Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Prime Burger.... I saw the owner standing infront and I kinda felt he was 'looking for custom', as I went past into Hungry Hippo. This was a few weeks back and I wonder if they are still OK. Good burgers, but just a little pricier than the usual passing traffic spend.

Prime Burger has done much much better than I ever thought it would......Their burgers are not inexpensive but pretty good quality.....They were doing really good pre-Covid,not sure about now?

Mcdonalds never really did great there....They never had more than a few customers in all the times I went in there...I only buy the el-chepo plain hamburgers on rare occasions.... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Mcdonalds never really did great there....They never had more than a few customers in all the times I went in there...I only buy the el-chepo plain hamburgers on rare occasions.... 

I like a McD breakfast, Egg McMuffin with sausage, good coffee too. But that is all.... must go into prime burger instead of Hungry Hippo next opportunity. Many places are struggling....

Edited by jacko45k

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I like a McD breakfast, Egg McMuffin with sausage, good coffee too. But that is all.... must go into prime burger instead of Hungry Hippo next opportunity. Many places are struggling....

Prime burger was doing a 199 burger deal before 4pm, still not competitive though when you can get a good meal from HH for around 129 baht sometimes 99 baht, plus large beer for 65

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Prime burger was doing a 199 burger deal before 4pm, still not competitive though when you can get a good meal from HH for around 129 baht sometimes 99 baht, plus large beer for 65

My favourite meal at HH is the large cod with chips and mushy peas, I think that is about 240 baht. Not found much else bar Sunday roast I go for. 

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

My favourite meal at HH is the large cod with chips and mushy peas, I think that is about 240 baht. Not found much else bar Sunday roast I go for. 

You're so HISO. The pork chop mash veg gravy is good, Madras chicken curry is good, Chilli con carni usually good but last time was more like mince meat on rice. I'm not a fan of fish and chips in Thailand usually too oily. Beef stew was good. Easier to say what isn't good. Cheese burger and chips I had a few weeks ago was poor

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

You're so HISO. The pork chop mash veg gravy is good, Madras chicken curry is good, Chilli con carni usually good but last time was more like mince meat on rice. I'm not a fan of fish and chips in Thailand usually too oily. Beef stew was good. Easier to say what isn't good. Cheese burger and chips I had a few weeks ago was poor

You are right, tried the curry once and it was good, just not a meal I fancy often.

Had disappointments with Chilli, bland, beef stew once, all fat and gristle and liver and bacon was all raw fatty bacon. Fed up of pork in Thailand.....let me know any others you think worth a try.

17 hours ago, hereforgood said:

Maybe but the owner Pete posted they were never even close to breaking even 

I agree with you, the Beer Garden opened long before Hooters decided to reopen and it wasn't pullling a profitable crowd back then. Other than the Hopf House, which attracts young moneyed Thai customers, I don't think any Beach Road bars or restaurants can be breaking even at the moment

I'd class Hooters in the same bracket as Hard Rock and maybe Gullivers, busy weekends can't support their overheads. 

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

Other than the Hopf House, which attracts young moneyed Thai customers, I don't think any Beach Road bars or restaurants can be breaking even at the moment

Hops Brew House, not "Hopf." Maesriruen just down from CentralFestival seems to be doing OK. I usually see farangs in there as well. We dare not offend the Commonwealth by mentioning the two Burger Kings on Beach Rd. But I haven't been in either, so I dunno.

Edited by BigStar

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I was under the impression that double burger meal was 295B before 4pm???

On 9/29/2020 at 1:04 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Surprised to see that the Khao Man Gai shop on Soi Buakhao, known to many as 'Tin Cup' is closed.

Would be shocked if it was for good.

If that "Tin Cup restaurant" on Soi Baukhao closes down, it makes you wonder how many high end tourists dined there.  ???? 

The next level down is the street food carts.  They will need some extra tables and stools to set up on the footpaths.  

On 9/29/2020 at 5:08 PM, scubascuba3 said:

On Soi new Plaza, these are now closed. The far left one has been closed for a year+, the Indian tailor closed recently, massage shop to the right about 9 months ago and the far right massage shop closed recently.

On the other side of the road, Market Cafe is still open, som tam shop and Thai food shop both closed but have been replaced already 

IMG_20200929_162423.jpg

How many of these types of commercial premises will be able to attract a new tenant in the next 2 to 3 years, minimum? 

Many buildings here will remain closed, well after the world has been declared safe from Covid.      

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Hearing a lot of chatter that Royal Garden Shopping Mall are considering closing.

They could possibly sell the land for a pretty penny either for a new mall or some high rise condo that the Chinese snap up like hot cakes (steamed dumplings)

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Yeah, they changed the name from German to English when it started getting flooded with Chinese. I stopped going at that point, but I guess it's good again.

Change of management. Evidently you're unaware that it's impossible that Chinese have ever even been in Hops, let alone "flooded." Chinese only come in on the zero baht tours that were outlawed in 2016, don't spend, and only spend in Chinese-owned businesses, which the Hops assuredly isn't.

Apply bigotry to real targets, man, to bring the chorus. Fortunately our ace TVF Economists have authoritative expertise regarding Chinese tourism, derived from years of intensive analysis. You'll need to study their highly informed postings more carefully.

So it's always been good, though it may well have got better after you stopped going, true.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

Change of management. Evidently you're unaware that it's impossible that Chinese have ever even been in Hops, let alone "flooded." Chinese only come in on the zero baht tours that were outlawed in 2016, don't spend, and only spend in Chinese-owned businesses, which the Hops assuredly isn't.

Apply bigotry to real targets, man, to bring the chorus. Our ace TVF Economists have authoritative expertise regarding Chinese tourism, derived from years of intense analysis. You'll need to study their highly informed postings more carefully.

So it's always been good, though it may well have got better after you stopped going, true.

The only thing I have seen the Chinese buy is Mama noodles from 7-11.......I think even the Indians far outspend the Chinese...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

How many of these types of commercial premises will be able to attract a new tenant in the next 2 to 3 years, minimum? 

Many buildings here will remain closed, well after the world has been declared safe from Covid.      

Heap of "new" ones near me that have been vacant for a year atleast, Going to enquire what they are worth to rent as I need a mancave.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

The only thing I have seen the Chinese buy is Mama noodles from 7-11.......I think even the Indians far outspend the Chinese...

There ya go, and we're back to regular programming. I suppose that when one's anti-Chinese bigotry hasn't been indulged recently enough to sustain one's confidence in his own superiority, he simply imagines he sees Chinese in place of Thais. If not, then mere Thais will do. Plenty of those around still.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Evidently you're unaware that it's impossible that Chinese have ever even been in Hops, let alone "flooded."

I used to go there often until it got flooded with Chinese. First hand experience.

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Who said Mcdonalds Bucow was going to close.....Oct 1 and they are still open,at least they were 10 minutes ago....

The one in Soi Buakhao next to the Prime Burger place was all in darkness and locked up when I passed at 18.35.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This new motorcycle parking by walking street will be handy

It was a parking  spot before they setup the makeshift pumps and later the office huts overseeing  the beach widening project.