Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

The food court on Pattaya Klang is just hanging on....Most of the food booths have packed up and left.....Only one section is now in operation...28038.thumb.jpg.dfbb4f43355369848a2aa709f76a44ee.jpg

28036.jpg.f59da0328da0d8af15a536454c005307.jpg

28035.jpg.d0f0d3ad5c3c0bf413d73881fd1221fb.jpg

28034.jpg.616213d91ba0d8a4a060f27a9a20dc7e.jpg

28033.jpg.091b2b01dd4f24ab84bd501a06683b5f.jpg 

This place was empty pre covid, prices were out of whack, even staff said to me prices too high

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This place was empty pre covid, prices were out of whack, even staff said to me prices too high

They raised all the prices a few years ago.....Before this prices were quite ok...The big cooked fish were the main offenders of the price increase.....It was/is still ok as long as the inflationary fish are avoided.... 

Edited by redwood1

On 11/9/2020 at 6:30 PM, redwood1 said:

They raised all the prices a few years ago.....Before this prices were quite ok...The big cooked fish were the main offenders of the price increase.....It was/is still ok as long as the inflationary fish are avoided.... 

So, they raised "all" the prices a few years ago, but it's the fish's fault.  ????     

Could a rent increase have something to do with the prices rises, and subsequent demise of the complex? 

20 minutes ago, Leaver said:

So, they raised "all" the prices a few years ago, but it's the fish's fault.  ????     

Could a rent increase have something to do with the prices rises, and subsequent demise of the complex? 

All prices were raised but the fish prices were really jack-up.....

I guess the current situation is they were not willing to lower the food stalls rent to match their lack of income so they sent them packing...Many of those food stalls had been there since forever so it must have been a huge undertaking to move all their stuff out...

I believe there is enough business for the remaining 2 or 3  food stalls.... 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 10:59 PM, Leaver said:

It's not just in covid time this happens.  

An owner could be running a successful business here, with competitive pricing.  The Thai landlord increases the rent, and not by an amount that reflects inflation, or the higher value of the location, but just because he can. 

Maybe a business owner can absorb some of the increase, but ultimately, it's passed onto the consumer, and that's expats, and tourists.  So now it's 70 or 80 baht a beer, but no improvement to the building, infrastructure, service, and amenities in Pattaya.  Now, this bar can't compete with the bar next door offering 60 baht beers, so it goes broke.   Eventually, the other bar suffers the same fate, but ultimately, it's tourism that declines due to unjustifiable prices in the region.  We saw how low the past high season was, pre covid.  The Thai landlords finally pushed the market beyond what it was prepared to pay.     

Picture the above for F & B, accommodation, mafia controlled land transport, and tourists activities, and add in Thai Business 101 - "money go down, put price up" and you can see why Pattaya landlords are outpricing Pattaya in the South East Asia tourism market.   

human greed

• Like 2

Quite right, let's get back to the matter in hand. 

Can anyone forecast an upcoming closure. The remaining "front line" bar in the complex near Kiss Food has closed, strangely there is still one bar open deep in the guts of the place. 

Wonderful 2 and the Meeting Place surely cannot stagger on for much longer. The small beer bar complex on Soi Diana below the Kiss arcade only seems to have the Cherry bar (or is it Cherries?) doing anything, understanding landowners or deep and optimistic pockets there. 

My limited regular bars seem OK for the near future. 

Not sure what the motivation is for staying open without customers. Possibly tied to a lease and lose less money by opening than closing. 

But the block on visitors seems to be flaking a bit at the edges, tourist visa now, 10 days quarantine for some. It is still possible that in time for the peak weeks there will be further easing, possibly reducing the 500k and/or quarantine time. But the time is getting very close. It is unlikely but stranger things have happened and the govt are unpredictable.........How long does it take for the STV and the CoE to go through.?

10 hours ago, jastheace said:

the cherry bar has an online presence. as do about 10 pattaya bars, and growing. a few 'vloggers' or 'ebeggars' doing the rounds in MiT complex also. good luck to the former, it's keeping their heads above water at the moment. not keen on the latter, one vlogger in particular keen to line his own pockets.

forecast an upcoming closure? crikey.... roll the dice....

one bar owner ( in soi diamond),has stated the end of the year will be interesting. that's when the 'entertainment license' is due. it's not cheap from what i gather. 

so the forecast.... any bar not online, any bar without a dedicated hardcore customer base at present. want me to be more specific.... ? i don't want to be too negative, but ..... open air bars in complexes were tourist traps, any remainers may find the coffers empty come 1st jan 2021. 

not fair to name names atm, imo, how 'bout you @rott?  crystal ball time. 

S7 and S8 pretty much gone. beach road beyond quiet. walking street more like tip toe street. 

any left along beach road and 2nd road between klang and tai may be next....

it's over.

it will take several years for the entertainment industry to recover as the western world has economically suffered a lot during this pandemic and its further effects yet to be seen next a few years.. On the other hand the "online bar" concept will not survive either as these "bar customers" will soon realize they are just  buying drinks to a 13" flat screen and there is no human interaction whatsoever.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

it's over.

it will take several years for the entertainment industry to recover as the western world has economically suffered a lot during this pandemic and its further effects yet to be seen next a few years.. On the other hand the "online bar" concept will not survive either as these "bar customers" will soon realize they are just  buying drinks to a 13" flat screen and there is no human interaction whatsoever.

8 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

At one point the guys are going to give up on the virtuals lady drinks 

and decide to fly to another place

they probably won't need to travel anywhere. the unemployment and desperation will create local prostitution in most of the countries they are in. The history of mankind has hundreds of examples of this sort

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Afaik the quarantine is still 15 days for all.

10 days was discussed but finaly rejected.

The numbers of people coming in october are ridiculous

and most of them aren't the usual customers of the Pattaya bars

(People with family in the sticks, or work\business in Bangkok)

i don't see any ''normal tourist'' in his right mind jump in all the actual hoops

with the actual cost of the whole circus for ending in a depressing city

where 60 to 80% of the venues are closed

I did read somewhere that low risk countries were having quarantine reduced to 10 days. Might be happening, might not. 

12 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Afaik the quarantine is still 15 days for all.

10 days was discussed but finaly rejected.

My gut feeling is that the Thai Hoteliers Association had something to do with keeping it at 15 days, do you really think that after an extended period of little or no business that the selected hotels would want to forego multiples of 5 days of occupancy ?? I think not.

Back on topic: I have seen the empty bars and restaurants in the aforementioned sois, and the boarded and shuttered places & it is very very sad however, I drink at a small mom n pop shop close to where I live, no driving involved, with a few friends & the prices are great, a large Archa 55 Baht, I'm not complaining.

Edited by Golden Triangle
Word missing
  • Like 2