Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

4 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Soi 6 is now one of the most expensive places in town...GoGo and freelance girls are VERY price flexible these days......Soi 6 need to roll prices back to 1,000 all-in and maybe they would be more busy..... 

Lets not forget the "mandrinks" for managers. Craziest idea ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Soi 6 is now one of the most expensive places in town...GoGo and freelance girls are VERY price flexible these days......Soi 6 needs to roll prices back to 1,000 all-in and maybe they would be more busy..... 

I agree 1,000 all in is becoming the norm, the sois that aren't shifting remain very quiet. Beach Road 600 is the new norm, a year ago it was 1,000

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Soi 6 I think can support a few bars now but there are WAY WAY WAY WAY more bars and girls there now than there needs to be for the expat crowd.....Most of those girls are working for nothing.....Maybe a few stunners are doing ok but the rest??

I can't see that situation changing anytime soon.  I would not be surprised if many return home, again.  

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

There was / is no diversification in their style of bar, and very little diversification by way of location.  As you say, all the eggs in one basket

The open fronted style also conflicated with the image of soi 6 the old Expats hold dear, of being behind closed doors.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The open fronted style also conflicated with the image of soi 6 the old Expats hold dear, of being behind closed doors.

The conflicate was much more than with image. Mainly it conflicated with practicality for the Big Spenders of old in the heyday of Pattaya's prosperity. Behind closed doors, groping and sex on the sofas avoided the need to spend a few hundred extra for a short-time room.

Both styles have their advantages/disadvantages. Some well-known bars, i. e., Ruby (sad to say), were converted before the reign of Nightwish. Soi 6 still has both styles, though many of the closed style bars aren't open.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 12:51 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I agree 1,000 all in is becoming the norm, the sois that aren't shifting remain very quiet. Beach Road 600 is the new norm, a year ago it was 1,000

Interesting. Personally, in the old days, when I was into this sort of thing, it was always 1000bt short time, 2000bt long time. Nowadays, I'm comfy with a cup of cocoa and the dogs. Yeah, closed bars are probably good if you're married. If you're a single guy then I guess it doesn't matter much, except that the more intimate things are best done in private. Weird experiences I must say, being totally blotto at the time, I sort of half-recall what went on, these girls weren't shy, that's for sure.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

The conflicate was much more than with image. Mainly it conflicated with practicality for the Big Spenders of old in the heyday of Pattaya's prosperity. Behind closed doors, groping and sex on the sofas avoided the need to spend a few hundred extra for a short-time room.

Both styles have their advantages/disadvantages. Some well-known bars, i. e., Ruby (sad to say), were converted before the reign of Nightwish. Soi 6 still has both styles, though many of the closed style bars aren't open.

Well I've learnt a new word, but even after googling it and reading the definition a few times I'm no clearer on the meaning. 

Perhaps the passage of time will help. 

On 9/26/2020 at 8:49 PM, Leaver said:

28 bars, all with big rent and other overheads to pay, with no profits in the foreseeable future. 

Many of those investors are throwing good money after bad, but the sinking ship can't stay afloat forever.  

They are down to 24 now as they pulled out of their Soi Chaiyapoom bars about 1 week ago. 13 of the 24 are currently operating. 

I'm trying very hard to resist schadenfreude, it really depends on how quickly the powers that be pull out of this tourism dump. Nobody is benefiting. Not the soi dogs, or the Issan people. As a laugh, given trickle down economics, the powers that be will start hurting, eventually. Their attempts to mitigate this by getting guys into their favoured places, is pretty laughable. Like, how much money is this worth? You're backpackers and your guys coming here for the sex thing are the real money earners.

2 hours ago, rott said:

Well I've learnt a new word, but even after googling it and reading the definition a few times I'm no clearer on the meaning. 

Perhaps the passage of time will help. 

Only jacko45k knows the definition. Since he does, or once thought he did after a few Changs, I simply parroted it back to him for a laugh.????

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Surprised to see that the Khao Man Gai shop on Soi Buakhao, known to many as 'Tin Cup' is closed.

Would be shocked if it was for good.

Is that the one at the junction with South Pattaya road  that opens after the motorbike shop shuts ?

51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just did a circuit round Central Pattaya, one of my go to massage shops on Klang has closed, furniture gone, also a complex bar in Buakhao just down from Diana which might have been called Pook has also closed

Confirmed Pook closed, read it elsewhere. Last one had plans to close as the penultimate one packed up!

On Soi new Plaza, these are now closed. The far left one has been closed for a year+, the Indian tailor closed recently, massage shop to the right about 9 months ago and the far right massage shop closed recently.

On the other side of the road, Market Cafe is still open, som tam shop and Thai food shop both closed but have been replaced already 

IMG_20200929_162423.jpg

5 hours ago, champers said:

That will please the burger joint next door (used to be The Butchers Arms), presuming that is still going.

Prime Burger.... I saw the owner standing infront and I kinda felt he was 'looking for custom', as I went past into Hungry Hippo. This was a few weeks back and I wonder if they are still OK. Good burgers, but just a little pricier than the usual passing traffic spend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Thread is about closures, not whether busy or otherwise.

Strange comment since you posted an advert for a new burger place opening on the previous page.?  ????????.   But yes let's stick to closures, yourself included. 

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just did a circuit round Central Pattaya, one of my go to massage shops on Klang has closed, furniture gone, also a complex bar in Buakhao just down from Diana which might have been called Pook has also closed

Mainly ladyboys, who have been hit particularly hard. Pharmacys are reporting a gaping hole in the KY jelly market.

Edited by polpott
  • Haha 1