Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

On 11/25/2020 at 7:29 AM, jacko45k said:

Few are open for business......

There are more 7-11s and in the main, those seem to remain open.

I know not all of them are open, but as a company, if they default on the rent of just one, and can't sell off any of their bars, the company could collapse.   

On 11/24/2020 at 7:31 PM, polpott said:

I spent an hour or 2 in a little bar off Sukhumvit this afternoon. 3.7k lighter when I left. Best 3.7k I ever spent. A "once in a lifetime" experience. Pattaya has still got it, believe me.

I got my £200 winter fuel allowance this morning. Spent £90 this afternoon and still have enough change to do the same again tomorrow. What glass ceiling? 555

For Queen and Country.   ????

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2020 at 10:39 AM, rott said:

You are becoming the new Don Mega Mr PP. 

Don is still around, only using one of his other usernames.

Hint : the seafaring Norse people from southern Scandinavia (present-day Denmark, Norway and Sweden)[2][3][4] who from the late 8th to late 11th centuries raided, pirated, traded and settled throughout parts of Europe,

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, rott said:

I think many farangs have fallen in love here including long before the Areca Lodge existed. 

Still don't get the point. And have never heard the place described as iconic before. 

You get the spiel as you check in.... 'have guest, must leave ID with reception, one free, bring two, have to pay 500 baht'. I got the dirty look when I asked how much for 3... probably hear it  daily!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You get the spiel as you check in.... 'have guest, must leave ID with reception, one free, bring two, have to pay 500 baht'. I got the dirty look when I asked how much for 3... probably hear it  daily!

They should charge more for LBs as they always cause trouble apparently

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

This was supposed to be a reply to my post, but I do not see a connection. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Quoting is not always a 'reply', but connection is Areca and Iconic. 

Sorry to be slow jacko but I just do not see anything iconic about the Areca. 

As I said previously I could understand the Lek being called iconic, but not really anywhere else. No big deal but a bit puzzling. 

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

It's imo an urban legend

from my decade experience  (50% lb and 50% girls)

the very rare problems i had were with girls

I'm going by a golf bar/Hotel I used to go to, they banned people bringing LBs back because "there's always trouble" maybe it's the ones who don't tell the customer

41 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You may be waiting a while.  Best to search for a new favourite bar.  

One western foreign gentleman just opened few days ago a new bar in Made in Thailand

has i asked him if he had informations we don't have or just too much money to throw away

his answer was ''Nope, i just have faith in the future of Pattaya''

well....What can you answer to that !?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

One western foreign gentleman just opened few days ago a new bar in Made in Thailand

has i asked him if he had informations we don't have or just too much money to throw away

Just goes to show, for many, Pattaya is a religion.  ????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Now is equivalent of a bottom of a share market crash so a good time to buy or agree a good rent deal. Tourists will surge back in time.

I see the The Hive Hotel (unfortunate name) on Soi Honey is for sale, that looks like a nice place from the outside, not your run of the mill grotty guesthouse

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Tourists will surge back in time.

Pattaya has been quiet for western tourists for the last few high seasons, but very noticeable this past high season, pre covid.  

What makes you think tourists will surge back?  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Now is equivalent of a bottom of a share market crash so a good time to buy or agree a good rent deal. Tourists will surge back in time.

We are not at the bottom yet here in Pattaya

in fact we are still far from it. I'll give 3\6 months more to see real bargains

however even with a good deal, there is no point to open a bar now as you can

only expect losses during the next months (Years?) and as soon as the tourists

will be back (If they are back and with the same interest for your bar, for example the chinese are not of any help for your bizz) you can be sure the rent will be skyrocketing again,eating your few hypothetics profits

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's a good time to buy

Only due to the many commercial premises available to chose from.  

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

and refurbish and you see people doing that

What are they hoping for, and when?  

Once again, Pattaya was quiet for westerners this past high season, pre covid.  

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

but I agree there is a transitional period before back to normal, maybe 1 years time

There may never be a transition back to "normal" because normal was busy bars and restaurants, and that hasn't been the case for a long time.

If you are talking pre covid normal, I would say 2 to 3 years, after the global distribution of vaccines. 

I just can't see high season 2021 being back to "normal" when "normal" was on the decline anyway.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Where were the same "desperate" people this past high season?  It was the quietest high season I have ever seen here, which was also confirmed by business owners and staff.    

Clearly desperate to return after Covid / no milk farang quarantine, see image above

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

There may never be a transition back to "normal" because normal was busy bars and restaurants, and that hasn't been the case for a long time.

I have heard that every year since I've lived here, "This high season has been very quiet, Pattaya is finished". Personally I avoid high season because its too busy. Went out one night in January and literally couldn't get a seat in Billabong. Heaving.