Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

On 11/21/2020 at 12:13 AM, mxer90 said:

Climax bar on the corner of soi buakhao and LK (opposite Sugar Sugar agogo) may well be closing next week. Live band, lots of out door seating, similar to Billabong.

Maybe a sign that even baukhao and LK with quite a lot of expat traffic doesn't seem to be viable. LK metro as been very quiet over the past couple weeks, especially on week days.

The only really busy bar around that area now is Zero bar but as I think as been mentioned we know why......40 baht a beer all night.

Buakhao seemed quiet last night, less foot traffic and road traffic than usual. 

Even Zero had some empty seats (as did my regular bar) though it was just turned midnight when I went past and possibly they had stopped serving. 

2 hours ago, rott said:

Buakhao seemed quiet last night, less foot traffic and road traffic than usual. 

Even Zero had some empty seats (as did my regular bar) though it was just turned midnight when I went past and possibly they had stopped serving

The rain didn't help

also for the one on a pension with a monthly paiement

(Usualy at the end or at the begining of the month) around

the 20\25 of the month few of them might start to be thin on money

Edited by kingofthemountain

On 11/13/2020 at 5:31 AM, scubascuba3 said:

That's a myth that keeps getting repeated, I'm sure some do it but I can't think of any places I go that have done that, for example massage shops with very few customers haven't hiked the prices

In covid times, we have even seen price reductions, but it is not a myth that when business goes down, Thai's raise their prices.  The theory is, "all farang have big money."  They have since discovered the glass ceiling of the "big money."   

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 3:17 PM, BigStar said:

The demonizing of all Thai landlords similarly appeals to the simple-minded unable to understand--or accept--that rents inevitably rise as land values increase.

And what increases the price of land here? The rents set by Thai landlords.  ????

The beach here is lousy.  The infrastructure is failing. There is only the sex trade, but that's available all over South East Asia, so as the Thai landlords keep raising rents, which is passed onto consumers, they continue to outprice Pattaya as a tourist destination.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2020 at 2:31 PM, rott said:

That is a real problem. 

Bars are cutting drink prices, room prices are discounted (heavily in some cases) but there are just not enough customers about. 

Race to the bottom.  

Was happening pre covid.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 5:48 AM, pattayadude said:

viruses are born,destruct,mutate, kill more, eventually dwindle and  disappear. Bars open then close. Women come and go. We live and die

That's quite deep. 

Any comment on the present?  

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2020 at 5:50 AM, pattayadude said:

human greed

It worked, when farang were prepared to top up losses with their own money from abroad in order to "live the dream."  That's not going to happen again anytime soon. 

If there is no market correction, there will be vacant premises all over Pattaya for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 10:07 AM, rott said:

Wonderful 2 and the Meeting Place surely cannot stagger on for much longer.

Was told some time ago Wonderful Bar was owned by a BiB.  If so, it could be the reason why it can hang in the game.  

On 11/16/2020 at 5:39 PM, jastheace said:

not fair to name names atm, imo, how 'bout you @rott?  crystal ball time. 

S7 and S8 pretty much gone. beach road beyond quiet. walking street more like tip toe street. 

any left along beach road and 2nd road between klang and tai may be next....

In a Youtube interview about 1 month ago, the head of The Nightwish Group said they can continue, as is, for around 3 to 4 more months. 

It's obvious the "as is" is going to be around for a lot longer than that.

They have around 25 bars on Soi 6.   

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 10:42 AM, polpott said:

The thrust of my post was that a formerly iconic and ferang centric hotel has morphed into a totally Thai centric hotel and may have problems when Western tourists start to trickle back in.

I agree.

The trickle of farang coming back will not be enough for the hotel to cater for them, so that trickle of farang will probably never stay at that hotel again, as they weren't catered for.  It's a Catch 22.    

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 12:57 PM, polpott said:

Easier said than done. How do you know in advance whether a hotel is ferang centric or Thai centric?

This will be an issue for the slowly returning western tourists in the future.  

A hotel that they stayed in many times before, may not be the hotel that they were used to in the future.   

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 10:51 AM, jor said:

I go to this bar (when I can get a seat) not for the cheap beer but because it has a good band who play the music that old falangs like. 

Out of interest, how much would you be prepared to pay for a beer, for the atmosphere and band?  80, 90, 100 baht?  

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

In covid times, we have even seen price reductions, but it is not a myth that when business goes down, Thai's raise their prices.  The theory is, "all farang have big money."  They have since discovered the glass ceiling of the "big money."   

I spent an hour or 2 in a little bar off Sukhumvit this afternoon. 3.7k lighter when I left. Best 3.7k I ever spent. A "once in a lifetime" experience. Pattaya has still got it, believe me.

I got my £200 winter fuel allowance this morning. Spent £90 this afternoon and still have enough change to do the same again tomorrow. What glass ceiling? 555

viruses are born,destruct,mutate, kill more, eventually dwindle and  disappear. 

I thought several epidemiologists and the like have stated that viruses do not disappear. Quoting the common cold, the flu, ebola and HIV. 

• Like 1

viruses are born,destruct,mutate, kill more, eventually dwindle and  disappear. 

I thought several epidemiologists and the like have stated that viruses do not disappear. Quoting the common cold, the flu, ebola and HIV. 

15 hours ago, polpott said:

I spent an hour or 2 in a little bar off Sukhumvit this afternoon. 3.7k lighter when I left. Best 3.7k I ever spent. A "once in a lifetime" experience. Pattaya has still got it, believe me.

I got my £200 winter fuel allowance this morning. Spent £90 this afternoon and still have enough change to do the same again tomorrow. What glass ceiling? 555

You are becoming the new Don Mega Mr PP. 

Also I am  curious as to when the areca became iconic. Never knew that. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, polpott said:

Winter fuel allowance can be used for cooling as well as heating. I pay tax in the UK.

To respond to your confusion

1) your life on the wild side seems similar to that claimed by Don Mega. 

2) never thought of the Areca Lodge as an icon. If anywhere possibly the Lek. 

8 minutes ago, rott said:

To respond to your confusion

1) your life on the wild side seems similar to that claimed by Don Mega. 

2) never thought of the Areca Lodge as an icon. If anywhere possibly the Lek. 

I've never heard of "Don Mega" so I'll pass on that. Lek hotel is and always has been a dump frequented by "budget" travellers. Not a place my American friends nor I would consider staying in.