Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

Not sure what The Nightwish Group think is going to happen in 3 or 4 months time.  Certainly not enough to sustain their 25 bars.  

Sales of gai and moo yang not doing so well?

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

18 hours ago, polpott said:

Some bars are literally heaving with girls. Crazy. I watched a very recent video of a guy doing a walk through of Soi 6 around dusk, usually a busy time for that Soi. He counted 8 customers, not in one bar, in the whole Soi. NWG must be bleeding money like a stuck pig.

On my walkabouts town, during an hour or two, I'll see maybe a couple dozen Western expats or stranded tourists. Not much for western oriented businesses to pull from.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

On my walkabouts town, during an hour or two, I'll see maybe a couple dozen Western expats or stranded tourists. Not much for western oriented businesses to pull from.

I would say the only area/street doing a little bit ok is Soi Bukow..

• Like 2

I still see a number of Indian restaurants open on 2nd road near Walking Street.......I don't quite get the point of staying open when you have zero customers night after night month after month........ Most expats have never and will never eat at these places.....  

4 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I still see a number of Indian restaurants open on 2nd road near Walking Street.......I don't quite get the point of staying open when you have zero customers night after night month after month........ Most expats have never and will never eat at these places.....  

Lots of Indian business owners in Patts...maybe they eat there. The stretch of Second Road from the Wat Chaimonkel intersection towards the Pratumnak flyover is one of the most forlorn in town...90% of all the businesses appear closed.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

except committed mongers

Once your prediction is realised (I believe you've got it spot on) many bars will have closed and most of the girls will have disappeared and most mongers will wait for that scene to pick up again before making their journeys.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

The next big round of business closing will come January 2021 when its time to renew leases.......Some businesses maybe open now but no way they can/will take out a new lease....

Aren't most leases starting / expiring in April?    

19 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

So tourists numbers will only creep up slowly for months once the borders are open and maybe a couple years to begin to approach pre-pandemic levels. 

I agree.

You can turn tourism off like a tap, by closuring your boarders.  You can't turn tourism 0on like a tap.  There are too many other variables.

I would say more like 2 years, after a vaccine, to approach western pre Covid tourism here.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, polpott said:

Once your prediction is realised (I believe you've got it spot on) many bars will have closed and most of the girls will have disappeared and most mongers will wait for that scene to pick up again before making their journeys.

That's the "chicken and egg" scenario I have mentioned.

The mongers will not come back to Pattaya until the girls come back, and the girls will not come back Pattaya until the mongers come back.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That's the "chicken and egg" scenario I have mentioned.

The mongers will not come back to Pattaya until the girls come back, and the girls will not come back Pattaya until the mongers come back.  

There will always be girls about and they need work so will head back as soon as they get the message, I see them posting on Facebook asking. Plenty now anyway

• Like 1

Just now, redwood1 said:

Well I think some lease renewals happen in January and some in April...Just to be safe, I will say at the first part of next year...lol

I think around Feb, when high season, if any, which is looking unlikely, can be assessed.

We can expect to see a second round of closures.   

Most of my favourite places, or places I frequent often, are surviving, and I hope they continue to do so, but they are hurting.  

• Like 1

Just now, Leaver said:

Most of my favourite places, or places I frequent often, are surviving, and I hope they continue to do so, but they are hurting.  

I mostly hang around the Darkside. its been less affected due to the number of expats here. However, the snowbirds have not returned which gave the Darkside its high season, along with a percentage of tourists/people visiting family. Without these it will be a low, low season until this has ended. Even Darkside businesses are hurting but after a year of this the pain may well be too much for many of them.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

There will always be girls about and they need work so will head back as soon as they get the message, I see them posting on Facebook asking. Plenty now anyway

I think many will be cautious of the "message" they receive. 

I also think many bars will move to the freelance business model for the girls until approaching pre Covid tourist numbers.  Some bars may keep this business model forever.  

Without a "show up to work" salary, many girls will not be coming back to Pattaya in a hurry.

21 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I also think many bars will move to the freelance business model for the girls until approaching pre Covid tourist numbers.  Some bars may keep this business model forever.  

Without a "show up to work" salary, many girls will not be coming back to Pattaya in a hurry.

the bar fine / pay shop model seems to be on it's last legs at the moment, personally ladies are accepting an amount all in. As an expat I don't need to pay it

i suppose it's a death ground scenario. Do you give up and lose everything, or do you just carry on and hope for the best? Fortune favors the brave, as they say. Time will tell.The Western man finds solace in Pattaya, but it's a two end equation. It's not just about Pattaya opening up again, it's about guys having the money to come here. 

5 minutes ago, nausea said:

i suppose it's a death ground scenario. Do you give up and lose everything, or do you just carry on and hope for the best? Fortune favors the brave, as they say.

Difficult decision for many.  

Even if they can hang in the game, a new lease beckons for many owners before pre Covid normal returns. 

With no buyers for their current lease, I am not surprised to see many walk away.  

1 hour ago, polpott said:

I mostly hang around the Darkside. its been less affected due to the number of expats here. However, the snowbirds have not returned which gave the Darkside its high season, along with a percentage of tourists/people visiting family. Without these it will be a low, low season until this has ended. Even Darkside businesses are hurting but after a year of this the pain may well be too much for many of them.

Agree...but none of my favs have closed yet; some are really struggling, especially small guesthouse/restos like Dao Cafe. And then there is the odd outlier...try getting a table at Ae & Ek Steakhouse (Maprachan) at lunch or dinner.

• Like 1

I see the 24 hour Burger Deleted (BK) on Beach Road near Soi 8 has the door locked and curtains drawn. I guess another one bites the dust.  Also BK in the basement of Central Festival mall has disappeared. Only one BK on Beach Road remains at Royal Garden mall.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Difficult decision for many.  

Even if they can hang in the game, a new lease beckons for many owners before pre Covid normal returns. 

With no buyers for their current lease, I am not surprised to see many walk away.  

Looks like some business owners have already done a runner...

Some Pattaya businesses have quit and run

A tragic aspect of the collapse of tourism in Pattaya is the sight of closed down shop units with piles of uncollected post and a clutch of unpaid utility bills taped on the padlocked doors.  https://www.pattayamail.com/news/some-pattaya-businesses-have-quit-and-run-330867

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I see the 24 hour Burger Deleted (BK) on Beach Road near Soi 8 has the door locked and curtains drawn. I guess another one bites the dust.  Also BK in the basement of Central Festival mall has disappeared. Only one BK on Beach Road remains at Royal Garden mall.

BurgerKing Central is gone? Are you sure? It was there a few weeks ago....

BurgerKing is way better than Mcdonalds...

Edited by redwood1

7 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

BurgerKing Central is gone? Are you sure? It was there a few weeks ago....

It was reported over a week ago in this thread (Page 557) so this would appear to confirm it.

Edited by treetops

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

They will be back . Getting a real job is impossible . 

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Lots of Indian business owners in Patts...maybe they eat there. The stretch of Second Road from the Wat Chaimonkel intersection towards the Pratumnak flyover is one of the most forlorn in town...90% of all the businesses appear closed.

Well I hope all you guys like Indian food because after all the restaurants in Pattaya have gone out of business.... The only restaurants left standing will be all the Indian restaurants....lol

The Indian restaurants need no customers to be successful...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

The only restaurants left standing will be all the Indian restaurants....lol

The Indian restaurants need no customers to be successful...

Subsidized by all the tourists buying new suits at their tailor shops...oh wait ????????????