Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

28 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I wasn't a customer of the Biergarden, nor a fan of Marine disco

still imo they were iconics in the Pattaya's entertainment scene

like was also the Bamboo bar in the same area,now closed forever.

As i said wait and see for the Beergarden, the tourists return in

enough numbers could be only in 2022, it's a long wait even with a low lease

I'm not sure Bamboo is closed forever, I recall that Nick YouTuber guy saying mothballed. That place  was very popular so if the previous owner can't re-open someone else should 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Few of them are not a big loss, but some iconic places are lost

Where are you thinking of specifically? For me Pattaya is no one specific place, The Beergarden, mentioned, is cited to reopen when the situation improves. 

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The price of the $100,000 covid insurance is about £1,000 for a year, a good travel insurance for a year with £5m coverage was around £400 last time I bought it, some people will just not want to be milked by these requirements 

Good travel insurance as you describe, certainly that issued in the UK, includes Covid cover with far more than $100K cover.

Check out my thread here.....

50 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The Beergarden, mentioned, is cited to reopen when the situation improves. 

I think that's the point he's trying to make.  The situation isn't going to improve into the foreseeable future, so how long does a business have to be closed, before we call it "closed?"

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I think that's the point he's trying to make.  The situation isn't going to improve into the foreseeable future, so how long does a business have to be closed, before we call it "closed?"

When they come and strip it bare....

With vaccines on the horizon things will improve.... and tourists will return for the sun. The Beergarden is a very good example of  a place that will survive, a rubbish GGB, an overpriced seafood restaurant over the sea, not..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not sure Bamboo is closed forever, I recall that Nick YouTuber guy saying mothballed. That place  was very popular so if the previous owner can't re-open someone else should 

If i remember well i have seen a large ''for rent'' sign in front

but i need to check again in the next days,i am not 100% sure on this one

there are so many of these signs in the entire city now...

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

and people have recently entered with that insurance? 

No idea - I have gone over it "against the day" so to speak for use by tourists, like me.  I do know that the NW one paid me in full for the extra flight I bought in March toi return to UK.

Probably not much use if you're living in Thailand, obviously.

On 11/28/2020 at 5:04 PM, jacko45k said:

Can't seem to delete this, sorry. 

Tim's Bar (or Timbar if you prefer) has been closed the last two nights. 

Possibly another place waiting for happier times, possibly just having a few nights off. 

4 minutes ago, rott said:

Tim's Bar (or Timbar if you prefer) has been closed the last two nights. 

Possibly another place waiting for happier times, possibly just having a few nights off. 

Walked past only recently and got invited, but not a place I have used in some years.... happier days when I used to start early there with their Happy Hour, then on to soi 13/2 (Nevada, or might even have still been Las Vegas back then) for their Happy Hour. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Walked past only recently and got invited, but not a place I have used in some years.... happier days when I used to start early there with their Happy Hour, then on to soi 13/2 (Nevada, or might even have still been Las Vegas back then) for their Happy Hour. 

In the early days, I used to stay at the Intimate Hotel. Every night some little Thai runt would stand outside barring people's way and trying to intimidate them into entering the bar. Every night we would have verbals. For that reason alone, I never went in. Went past about a week ago, it was open but no customers and no runt.

Yes I remember those days when it was just the small bar and they had live music on. 

The Las Vegas......... not many ex-punters of theirs about now. The well known bell ringer still is, but not seen very often. Though he may be caught outside by the Covid. 

On 11/30/2020 at 6:50 PM, jacko45k said:

When they come and strip it bare....

With vaccines on the horizon things will improve.... and tourists will return for the sun. The Beergarden is a very good example of  a place that will survive, a rubbish GGB, an overpriced seafood restaurant over the sea, not..

The lease holder would have to pay for some workers to strip out his assets from the premises, but who is he going to sell these assets to?  Who's going to buy them? 

Example, who is going to buy a pool table, drinks fridge, or bar / restaurant furnishings at the moment?    No one.  So, why would a lease holder pay workers to strip out assets when he can't sell them?  It's just another bill to pay.  Probably best to leave them in place and just walk away in the current climate.

Many businesses here have been said to be "mothballed" probably because the leaseholder's assets are still in place, but there's a good chance many of there are just "walk aways."  It's too early to know which businesses are truly mothballed and which businesses are done.  Time will tell.

As for the vaccine, can you define "horizon?" There's more to restarting tourism than just people receiving the vaccine.  I accept the vaccine is a big step forward, but flight frequency and prices, and open boarders, will need to be favourable, and then there is affordability for the masses and time off work, with many people around the world using up their savings and holiday time.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The lease holder would have to pay for some workers to strip out his assets from the premises, but who is he going to sell these assets to?  Who's going to buy them?

The lease holder himself, he recently signed a new long lease just before Covid, claims closure is temporary. Do you have  better source?

If he did not want do so, he would not keep up with the rent, and you better believe the owner would be round claiming assets in lieu of rent. 

UK approves the vaccine today.

Pattaya will be back... it could restart like a fire in a furniture shop.

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The lease holder himself, he recently signed a new long lease just before Covid, claims closure is temporary. Do you have  better source?

If he did not want do so, he would not keep up with the rent, and you better believe the owner would be round claiming assets in lieu of rent. 

UK approves the vaccine today.

Pattaya will be back... it could restart like a fire in a furniture shop.

I was talking in general, not just about The Beer Garden.

Yes, the vaccine is being deployed, but when do you expect UK tourists, and in what numbers?  I think it will be too little, too late, for many businesses here.

I have no doubt Pattaya will be back, but I think it will start as a trickle, and then slowly build up, rather than a fire in a furniture shop.    

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I was talking in general, not just about The Beer Garden.

Yes, the vaccine is being deployed, but when do you expect UK tourists, and in what numbers?  I think it will be too little, too late, for many businesses here.

I have no doubt Pattaya will be back, but I think it will start as a trickle, and then slowly build up, rather than a fire in a furniture shop.    

I agree with you

the first tourists to arrive will face to a big disapointment with what they would discover

all the fun will be gone and most of the venues will be still closed

it will takes more than few weeks to restart all the city, and more longer the

tourists can not come back (i mean without the quarantine) more hard and long

it will take for the city to rebuild what was lost when the quarantine requirment is out

(At this stage i am not even sure it will happens, at least before 1 or 2 years)

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Have you seen the growlers working in Europe.

Unless you're paying BIG money, flights and accomadation would be the cheaper option.

You must be talking about the street crawlers. 

In any case, time will tell if there is a rush back, or  trickle.  

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Likely to be a trickle i agree.

But for those of us that live here, it's never been better. For domestic travel and for cheap minge.

I agree, although, the city is missing its lively vibe.  

Why did you suggest mongers would rush back for cheap alcohol, alone?  In many respects, alcohol is dearer here than in western countries.  Eg.  wine.