Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

14 minutes ago, polpott said:

Currently staying in the Areca Lodge. Used to be the mainstay of American tourists but more recently noisy and badly behaved Indians.

Small number of guests now, 80% Thai. Breakfast used to be good, now same as a 2 star buffet breakfast in an Issan hotel. mostly Thai food and meager and badly cooked Western food. How anyone can burn a fried egg on one side and leave it raw on the other is beyond me. 2nd and best pool closed. Hopefully farang tourists don't return anytime soon as they'll have a shock as to what their favourite haunts have turned into.

Don't get me wrong.I am not judging you.I am just curious. Why would anyone insist on traveling in this environment and stay at cheesy hotels with bad food and mostly Indian men as you stated? what is there to travel that people can't resist even though cities are only maybe 10% fun compare to how it was before, having to wear a mask almost anywhere therefore impossible to see people's faces, let alone the danger aspect of traveling

2 hours ago, polpott said:

its only 15 minutes from my house, hardly travelling. Before covid the food was great. I assumed (correctly) that there would be no Indian guests as currently no Indian tourists. In the last 24 hours, the only time I wore a mask was when checking in at reception. Had a great time last night around Soi Buakhao and Treetown. Masks are pretty much done in Pattaya.

The thrust of my post was that a formerly iconic and ferang centric hotel has morphed into a totally Thai centric hotel and may have problems when Western tourists start to trickle back in.

A lot of the Thais staying in hotels in Pattaya would normally take their holidays overseas. When Covid ends they will resume their trips abroad and overseas tourists to Thailand will occupy the rooms as before.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, polpott said:

Currently staying in the Areca Lodge. Used to be the mainstay of American tourists but more recently noisy and badly behaved Indians.

Small number of guests now, 80% Thai. Breakfast used to be good, now same as a 2 star buffet breakfast in an Issan hotel. mostly Thai food and meager and badly cooked Western food. How anyone can burn a fried egg on one side and leave it raw on the other is beyond me. 2nd and best pool closed. Hopefully farang tourists don't return anytime soon as they'll have a shock as to what their favourite haunts have turned into.

I would be changing hotel. Plenty of good options at knockdown prices.

19 hours ago, polpott said:

its only 15 minutes from my house, hardly travelling. Before covid the food was great. I assumed (correctly) that there would be no Indian guests as currently no Indian tourists. In the last 24 hours, the only time I wore a mask was when checking in at reception. Had a great time last night around Soi Buakhao and Treetown. Masks are pretty much done in Pattaya.

The thrust of my post was that a formerly iconic and ferang centric hotel has morphed into a totally Thai centric hotel and may have problems when Western tourists start to trickle back in.

I have frequently used the Areca during the last several months. It was never a mainstay of American tourists.....never saw an Indian recently. Pre Covid they were an issue at many places, I scrubbed The Mercure off my list because of that... Indian and Chinese groups were not the best fellow guests.  These  days there aren't any, and the Areca is fine. The breakfast was rubbish and included but as the place is super cheap it will be.... they have the buffet out for this weekend as it is a big Thai holiday. Plenty of better places around to go eat, and central to LK Metro and Buakhao nightlife... it was really a sex tourists place and has multiple large pools and 3 buildings of rooms. 

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have frequently used the Areca during the last several months. It was never a mainstay of American tourists.....never saw an Indian recently. Pre Covid they were an issue at many places, I scrubbed The Mercure off my list because of that... Indian and Chinese groups were not the best fellow guests.  These  days there aren't any, and the Areca is fine. The breakfast was rubbish and included but as the place is super cheap it will be.... they have the buffet out for this weekend as it is a big Thai holiday. Plenty of better places around to go eat, and central to LK Metro and Buakhao nightlife... it was really a sex tourists place and has multiple large pools and 3 buildings of rooms. 

Down to one pool and no sex tourists. Breakfast was very good a couple of years ago.

40 minutes ago, champers said:

Maybe look at recent reviews online. 

Admittedly I didn't look at reviews before booking as I know the hotel well and has undergone an extensive makeover since I was last there. However, had a look just now, very few reviews since Covid and only one mentioned poor breakfast and lack of pools.

Climax bar on the corner of soi buakhao and LK (opposite Sugar Sugar agogo) may well be closing next week. Live band, lots of out door seating, similar to Billabong.

Maybe a sign that even baukhao and LK with quite a lot of expat traffic doesn't seem to be viable. LK metro as been very quiet over the past couple weeks, especially on week days.

The only really busy bar around that area now is Zero bar but as I think as been mentioned we know why......40 baht a beer all night.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, polpott said:

Down to one pool and no sex tourists. Breakfast was very good a couple of years ago.

Yes one pool was closed off.... although your latter statement may not be completely true. I was the one shamefacedly at breakfast as my overnight companion stumbled to the congee urn in her ridiculously high heels and short shorts! Quite the bargain the Areca now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes one pool was closed off.... although your latter statement may not be completely true. I was the one shamefacedly at breakfast as my overnight companion stumbled to the congee urn in her ridiculously high heels and short shorts! Quite the bargain the Areca now.

true, I was the one shamefacedly at breakfast with the little spinner with the DD rack. 555

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mxer90 said:

The only really busy bar around that area now is Zero bar but as I think as been mentioned we know why......40 baht a beer all night.

Cheap charlies can lead the high-life on Soi Bukow......

Start your night by...

Taking a baht bus for 10 baht or better yet walk for free to get to the LK metro area..

Scope the area out for balloons and the smell of roasting pig.....If balloons can not be found settle on the nightly special at Hungry Hippo for 79 baht for your nightly feed...

Meetup your mates at Zero bar for a few rounds of 40 baht beers...

Next move the party to one of the GoGo bars, preferably the one with the 69 baht draft beer but if its a unlucky night you might have to pay as much as 79 baht.....

Make that draft beer last for a looooog time as you enjoy the nightly entertainment...

If you see a girl dancing you like give her a 20 baht tip...But make sure your roaming hands get their full money's worth......( Hey the girl is now 20 baht richer)

Then its back to Zero bar for a 40 baht nightcap before heading home....... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You seem to know all the cheap Charlie places to go and what to do. 

I don't go to those bars but why pay 100+ baht when you can pay 40? some bars may be worth it but most are samey 

Although my reality is stumbling out of Kink substantially the worse off financially. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Cheap charlies can lead the high-life on Soi Bukow......

Start your night by...

Taking a baht bus for 10 baht or better yet walk for free to get to the LK metro area..

Scope the area out for balloons and the smell of roasting pig.....If balloons can not be found settle on the nightly special at Hungry Hippo for 79 baht for your nightly feed...

Meetup your mates at Zero bar for a few rounds of 40 baht beers...

Next move the party to one of the GoGo bars, preferably the one with the 69 baht draft beer but if its a unlucky night you might have to pay as much as 79 baht.....

Make that draft beer last for a looooog time as you enjoy the nightly entertainment...

If you see a girl dancing you like give her a 20 baht tip...But make sure your roaming hands get their full money's worth......( Hey the girl is now 20 baht richer)

Then its back to Zero bar for a 40 baht nightcap before heading home....... 

At least they are spending money in the thai economy to hopefully keep some of these places afloat until us tourists can come back

What are you exactly doing with your money?

• Like 2