Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

12 hours ago, jastheace said:

ok. i lived near there in the day. it's X-zite. been there many a time. best was lo-so of course. grammar nazi's can rest in peace. thanks rott.

I can only plead PWP. 

But I must add that there is no apostrophe in a plural. Sorry about that. ????????????

Edited by rott

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just did a circuit around Pattaya, went somewhere different for a massage etc, chose a side Soi off Buakhao, girl said I was her first customer for 2 weeks, no wonder they are closing 

I was the first customer for a week at one place not off the beaten track in that area, yet yesterday as I entered another (traditional) place, I was shocked to see 2 customers already in there. I really do not know how many stay open. 

33 restaurant, on the corner of Soi 33 and Naklua Road, closed a couple of months ago but Pit Bull Food is now getting ready to open on the site. Pit Bull bar, accross the soi, is well known and is popular with mostly Germans. It is about now and into November that many Germans and other Europeans start arriving for a 5 or 6 month stay. Maybe the Pit Bull owners are being optimistic or maybe they know something is afoot. 

Either way, I hope things turn out well for them.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 6:05 PM, champers said:

It is about now and into November that many Germans and other Europeans start arriving for a 5 or 6 month stay.

Snowbirds were in decline last season.  I think they with be scarce this season, to the point of hardly being noticed.  This will be due to the many reasons already discussed, but I would say the entry requirements would be the main reason.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Snowbirds were in decline last season.  I think they with be scarce this season, to the point of hardly being noticed.  This will be due to the many reasons already discussed, but I would say the entry requirements would be the main reason.  

When I posted I meant in pre-Covid times of course. There are always plenty of Germans round that area; even now; and their bars and restaurants are still going, that I can see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

When I posted I meant in pre-Covid times of course. There are always plenty of Germans round that area; even now; and their bars and restaurants are still going, that I can see.

Yesterday 11 pm. Soi LK Metro - some bars closed but otherwise a lot of action. Zero Bar around the corner in Soi Buakhao with the 40 Baht offer for any beer - full. Other bars / areas there were pretty empty. 

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

There will be no snowbirds this year. How would they get into the country. Most rely on the non O with border runs.

2 hours ago, polpott said:

There will be no snowbirds this year. How would they get into the country. Most rely on the non O with border runs.

They could get that new visa recently created, but I doubt many will bother.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

They could get that new visa recently created, but I doubt many will bother.  

Latest reports seem to indicate that its not available to the countries that most of the snowbirds come from. The ones that I know seem to live on a budget. With the cost of everything and the hoops that they are required to jump through, they'll give it a miss this year.

13 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Completely new operation.

Devils Den will open in a new location which has yet to be revealed.

Difficult time to be starting a new operation.  They must have n interesting lease contract.   

Devils Den would have to be relocating somewhere not too far from the Soi Baukhao / LK Metro area, otherwise, no point opening up.   

On 10/9/2020 at 6:27 PM, Oldie said:

Yesterday 11 pm. Soi LK Metro - some bars closed but otherwise a lot of action. Zero Bar around the corner in Soi Buakhao with the 40 Baht offer for any beer - full. Other bars / areas there were pretty empty. 

and the police closed absolutely everything at 12, not even the selected few few that have remained open after 12 were open, everything was completely shut down, really good idea when all these places are struggling for what few customers are left

2 hours ago, AbeNormal said:

and the police closed absolutely everything at 12, not even the selected few few that have remained open after 12 were open, everything was completely shut down, really good idea when all these places are struggling for what few customers are left

I know one of bar-keeps on LK & he said that the cops didn't actually close the bars at 12, they went around on a bike afterwards with a camera & filmed the bars that were still open for a few nights in a row then fined them for each night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SidJames said:

I know one of bar-keeps on LK & he said that the cops didn't actually close the bars at 12, they went around on a bike afterwards with a camera & filmed the bars that were still open for a few nights in a row then fined them for each night.

Did they fine farang and Thai owned bars, or just farang owned bars?  

2 hours ago, AbeNormal said:

This is the law. But I am surprised that this happened. Some bars had live music every night until almost 3 in the morning - for months despite the law. And others just were not so brave to make so much noise but still were open. Great job. Otherwise the law needs to be removed if it is not enforced. In respect of customers - these bars often don't have many. They simply are not used to care about laws. And sometimes excessive noise is used to tell everyone - hey, here you still can get drinks. Come to us. Selling alcohol is also not allowed at this late hour because of the emergency decree if I remember correctly. But from my experience this obeying often does not last very long anyway after such police checks...

5 hours ago, AbeNormal said:

and the reason for this is apparently the powers that be are trying to punish farang (westerners) because of a recent news item from Germany

oh I feel a revolution coming, I think the Thai people are fed up being ruled by the army and their unelected people in power 

yes they go out and vote in elections but then then people running the country are not elected, nobody voted for them

That is not democracy - not even close

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SidJames said:

they closed them, even Thai bars, when is a bar not open ? when it is closed and I mean closed

9 hours ago, SidJames said:

Everyone's getting pinged unless they pass the envelope, the coffers are empty so no favours for anyone.

Brown envelopes - there would be none if these business owners would follow the laws. They try to bribe the police so that they don't have to care about the laws. The main problem here are the business owners that use brown envelopes so that they can do who they want. They need to be removed. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Oldie said:

This is the law. But I am surprised that this happened. Some bars had live music every night until almost 3 in the morning - for months despite the law.

I wish the BIB would do a tour of 3rd road near the Fire Station....Thai owned bars staying open with music blaring out into the early hours  :sad:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, petermik said:

I wish the BIB would do a tour of 3rd road near the Fire Station....Thai owned bars staying open with music blaring out into the early hours  :sad:

Call the City Hall hotline 1337 then dial 9 for English and you can complain 24 hours every day. They will not ask for you name or address. It might not change much but if nobody complains nothing will happen for sure. So it is a good idea to motivate other victims to complain too. They normally call the police afterwards. Legal closing time now is midnight because of the emergency decree.

• Like 1