem is most of those diversifications failed miserably.

Oh, and lets not forget the online forum they own (although they deny it). Another failing business.

• Like 1