Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

On 11/4/2020 at 12:25 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Thought it was closed for good, but I see Area 51 on Soi Diana Inn has re-opened.

122831642_996183910846167_7959940079201937092_n.jpg.acac5ac49c604a29966788e295368347.jpg

Don't know how many are attracted by the "House music". 

Sorry kinyara, yes I know :(........... 

Not like the video was filmed early morning either even though he had a breakfast :)) , I passed Witherspoons the other day around 1pm ish and the staff were just opening the place up. In the short term at least I think he's got a Pattaya Beer Garden sized problem there. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nick says he is still paying rent on his bar and it's closed, not sure that's wise

I agree the money could be better spent on his other bar or some more investment in his good live streams .

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 4:39 PM, polpott said:

Well its still very American but would 100% have eaten in there last night had I known about it. Was in Darkside Evolution and starving. Nothing nearby so ended up eating in a new bar owned by an Aussie, had egg bacon and beans and could swear he'd cooked everything on the barbie.

Will give it a try next time. I've always wondered what grits were like but never had the chance to try them.

If you try grits and find them boring, lots of sugar is how I, and many people like them. Unhealthy, I know.

Makes me miss my trips to the South and visits to Waffle House!

1 minute ago, frantick said:

If you try grits and find them boring, lots of sugar is how I, and many people like them. Unhealthy, I know.

Makes me miss my trips to the South and visits to Waffle House!

Heard the ad on 103FM yesterday so drove up to try it out. Not open until Friday.

Really nice looking place, authentic diner but buried under the flyover at the far end of Soi Siam.

2 hours ago, polpott said:

Beer bar complexes are history. No one wants to sit at a bar with the girls corralled inside an out of reach of the customers, except for playing jinga and connect 4. Soi 6 style bars and the new wave of GCs are the future.

imo there is not a big difference between a bar in a complex and one in Soi 6

both are history

The GC have a niche clientele

i don't see what could be the future ''Pattaya model''

the city doesn't have a lot to offer apart what it was

an abundant cheap sex market with young hot girls

3 hours ago, polpott said:

Beer bar complexes are history. No one wants to sit at a bar with the girls corralled inside an out of reach of the customers, except for playing jinga and connect 4. Soi 6 style bars and the new wave of GCs are the future.

Well the new wave of soi 6 style bars are all devoid of customers too. But I agree about GCs being a new fad, usually cheaper fun! Mostly shop house places I saw closed soi 7 area, well on sois leading in. 

I just read that the Pattaya Police obviously allows officially that the bars in the Walking Street and Soi LK Metro can be open until 2 am. I know that some bars and discos didn't care much and were open until 3 and longer. But I am wondering that the Pattaya Police can cancel the validity of the emergency decree. I have thought this is always valid nationwide. 

"For bars, operating hours remain a limit to some degree. The law of the land under the coronavirus emergency decree still requires nightlife venues to stop selling alcohol and close at midnight. But Pattaya’s police force has allowed Walking Street and Soi LK Metro bars to remain open until 2 a.m. Thai venues also have seen some leniency."

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattayas-nightlife-sees-weekend-upswing-but-overall-scene-bleak-332357

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Young and hot ? Maybe to a pensioner . The vast majority these days are overweight and old . The best days are behind them . 

As i said it was how the ''legend'' and the Pattaya brand's have been build. in the first years

i agree with you year after year, particularly since they all have an iphone, they were older,

fatter, less hot and more expensive

hence the plunge in the last 5\10 years in the classics bars customers numbers

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

i have missed nothing

what you see on the photos is a real estate bubble being build

all these empty condos, hotels and shopping malls have no any use except to feed the greed of an

handfull of ''happy few''. and i honestly hope this covid crisis will be a real pain for all of them

and a kind of ''back to earth''

unfortunately i doubt it will hapen

I share your sentiment. The longer it goes on the worse their position becomes.

It's going to be a lot worse for the "happy few" once the peasants start revolting and the banks start calling in their debt. 

We are only a few months away from it I reckon. At the tipping point now and there's another 18 to 36 months of no mass tourism to cope with so it's going to get a lot worse from here on in.

The galaxy brain move would have been to get rid of your tourism related business or walk in March. Loads haven't, hoping for a miracle. 

Miracles don't happen though.

Poor risk assessment if you are still sitting on a tourism related business at this stage. 

• Like 1

Some off topic posts and replies have been removed.

Please stop trying to hijack the topic with your personal agenda, the topic is about:

Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2020 at 11:55 AM, kinyara said:

The " Regular Haunts That Survived"  thread is for re-openings as they have  survived and new openings shouldn't even appear on this imminent closure/closure thread. 

I take your point, but given many new openings go into the premises of a closing, I think it's still on topic in this thread.      

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:25 AM, polpott said:

Another urban myth. They don't. One lived next door to me with his family when I first rented in Pattaya. House was worth around 1.5m baht.

OK so he did not have the BMW in the driveway... but how do you know about his investment properties and Mia Noi's ?

On 11/4/2020 at 10:36 PM, kingofthemountain said:

This video shows the devastation in the soi 7 and 8, a sad sight

on a side note the farang guy who opened Whitherspoons on beach road

(At the begining of the video) fews weeks ago is probably the most optimist

actually in the city, or he has informations we don't have (Or a lot of money to lose)

the renovation of the establishment is nice and the location is good, unfortunately

the lack of customers is the main problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgyvZN89iaw

I think he'll be running at a loss for at least 2 years, and I doubt he'll be able to recoup that loss within the term of his current lease. Granted, I don't know how long his lease is. 

Difficult decision for many here.  At what point do you stop throwing good money after bad?    

• Like 2

On 11/5/2020 at 6:00 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Nick says he is still paying rent on his bar and it's closed, not sure that's wise

Even if he can stay in the game, the Soi has been devastated.  Not that Soi's 7 and 8 were doing any good pre covid. 

Some Thai landlords are taking their tenants to court over unpaid rent.  He may be in a position where he either pays, or absconds, and leaves Thailand.     

On 11/5/2020 at 6:58 AM, jacko45k said:

I went through yesterday, so many shuttered places and 'For Rent' signs, desperate times.

They look like they are waiting for the last leases to expire before the whole block is redeveloped.  Of course, that's not the case, but that's what they look like.

On 11/5/2020 at 1:15 PM, chrisandsu said:

Young and hot ? Maybe to a pensioner . The vast majority these days are overweight and old . The best days are behind them . 

Many young and hot ones freelance now, mainly working off apps.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

They look like they are waiting for the last leases to expire before the whole block is redeveloped.  Of course, that's not the case, but that's what they look like.

I was passing by a block where my dentist is, will see it again Monday, but that area was dying years before Covid. Had a pal had 2 BBs there, then one, then none. 

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I was passing by a block where my dentist is, will see it again Monday, but that area was dying years before Covid. Had a pal had 2 BBs there, then one, then none. 

Yes, it was dying, pre covid.  Probably because most bars on those Soi's were outdoor beer bars.