BANGKOK
Leaver

Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Subway survives just fine.... 

Great American Sandwich had other issues.

The Great American Sandwich microwaved their sandwiches including the bread........I ate there once and I was one and done......

Subway is better.....But Subways cheapest sandwich now cost 99 baht and a footlong is about 200 baht.....So I don't go there much any more... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Could be something to do with the farang rent prices and T-money 

Correct.

It's the Thai landlords that have slowly but surely made Pattaya uncompetitive in the tourism market, when compared to neighboring countries.

Their high rents are passed onto consumers, and they have pushed the western marker to breaking point, possibly past breaking point, as we saw this past high season, pre virus. 

Compare food and beverage for tourists here to Vietnam, for example, and it's not hard to see why Vietnam's tourism increased 28% while Pattaya had one of the quietest high seasons for westerners ever, pre virus.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

The Great American Sandwich microwaved their sandwiches including the bread........I ate there once and I was one and done......

Subway is better.....But Subways cheapest sandwich now cost 99 baht and a footlong is about 200 baht.....So I don't go there much any more... 

I get a footlong and a bottle of water, usually for a few coppers under 200 baht.. but one of the cheaper options. 

Subaway is marginal at 59 THB for a six inch, that seemed to be about four inches in Patts.  Globally, they are in trouble.  Too bad that Pizza Slut is now inedible..not just because of the hot dog and fake seafood toppings, but they changed the sauce to Thai style by making it into a sugary disgust.  

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

Correct.

It's the Thai landlords that have slowly but surely made Pattaya uncompetitive in the tourism market, when compared to neighboring countries.

Their high rents are passed onto consumers, and they have pushed the western marker to breaking point, possibly past breaking point, as we saw this past high season, pre virus. 

Compare food and beverage for tourists here to Vietnam, for example, and it's not hard to see why Vietnam's tourism increased 28% while Pattaya had one of the quietest high seasons for westerners ever, pre virus.

For sure - plus the fact a foreigner can’t be an owner operator which would free up at least 3 useless wages on the books . 

Abusive troll comment and response to it removed.

6 hours ago, moontang said:

Subaway is marginal at 59 THB for a six inch, that seemed to be about four inches in Patts.  Globally, they are in trouble.

They must be using the cheapest of ingredients to be selling a sandwich at that price, I will be passing on that!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CGW said:

They must be using the cheapest of ingredients to be selling a sandwich at that price, I will be passing on that!

They're not.  The correct prices are in post #1186 (the top of this page for now).

44 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Another change of heart by Patrick?

A few people in the bar trade are predicting that date for the bars reopening and alcohol being served in restaurants.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

A few people in the bar trade are predicting that date for the bars reopening and alcohol being served in restaurants.

I will drink the gel!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Leaver said:

One of the Subway shops is for sale, but I was told none of them were doing any good, pre virus. 

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/1202070-great-pattaya-restaurant-and-bar-in-high-foot-traffic-area-314251

When the subways had their sub of the day for 69 baht they were doing good business...And when the sub of the day price was raised to 79 baht they were still doing ok......But when the sub of the day went to 89 baht I noticed business fell off a cliff....Now a small sub cost 99 baht for the cheapest one......People just dont like to pay 100 baht for half a sub...

And Thais just are not huge fans of subway overall thoe some like it....And now subway has no farang tourist only cheap charley expats...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2